SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gm5465

Cabinet versus Trim - stain color and wood choice

gm5465
14 years ago

I'm finishing my basement and am getting set to trim it out and build cabinets. The main two floors all have Oak cabinets and woodwork with Hemlock 6 panel doors. Also, the windows stain match the oak stain match the door stain - golden oak.

I plan on having the same hemlock doors in the basement as well. The jams on the door can be oak or pine. I was planning on getting oak to match the rest of the house and because I'm not a fan of pine.

We are getting tired of the oak grain and are looking to go with some other wood in the basement for the cabinets. We would also like to go with a darker stain on the cabinets in the basement. However, the window sashes are already stained the golden oak color. My feeling is that the trim around the window should match the window sashes - from a stain perspective. So, if I match those, then the trim would be different from the cabinets - in stain color. So, my question is, "Will it look odd having trim and windows being one stain color, while the cabinets are another stain color?"

Next, if I decide on cherry cabinets, should my trim wood match the cabinets (knowing that my door jambs are oak)? Or, can I have oak trim with cherry cabinets? Seems to me that they should match. However, then I end up with hemlock doors, oak jambs, and cherry trim. Ugh!!

I'm interested in your feedback and thoughts. How would you proceed?

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH