SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kellienoelle

Backsplash help - guess it takes a village to select one

kellienoelle
12 years ago

I'll add to the list of people asking for a little backsplash help. My remodel is coming along nicely, cabinets delivered, will be installed this week, hopefully granite by week end. So that means that the big backsplash decision that I have been putting off is looming closer and closer.

The "style" of the kitchen is transitional. I love modern/contemporary kitchens but it didn't really fit into to my mostly traditional house. The cabinets are cherry in a stain called Kaffe, so a med/dark stain, in kind of a "modified" shaker style. The counters are delicatus granite, the floors are red oak in a medium stain, walls are a gray that can be painted, but I really like the current color if it will work. I wanted to go a bit more contemporary with the backsplash, do something a bit different than the traditional subway, I was originally looking at glass, but have some budgetary constraints. So here is where I am so far....I found these 3x12 cream colored tiles that I am thinking of having laid in a stacked pattern (even staggered, the different shape makes a bit more contemporary) and these wonderfully gorgeous, but expensive linear glass tiles. So, I was thinking of adding in the decorative glass tiles as an accent in maybe two linear strips running the length of the backsplas h(I can't find a pic similar to what I am envisioning, but have seen one GW'er who had something similar but I can't recall who). So, pictures paint a thousand words so here some are, albeit in my current state of construction so ignore the mess.

One of the cabinets (you can also see the wall color)

My husband and I trying to hold up the tiles next to the cabinets and tiny granite sample, so picture the cream tiles stacked broken by two strips of those glass tiles. Oh, and one is matte and one is glossy, so that will be another decision

And for a "safer" option, I like these Sonoma crackle cream tiles too, but they only come in the traditional 3x6 subway size.

And then here is a pic of them laying down since it was kind of hard to hold them up.

So, what do you think? Yay or nay? I know that accents don't get a whole lot of love here, but I would love to use that beautiful glass somewhere, I can't afford that much of it. Thanks for the help!

Comments (14)