SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ianb_co

Minimal finish to skim coated ceiling - preserving plaster look

ianb_co
16 years ago

I've just finished removing the popcorn ceiling in the upstairs rooms of our new house (I'll post pics and a narrative of the process on the renovation forum in the next few days). I asked my wife what color she'd like me to paint them, and she replied, I thought you were going to leave them as they are! I have to admit, after three skim coats of joint compound put down with a trowel, they look pretty darned good - not quite the burnished look of real plaster, but close. So what should I use to keep the look? I'd like to preserve some of the natural variation in tones that the ceiling now has, although I might want to dial it back a bit in some places; I suppose I could hit those areas with another coat of joint compound if needed. I've seen Gardz mentioned in the other popcorn posts; what does it look like when dry (ie, flat, semigloss, gloss)? Can I add pigment to Gardz? Is it put down with a 1/4" roller like any other primer? No harm in experimenting, I suppose - if it doesn't come out well, a coat of eggshell on top will be a snap.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Ian

Comments (5)