SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Crocheted coverlet, need quick advice by March 1 (tomorrow!)

Since I need help quickly, I posted this here as well as in antiques. I need to find out the right way to use this by tomorrow. Thanks for your help!

I bought this crocheted coverlet or bedspread today at a local antique store. I have been looking for one for a while; IâÂÂd seen this one earlier, the dimensions were on it; I measured my bed and went back for it, thinking it would fit. I told the owner I wasnâÂÂt sure if it would fit, and she said I could exchange it as long as I did it by tomorrow (no returns, just exchanges). But the measurements were short by a foot. This one was the pattern I liked best, and the other one there that looked big enough would go all the way to the floor, which might be TOO much.

But before I take it back, maybe itâÂÂs me that is wrong about how this is supposed to be used. I was imagining it used as more or less like a bedspread: spread over and tucked under the pillows. But I donâÂÂt really know how these were used originally.

If I lay it with the longest dimension from the head to the foot of the bed, it covers, barely, as is shown in the first images. No tucking under the pillows the way I normally would. You can see the shadow where it stretches over the gap. But then the sides donâÂÂt even cover the mattress. It pretty much just covers the top. If I fail to tuck the top sheet in under the edge of the mattress (and I am not that much of a daily neatnik), it would be hanging down below the edge.

If I lay it with the longest dimension ACROSS the bed, THEN it drapes over the sides: not a lot, but better. (The side away from the camera is shorter, I cheated.) That would leave the pillows uncovered. If this is how a crocheted coverlet is supposed to be used, what does one do then about the pillows? It looks too informal to just leave them out there. I took another shot with some shams I have that match another bedspread. These are not the right choice of pattern, but are they the right concept to go with the crocheted coverlet?

If not, what DO I use? Or is it just too small and I need to look for a bigger one?

Someone please tell me what looks best! I have to decide quickly!

Below longways used as bedspread:

Below long dimension used sideways, pillows exposed:

Below with test shams

Thanks so much for your help!

Comments (11)