SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
auntyara

my neighbor's dog.

auntyara
10 years ago

My neighbor has a small farm. a few chickens, ducks, turkeys... And a dog to guard them. Well kinda.
His dog thinks he's lassie and loves everyone in the whole wide world. everyone!
He has been taken to the pound a few time because well meaning people see him walking in the grass, down the street and just assume he's lost. He'll jump into any car that stops and opens the door.
My neighbor works 2hrs from home and my son picks him up when this happens. The dog loves my son like he's god and refuses to go home. He'll go home for a few minutes but always sleeps at my house. (neighbor wants us to adopt him)
We love this dog and we let him do his thing. he visits certain people and they keep dog biscuits for when he does. I consider him the neighbor hood dog.
Here's the huge problem. He walks in the grass along the road and dramatic people tell lies about him.

I've had 2 different people claim that they picked him up off the highway. I said wow he was on 84? and they admit well no but he was on the ramp. On the ramp??? well no not on the ramp but he was heading that way.

I'm so sick of well meaning dog lovers exaggerating. One of his favorite families (they have a little 9 yr blind child) live near the ramp. This dog would not go on the highway. He's way to smart for that.

OK right about now some of you may be getting upset. I don't blame you one bit. I used to get mad as all heck myself!!! How could he let his dog just walk around practically in the street like that?

Well this dog is amazing he looks both ways before crossing the street and is almost human like.
He seems to love the elderly / kids of special needs the most.
Because he thinks my son is his savior, he picked us over his owner.

2 weeks before Christmas he went missing. Half the the neighborhood was worried. We put up posters, posted on CL, posted on FB posted on lost and found pets in the Hudson valley, called shelters in 2 states. everything we could think of. Nothing. we almost gave up hope. 38 days after he went missing the person who took him contacted a friend of my daughter. Long story short we got him back. The person took him because they claimed he was on the highway. Then they changed it to... well not on the highway, he was on the ramp heading to the highway... Really?? well...
I'm so happy he's back but I keep thinking I want to punch them in the face!
We all were so worried. And they claimed he wasn't wearing a collar. I could hear by the tone of their voice they lied about that too. ( conversation was on the phone) I thanked them earnestly and profusely for "finding" our dog.
Again I sent my son to go get him at their house. Well the person lectured my son and said to keep him on a chain because he ran away from them 3 times already. My son politely explained the dog lives near the ramp and thinks he's Lassie.

As you can imagine the dog was crying at the sight of my son and I hope it broke their hearts to see what they did to this dog and a sweet teenage boy.
When he got him home he cried and jumped all over me too. It's been 2 days and he's finally acting some what normal again, but wont leave the yard. He's afraid to go to his owners house. They broke his spirit. It's like he's been shell shocked.

I know they saw the signs in the local deli and they stole him the day he went missing for spite. He's a huge white dog that sheds hair like nobodies business. They got tired of cleaning up after him.

Seriously if they were thinking in the dogs best interest, why didn't they call the local shelter or the dog catcher? (who of course knows and loves the dog) Heck the freaking mayor knows the dog.

I'm trying to let the whole thing go and I know that "liars have to live with their lies", not me. But it gets me so upset that they would do this. I didn't tell anyone in the neighborhood, they just know he's home safe and sound.

sorry I just had to rant!!! And you guys don't know me, so you wont spread gossip in a small town. Neither will I.
thanks for listening.

Comments (13)