SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anne_marie_alb

Sudden death in cat

Anne_Marie_Alb
15 years ago

Not my cat, but still upsetting (and Elly, I apologize from bringing up Sofie's memory)!! This is a cat at the shelter where I volunteer. Last Tuesday morning, they found that cat dead. He was just fine before, and certainly fine the last time I saw him (the Thursday before). Probably 3 years old, somewhat thin, male. He had been at the shelter for about a month. He was there before, was adopted and returned recently. Active, loving, affectionate cat. He came from the same 'situation' (43 cats rescued from an apartment, probably all interbred) as the other 3 cats I adopted in 2008, and was the spitting image of my most recently adopted cat. This saddened me a great deal, but I am also concerned for my 3, as there could be some bad genes.

Possible reasons for a sudden death? Heart problems, untreated heartworms... anything else?

I hesitated posting (especially as nothing can be done), but something keeps haunting me. A student artist has been coming to draw cats, and I just realized pastel crayons are toxic to cats. Our cats LOVE to play with pens, pencils. We simply have to hide them all as they carry them all around. IF (and I know this is a big IF) that cat had got into one of those crayons, could the reaction have been fatal? Apparently, the staff did not find anything unusual -like throw up for example (but they have so many cats!!), and, maybe, they tried not to upset me.

Anyway, just wandering,

Anne-Marie

Comments (20)