SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
k_janel

Cat: Possible Broken Metatarsal[s], Vomiting, Other

k_janel
15 years ago

My cat Rory [five year old longhair orange tabby male; large cat 20 lbs.; strictly indoor; no new changes around the house; on special urinary diet] recently began to limp.

I checked it out and didn't feel any abnormalities in the leg other than some swelling and we thought it to be a sprain so I used cold compresses and extra TLC but now he's worse.

My mom tried using small doses [according to his weight] of homeopathic remedies for calming him and addressing the pain and inflammation [arnica montana and children's "rescue remedy"] but he had stopped eating and consequently his stomach became upset and he began to vomit bile [generally clear in color only slight yellow tinge]. We stopped giving him the meds but the vomiting has not only continued but has become more frequent.

We've started pushing water and canned food/water mixture by syringe [as in squirting into the mouth, of course], with hopes of preventing dehydration. He generally is taking it down well but within the hour he'll end up vomiting most of it up.

Checking the leg again, there is a bump on the metatarsals and it's very sensitive to even slight pressure but only in that isolated area [toes, femur, etc. are fine to the touch]. Additionally, Rory will no longer place any weight on that leg.

Is this most likely a fracture? What is causing the vomiting? Insides of the ears and gums are ashen- is this a sign of shock? What can be done, excluding veterinary care, to help?

Note that I fully understand that I should be taking him to the vet; however, two years ago we spent $3500 on him and unfortunately spending what I'm sure he would require is not in the cards for us, especially as we've already spent what we have on him [not to mention his special veterinary diet which costs a fortune in itself]. With that said, any constructive advice would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks,

Kelly

Comments (7)