SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardenwebber

My kitchen reno has become a BEAST!

gardenwebber
16 years ago

I usually am over on the kitchen forum, but our project has run into other rooms of the house. Has this happened to anyone else? We started out wanting to gut and remodel our kitchen... which led to taking out a wall between our kitchen and dining room... which led to tearing out plaster and lathe to studs... which led to changing some doorway sizes/locations... which led to more gutting in adjacent rooms... which led to a bigger dumpster... which led to.. OH HECK, lets just gut ALL the rooms we plan on doing to save money on the dumpster (use the biggest dumpster one time instead of going back and forth with little dumpsters) and so now... I have a shell of a house (well, almost) and I am feeling overwhelmed with all the possible layout variations due to the fact that we can pretty much change anything we want at this point (doorways, walls, etc.)

Any advice on how to simplify this? I would love to hear what layouts people are using in their homes that seem to work the best. Do you use a formal DR? If you multipurpose that DR, what other function does it serve? Do you have a living room AND family room? How many table and chair sets does one really need in their home?

After our renovation, we will have a large kitchen that will have a 3 seat island in it, as well as a smaller "everyday" eating table off to the side. In addition, there will be a dining room that will have a china cabinet plus table that extends to seat 10 when necessary (can be reduced to an accent table for the other 360 days of the year.)

Also, we have a roomy FR where I will have a computer armoire plus the large TV. I am thinking of trying to multipurpose the DR as an additional seating area to the FR. (We have 3 kids and love to entertain, so its nice to have alternate places to go)

Anyways... I would love to hear how others are making the most of their space, and if anyone else has every gone over the deep end during renovation. I am feeling like maybe we over-demo'ed.

Comment (1)