SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
munkos

My kitty is getting fat!

munkos
17 years ago

So long story short. My kitten will eat anything. Its a race between her and the dogs when food is dropped on the floor to see who can get to it first. She will chew through anything with food in it (dog food bags, cat food bags, BREAD!) within seconds of it being left wherever.

Problem being, is it seem to be a possesive act. She will run to her food dish anytime anyone walks by it, and eat. Even if she was sleeping, or had just eaten. We cant go by her food dish without her eating. If the other cat get up by the food dish, she'll run and eat, even if the other cat is not eating.

I have to lock the dogs food bowl up in her crate when it has food in it and the dog isnt eating yet, or the cat will go in the crate and eat it. The bigger dog has to be fed in our garage, or the cat will eat it.

Now I know simple solution is to feed her twice a day, and twice a day only. No free-feeding. But my calico is a grazer. When she eats, she only has a few bites, and then goes on her merry little way. She eats a couple times a day, but not very much. I could give her a heaping bowl of food and it would last her days. With the kitten around, I bet it'd last half a day. My calico is skinny, too. Not underweight, but Im willing to bet she's probably near it. I don't know if feeding them at strict intervals would be good for her, as I dont think she should loose any weight. And Im not sure if putting them on weight loss food would be good, either.

I'm fairly certain the kitten doesnt have worms, as she was dewormed right after I adopted her. It seems behavioural. When I first got her though, she stayed alone in the spare room for a few weeks to get rid of her cold and adjust, and she free fed just fine. She never gorged. She's never had food taken away from her, so I don't understand why she does the things she does. She isnt fat yet, but shes definately getting pudgy!

I'd like to get to the root of the problem, and figure out whats going on in her fuzzy little head, rather than just fix it without knowing whats wrong. But Im at a loss, any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths