SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
canishel

Questions about frameless cabinets

canishel
13 years ago

Please give your input, whether it's experience, observations, or theoretical opinions. GW has such a wealth of information available and so many kind folks who give that information. I don't want to rely on marketing statements.

I think I want frameless cabinets for my small kitchen in order to maximize space. Current thinking is shaker style, maple, plywood construction, and solid wood doors and drawer fronts (i.e., not veneered). Local cabinet suppliers have limited displays of frameless cabs, ranging from one cabinet sitting all by itself to a small series on one short wall. I'm not interested in long- distance buying and warranties. We do have many manufacturers represented here, just not many frameless displays.

How durable are the edges? That is, the cut visible edge of plywood is covered with some sort of tape (iron-on type?). How well does that edge wear with multiple door and/or drawer closings? I notice on the edges on shelves in our framed cabinets are beginning to show wear (I don't know if our shelves are plywood or MDF).

How and where is the need for filler or scribe moulding determined? I realize that cabinet pulls on doors need to be taken into account where the cabinet side butts up against a wall. But are there any other restrictions?

Does the cabinet for a wall oven need reinforcement? I don't want a tall cabinet for the oven, just a base cabinet. Current plan is to have a plywood "wall" to house the frig on one side of the oven base cab and another base cab on the other side of the oven base cab. The thinking is that the neighbors and the countertop would help maintain structural integrity. One KD says that isn't the case and wants to use a mini face frame on the oven cab.

Are there any problems opening cabinet doors more than 90 degrees?

Do veneered panels and drawer fronts warp less than solid ones? For example, our current solid oak drawer fronts no longer fit snugly against the face frames. How well does veneer hold up to scrubbing? So which is the lesser problem?

How long does it take to make an estimate for cabinet pricing?

I'm sure I'm not asking enough questions, but don't know what else to ask. Any and all comments are appreciated.

Comments (15)