SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rhome410

Continue backsplash on sink wall? Please vote

rhome410
14 years ago

Dh has now trimmed the window and has started on the dish hutch (obviously still needs doors, drawer fronts, more shelves, and upper trim), so I'm looking at the wall and trying to decide what will make it 'finished.' My backsplash is decided, and complete on all walls except by the sink...which seems like if you're going to have a backsplash, other than behind the stove, this is where it should be. I am leaning a bit toward 'no,' but DH is leaning strongly 'yes.' But I get the say. :-) Now if I could only be sure of my own opinion.

Reasons to put up the backsplash:

-It's the only 'blank' wall left. Does it look unfinished without?

-To protect behind the sink and finish things off better where counter meets the wall.

-It was the plan and I have the tile.

-It 'connects' the wall and counter colors, and connects sink wall with stove wall.

-It could look fantastic, but I'm just not envisioning it because of being used to the way it is.

Reasons not to have it:

-It'd be a pain to install right. (I 'cheated' and installed the other tiny tiles in my kitchen on a backboard first, then installed to wall, so I could get the layout with the custom-DIY-mixed mosaics 'just right.' Can't do that here with the exposed top edge.)

-It is the only wall where the backsplash isn't hemmed on all sides by wall and upper cabinets. Just not the same situation as the rest, so may not call for the same treatment?

-I kind of like the cleaner, simpler look of the wall without. I'm not sure I like that it's not hemmed in, and just ending in the middle of the wall.

Of course, I can't post anything without plenty of pictures....

The wall as it is today:

A closeup of the tile sample:

Trying to imagine what it will look like tiled. That's about the height it would be:

A reminder of what's on the other walls:

So...

__Yes, put it up because it will look better and more finished.

or

__No, it won't look as nice, or just won't really add anything.

??

Thanks! :-)

Comments (87)