SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beaglesdoitbetter1

Doors Again- Revised- Opinions please.. Again :) :)

beaglesdoitbetter1
13 years ago

I've takens ome of the comments I got on my door and kitchen in general and have made some revisions. I'm sure there are still more corrections to make. As always, I am worried about making things too busy. I am also unsure what I will be doing about hardware b/c now I'm reconsidering using the same bar pulls on every cabinet. So, please share:

- Are the cabinets too busy w/ so many doors?

- What would you change, what would you do differently?

- Do you like the hardware?

The photoshops are pretty true to represent what I'm doing except for the blues, which obviously will all match in real life (although I'm debating doing a lighter blue in the china cabinets instead of doing the same darker blue as the hood and the plate rack). Comments and thoughts are welcome on that to.

Perspective view:

Sink wall:

China cabinet wall:

Stove wall:

Comments (41)

• rococogurl
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

If you love your kitchen plan that's all that counts. You seem to be headed in a direction that is pretty specific but you are asking style questions.

For me there are so many line changes, embellishments and so many focal points my eye has no place to rest.

There are some terrific features and a nice color scheme. Yet proportionately, there isn't a lot of counter space.

Basically he kitchen appears to be designed predominately for china storage. I have a lot of dishes myself so I'm attuned to storage but again, it's a question of balance. If a good deal of cooking or entertaining to take place in this kitchen, I see some functional bottlenecks.

I could see better balance on the perimeter. I'd break up the china cabinet wall with a counter/buffet in the center. I feel it needs some open space.

Overall, I'd decide on one glass door style and one door style. I'd work some single cabinet doors with pullouts inside in several places to alleviate the busyness. I'd also go much simpler with the cabinet hardware or if that's to be more elaborate (the blue and white ceramic handles can be beautiful, f.ex.) then dial back other things.

Can't tell exactly what's next to the ovens but that's not a placement that would be easy -- you've got ovens opening into the main path from the sink to the range.

The cooktop appears to be enclosed in a niche (or perhaps it's just corbels; cannot tell). Usually that design is for an all-on range that requires a chimney vent. It overwhelms the cooktop plus there's no open space to each side, again a functional issue.

Cannot tell from the rendering what's going on in the island but it doesn't appear to be working hard enough for you.

It looks like you have great space and some strong ideas. I think it would benefit from editing the design and taking a harder view of some practical issues.

For all of us, however, these judgments are personal and so much depends on what each individual feels she needs/wants vs how someone else sees it.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks rococogurl. I didn't post very much background here, since I assumed everyone had seen my kitchen :) But, basically
    1. I don't cook. Anything. Ever. Neither does DF. We may have a housekeeper cook some, but we predominately eat out and occasionally heat up takeout.
    2. The island is actually an 11 foot long island with a 36 inch sink. That will be our main counter space (I don't want people on the perimeter counters b/c they are marble... Of course, I don't really want people on the main island either b/c it is blue bahia which also etches, but that is another story) So, I think we'll have a good amount of counter space and that sink can serve as "prep" if we need it.
    3. The cooktop just has corbels and a chimney style hood.
    4. Next to the ovens is a door to the walk-in pantry.

The walls and stuff are already up too, so I don't think I'm moving any of the features now. I am mostly concerned w/ style, so I especially appreciate your door comments.
    - Which of the door frames do you think would be best to be eliminated? I had done a repeating series of patterns- the "corbel" pattern on two cabinets on each wall and then the arches, but maybe I should forego the arches and go square? Or is the door and drawer itself too busy, which I am still unsure of?
    - Which sets of drawers would you lose for pullouts?

• Related Discussions

Liftmaster Garage Door Opener 1265LM closes all opens up again

Q

Comments (2)
    If the door hits the floor and then reverses it is traveling too far in the down direction. Here is the way it works. When the door hits the floor, the motor stalls and the interrupter cup quits spinning and the RPM sensor board quits sending a pulse to the logic board. The logic board reverses the motor and the door opens. What needs to be done is figure out why the 'down limit' is not working or if it is just out of adjustment. The easiest way to do this is remove the cover of the motor unit and watch the limit switch assembly while the door is closing. Turn the down limit several turns in the opposite direction of the arrow printed on the cover. This should get the door to stop short of hitting the floor. Now some tweaking will be involved to get it right. You have it right about the thermal protector. It is to protect the motor from over heating and sometimes seems a pain you know where.
    ...See More

I need help again, revised plan (pic's included)

Q

Comments (16)
    I like the overall bones of the plan. I think that if it were me, I'd make the following tweaks (of course, this is all personal preference): 1) Windows in dining room and den--change to 1 set of 2 double hung windows stuck together, rather than 2 separate double hungs. I prefer wider windows than multiple smaller windows. This is also easier with window coverings. Instead of 4 panels, you'll only need 2. 2) Stairs to basement, I'd open the stairs to basement on the family room side. I just personally really dislike enclosed stair cases. I'd add a door at the bottom of the basement steps if you plan on closing that space off. that open top stair well will also give you more flexibility in moving large objects downstairs. 3) Garage entry--I'd carve out a small place to hang my coat, drop my keys, etc. It doesn't sound like you have kids living at home, but I'd still want a place for DH and me to drop our things. 4) Is there a way to get a window into your main floor bath? You are so close to an exterior wall. May be a little bit of reconfiguring can get a window in there. I love natural light, especially in a bathroom. 5) Stair landing on 2d floor-- Open up stairwell by moving door to bonus room to left about 6 ft. You can still close off that space, but at least you'll have a more open stairwell (and also give you more flexibility in moving large objects upstairs). Me, personally, I'd also open the stairwell to the nook so that you can get natural light into the stairwell area. You could add a door between the nook and the bonus room if you want to close that space off, may be even double french doors? Also, I'd get rid of the wall right in front of the stairs between it and the bathroom. 6) 2d floor bathroom--I'd push the sink into the storage area. You have so much space upstairs, it seems kind of too bad to make a cramped little bathroom upstairs. 7) Bigger windows in bedrooms 3 & 4 Anyway, it sounds like you guys are empty nesters. In building the house, it sounds like you want the ability and flexibility to live on only 1 floor. That being so, I'd just be careful not to make the other spaces seem like second class citizens in the house. The main spaces just seem so much nicer and sunnier than the other spaces. Although the other spaces don't have to be as nice, it doesn't take that much to add bigger windows and give those spaces an airier feel. Just my 2 cents. Good luck!
    ...See More

Again...tile floor layout opinions...with pics

Q

Comments (4)
    I have a similar situation (I think?), so I'm posting a pic for you. The narrow part is the entryway with the front door on the right, and the wood floor is the living room. At first I envisioned doing the floor in the entryway a different tile than the kitchen floor but ultimately decided to keep it the same. It makes the space appear larger since it is one color of tiles. We also opened up the entry way by way of removing the entire door frame into the kitchen. This is a small cape, so opening up the entry way makes it feel more spacious, and the kitchen floor going into the entry hall ties it together nicely. Here's another pic.
    ...See More

Need opinions on an area rug AGAIN!!

Q

Comments (27)
    Oakleyok: I also was wondering about a red color, maybe that's what I'm liking in the Company C rug. This Jaipur does come in red too and I can look at it in person on Fri. Parma: Yes, you do deserve a pic of the smaller version that I have in my LR. I promise to post one either later tonight or tomorrow when there's more natural light:)
    ...See More
  • dianalo
    13 years ago

The only thing I would change for sure is the display pasta, beans, etc.... Not 100% sure why, but those may be too cutesy for your kitchen, which is more grown up than that.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

DIanalo you don't think the rest is too busy w/ all the doors?

I would love to change those display things. I'm not sure what to put there though, that was a real issue for us. Immediately opposite that side of the island there are book shelves to the front and a recycling pull out to the back. So, we can't have cabinets/functional drawer there. I originally had little false drawer fronts like apothecary fronts but thought that made it even busier. We can't do just a plain island side, which would have been my preference, b/c the microwave drawer is in the island on one side and the side you are looking at here, those middle drawers are fridge and freezer drawers. I don't love the display things either, so if you or anyone else has another suggestion, that would be fantastic!

• Adrienne2011
    13 years ago

I dig the scroll work on those upper cabs. This is going to be the best kitchen for coffee (with whipped cream) and warm croissants. Or scones... It's a fairy tale kitchen. I'm not knowledgable enough to give advice, though. :o)

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks adrienne :) A fairy tale kitchen is exactly what I am going for.

So, you don't think it is too busy then?

• remodelfla
    13 years ago

I'm trying to wrap my head around it just being a show kitchen and I am a simple line girl so I really can't comment on the door styles competing with each other. However, I do have an idea (albeit pricey one) if you don't want the storage doors showing on the island. You are using Blue Bahia granite right?... what if you did a granite return to the floor? Looks show stopping beautiful in some of the kitchens I've seen.

• rococogurl
    13 years ago

Beagles, I opened your thread just to see what was going on. Had never seen your kitchen before and know nothing about it except what I'm seeing on these renderings. So, I'm casting a fresh eye on it.

It's clear from the design and placement of things that the purpose of the kitchen isn't workability. So I assume you aren't concerned about resale either. I don't happen to agree with that approach as a designer but certainly can accept that's what you want.

I do feel some editing would solve a lot of issues. I would pick one door style and one glass style -- choose the one you like best. I don't see what the arabesque pattern adds to the overall design f.ex.

My general thought is that there needs to be a better balance between cabinet doors and drawers. You know what's going in there so you need to choose which to change.

One suggestion: you're giving the cabinet people a year of profit. I'd sit down with them and have them make suggestions. There's a great deal that could be done.

You might enjoy seeing a kitchen that reminds me a bit of your plan, not for suggestions (though I'm mad for the sink in the island), just for enjoyment.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue Kitchen

• allison0704
    13 years ago

As always, I am worried about making things too busy.

Take the scrolls off the fridge doors. Leave them off the large dish storage cabinet doors too; make them all like the three in the center.

The busiest things to me are the tile border and random tile inserts. I would stick with the range mural and the rest the marble brick tiles. When looking at the hood wall, the border is visually distracting from the pretty mural. On the other wall, the random tiles are very distracting (to me). If you really want the border above the sink, drop it down to counter height. ?

No arched doors above oven. Should be flat if glass doors to the right are flat.

No scrolls on either side of cooktop either. ;) Arched doors are almost always used only on top cabinet doors. They look "off" somehow on lower doors. (I mentioned this last thread.)

Is DF your Dear Friend, Dear Father or Dear Frank? ;) Just curious and you certainly don't have to answer.

I don't love the display things either

I am SO glad to hear you say that! I've got to get off computer, so can you put island pictures on this thread?

I think the waterfall ends suggested above are too modern for your kitchen. But I wouldn't go sticking false drawers everywhere either. I agree with Roc on asking for the cabinetmakers advice, but realize it may be just him and no "designer" at his shop.. so you might get better answers here. ? I assume you've looked through his pictures to see past work for suggestions he would have anyway.

You can do large wood panels on the ends.

I love Roc's suggestion of some blue/white handles, but not if everything else in the room is too busy.

When does all this need to be finalized?

• brickton
    13 years ago

I just wanted to chime in that the busiest thing that caught my eye were the random tile inserts by the sink. Taking those out would tie the kitchen together much more so than the differently sized scrolls which appear forced and overly matchy.

I don't mind the scrolls on either the fridge wall or the china wall but having them in both with one glass, the other not and then trying to repeat on the sink in a different scale just doesn't feel right. Maybe if the china wall didn't have glass behind it, it might feel more natural?

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Beagles- I love the scrolls on the fridge and pantry! They are so beautiful and very fairy tale :)

I think the scrolls on the glass is probably a little too busy, but I think the dish storage might look better the same blue as the rest of the kitchen. I know you're trying to lighten it up, but with the bahia, picking one blue for accent paint might make things easier...and you will have an easier time picking fabric, too.

For the side of the island...I would put the bookshelves. I think that's a fabulous look and if you don't need MORE bookshelves, maybe put something else by the stools...but can you really have too many cookbooks and pretties?

I love all the arches, the arched doors, the hardware and even the backsplashes...extra tiles and all. From what I can see, this SO fits your personality. It would not work for most people, but I believe you can totally pull this off! Remember, you're french manor, not french country, so go for some glitz and glamour...and enjoy yourself! It's going to be absolutely beautiful :)

• mtnfever (9b AZ/HZ 11)
    13 years ago

Hi beagle (love your name--my first two dogs were beagles!). I don't have a design eye or anything, but I do have a comment/suggestion on your china storage wall. I have a built-in china/entertaining hutch which is basically upper and lower cabinets with a countertop on the lowers. The thing that's really nice is the countertop to land the dishes on, so then you can open/close the door (or drawer) without balancing a stack of dishes with just one hand. So there's a double benefit to creating the open space on that rococogirl talked about!

Of course, maybe all those glass cabinets are for displaying your dog competition swag and so you'll never open the doors and my point is moot, but maybe not. :)

hth

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Remodelfa- I think that might be too modern to do the granite edges going all the way down. Plus, like I said, the drawers have to remain in the middle so I don't think I could do granite ends w/ drawers in the middle. But thanks for the suggestion :_

rococo guru: Thanks for your comments :) Nope, don't care about resale at all. I also took out the laundry room to put a dog room in the house, and stuck the washing machines in closets, which I am sure is horrific for resale. We are intending to live here for about 50-60 years so resale is not the purpose of our decisions.

I had added the scrollwork b/c I wanted to mirror the end panels on the glass which I wanted to do "fancier" to break up the wall of glass. I am now rethinking that.

My cabinet maker is great and helpful w/ suggestions but I want such specific design stuff that I don't know if he can help me w/ this level of detail (it is a small custom mennonite cabinet maker shop).

That kitchen picture you linked to was beautiful :)

alison: Another vote for losing the scrolls :) That seems to be the general consensus here. I like the arches better so maybe that is the solution. I am also going to change the scrolls to arches on the lowers on that stove wall I think.

I am also thinking I want to get rid of the border now to. I like it better w/o in the renderings I think.

I'll change the arched doors above the oven. I wasn't sure what to do w/ that b/c I had wanted each of the door styles on each wall for continuity and that was the only place to stick them on that wall.

DF = dear fiance. We plan to get married in the new house once it is built.

I don't really know when this needs to be finalized. We have quotes for the kitchen based on my initial drawings and our cab. person is doing measurements and stuff this week and then his own drawings. So I think I have a little time.

I am posting pictures of the island below as well as some other drawings of ideas for the doors.

THanks brickton. I think I am probably going to eliminate those random tile inserts. The fridge cabinet and china wall cabinets are both actually the same size in real life (36 wide) so I had thought doing the same pattern on those two end ones would give me continuity.

Lavender- you'd put the bookshelves where on the island? I already have book shelves on the front of the island, so I can't put them on the side too b/c there isn't enough depth.

Thanks mtnfever. The china cabinet storage wall w/ the long wall of glass was the thing I designed the kitchen around. I don't know if I want to break it up w/ a counter or not... They are mostly going to be for decoration dishes. But, I can think about that b/c you do raise a good practical point� If I were to incorporate counter, would you do it at the ends? Or in the middle?

Here are pictures:
    Island on the side of the wall by china cab (no I don't intend to use those stools, they were just the ones I had to photoshop in)

Island sides:

Island sink side:

Island showing "toe kick" (we had to come w/ a solution b/c the vent on the kitchenaid fridge/freezer drawers can't be covered and I didn't want it showing- so I added carved open toe kick)

Alternative Option 1:

Alternative Option 2:

Alternative Option 3:

Alternative Option 4:

Alternative Option 5:

Alternative Option 6:

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Oops! I forgot that was such a shallow space! I saw a beautiful kitchen...that used colorful candies for those little drawers. It was so pretty, but I don't know if that's what you want to do in your space...but it was charming! :)

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Colored candies are a clever idea. Thanks lavender. I'm not sure what I am going to do in there... That space has been a problematic one.

• mtnfever (9b AZ/HZ 11)
    13 years ago

first of all, I forgot to say previously how *fabulous* your mockups are-- what a great way to visualize your kitchen! I loved your dogs in their crates in your other post :) .

I'm a matchy-matchy kind of person or more kindly, I love classic symmetry lol, so I would put the countertop in the middle of your china storage run so it reflects the same look as the opposite wall with the cooktop/countertops. then, you could put down dishes in the middle and work to either side of cabinets as a practical matter.

I like alternative #3 but as I said, I don't have a design eye and with the whole symmetry complusion overriding aesthicics, I vote that you look for the others' input :)

cheers

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks mtnfever.

I like symmetry too, that's why I tried to make each wall symmetrical and have the patterns mirror each other.

I like #3 too. There are things I like and dislike about each of the options. Makes it so hard!

• allison0704
    13 years ago

I am also going to change the scrolls to arches on the lowers on that stove wall I think.

You mean the two lower arched doors on stove wall?

Congratulations! Fiance never entered my mind. I've never cared for that word - not sure why. lol

They are mostly going to be for decoration dishes. But, I can think about that b/c you do raise a good practical point� If I were to incorporate counter, would you do it at the ends? Or in the middle?

What about stepping back each end cabinet or the three in the middle and doing a tad (foot or so) of counter in the front of the cabinets stepped back?

I'm voting for #2, but a single arch panel on each fridge door.

Are you sure you don't want pull-out trash right next to sink? If you are scraping/tossing into garbage, then putting pots/pans/dishes in sink you'll have to step towards the garbage to do this. I know you said you don't cook but...

I like the pull-out baskets, but don't care for the glass fronts. Especially since they are non-working. What is wrong with having one tall, square panel instead? Everything doesn't have to be ornate to be pretty, ifykwim.

Think about lowering the mural a row or two, so that everything on that wall is not in a row. Maybe one row up from counter. Doesn't have to be centered up/down in space.

• kaismom
    13 years ago

If you want more baroque style of kitchen, you should go all out. The style reminds me of French baroque style of design. I actually think you should do gold guild look with lots of scrolls. That is what will set your kitchen apart from yet another "white" kitchen that will be so blah in a few years. Your kitchen is absolutely NOT my style and I know nothing of these types of design. However, what will make your kitchen stand apart is pushing all envelops and making it completely yours by not following white/marble kitchen so predominant these days.

Option 3 and 4 of frig doors look like Colonial American rather then French baroque. Does not go with the rest of the kitchen. I actually like the Arabeque type of scrolls for this particular kitchen.

I would swap the drawers that go under the range top without a break in the middle. You will have a wide drawer that will balance the shape and size of the frig/freezer.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Allison-
    Yes, the two lower cabinets you suggested I change I think are going to be changed. (Although I"m not sure b/c DF says he likes it WITH the arches, but we're still working out the fine point details on that). I am also 99.9 percent sure we are eliminating the listello tile and just going w/ the mural. On the sink wall, I think I'm either going to do nothing or do a few tiny 2x2 deco flowers. I have to get DF's ok on that but I think it should be fine.

The end cabinets on that china cabinet wall, the two at the end, are already stepped back. If I do that, I'd have to make the lower cabinets not glass right? Just solid. I couldn't have glass, counter, glass I don't think right?

The pull out cannot be next to the sink directly. The marble sink on the other wall has dish washers on both sides of it, so no place to put a trash by that sink. I put this pull out on the end so it could be used for both sinks. I also did it to have symmetry on the island because we need to have two of them (one for trash, one for recycling - the space isn't deep enough for two cans so we need two separate ones and there is a third dish washer next to the island sink so it couldn't be on both sides.

I wanted to have one tall square panel end on the island.. but I have to have the drawers in the middle. The microwave and the fridge/freezer drawers have to be placed where they are (partly b/c no other place to put them and partly b/c those fridge/freezer drawers are directly open to the breakfast room and accessible right from the gathering and great room- those are my drinks and ice cream fridge and freezer drawers. Would you do plain end panels w/ just stray drawers in the middle of them?

I think I will lower the mural.

I like number two because of the simplicity and it is the least busy. But, I'm concerned in either that version or a single arched version that this is the one that makes it look most like a fridge, instead of like an armoire.

Thanks so much for your comments and your help. I really appreciate it. Your kitchen (and whole house) is so pretty and it's great you are willing to share your decorating knowledge with others here :)

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

kaismom
    I originally just wanted two drawers under the stove. It is a 42 inch cooktop though, w/ 6 inches of landing space on either side, so the drawers would have to be 48 inches wide. Can I do a drawer that big do you think?

DF would NOT go for gold scrolls. I like the idea, but that would be a no go for sure :)

I want it to be a glamour french manor style. The whole house is somewhat glam french manor (hand carved marble mantel in the gathering room off the kitchen for example, and lots of trim details and crown molding. I don't want it to be overdone but I want fancy/formal yet cozy.

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Beagles- This is just my opinion, so for what it's worth... :)

I really like your kitchen design! I always have (I choose option 5, by the way) so why are you second guessing yourself? As you said, you don't cook (although I think your kitchen is quite functional, as well as beautiful...if you ever decide to start) so have some fun!

Play up the drama...it's an entertainment space, at least that's how it seems to me, so be bold! When people are in your home, they will want to experience french manor living. Not country, not contemporary, not simple...but french manor! So go for all the details and glitz/glam that you want (and that DF will agree to) and enjoy your beautiful space! :)

• allison0704
    13 years ago

The end cabinets on that china cabinet wall, the two at the end, are already stepped back. If I do that, I'd have to make the lower cabinets not glass right? Just solid. I couldn't have glass, counter, glass I don't think right?

Sorry, forgot that detail. I see Roc's point, but to me, you can take whatever out of china cabinet wall and turn around to place on the island. So not having a landing is not a deal breaker for me. (We store our every day dishes in cabinet to right of fridge, so when removing from DD, I stack on island, then carry to it.) I do love the look of your inspiration picture (black cabinets with glass on other thread).

Would you do plain end panels w/ just stray drawers in the middle of them?

I think that would be fine and like it better than all the faux drawers.

Gotcha on the garbage pull-out. Makes more sense now.

I think I will lower the mural.

It's only on the computer. You'll be able to see it in person before they install. ;)

instead of like an armoire.

Link below shows a TON of single door French armoires! (I love those!)

Aw, thanks! That's sweet of you to say. I am a tad ;) decorating obsessed and was very TKO about getting the look I wanted for my English kitchen, so I completely understand yours!

48" drawers would not be a problem as long as the drawer glides are good quality! The wood/copper sliding panels above the FP that hide DH big TV are on drawer glides - smooth, quiet, etc.

Here is a link that might be useful: single door French armoires

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks lavender_lass :) I'm not changing too much of the design just trying to get the door details worked out. Those were something I didn't give quite as much thought to the specifics of before, I was more focused on the bigger design issues (still haven't found a light, BTW). When the cabinet door came from the cabinet person, it spurred my frenzy of door dilemmas :)

Thanks Allison for the french door armoire pictures. I really want to have these end pieces look like old french armoires and there's some pretty ones there. I love this one for example:
    {{gwi:1690348}}

which leads me back to thinking I need some kind of arches or design on the front of the fridge. I guess maybe I'll see exactly what kind of details my cabinet maker could do and then see if I can find something that is simpler but that still keeps the armoire furniture medallion feel. And I'll have to look for some pictures of island end panels with drawers in the middle of them.

And I will definitely ask about the 48 inch drawers. I had only changed those, looking back now, b/c our first kitchen person from the "big box" store changed them on HIS drawings (I think I was a little too custom w/ what I wanted for even the semi-custom candelight cabs)

• allison0704
    13 years ago

Pretty!

Chest of drawers are often 48" wide. Maybe that will help you visualize.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That does help. I have a really hard time w/ visualizing dimensions and sizes. I'm a lot better now than I used to be when we started doing this design, but I still need to pause and think before trying to picture how large something will be. (Which explains why in a 6 ft. wide walk in pantry, I tried to put a wall of 30 inch counters and another of 24 inch counters... wouldn't leave a whole lot of space to actually use them!

Maybe I'll show my cabinet maker the picture of that exact armoire and see if we can come up w/ a way to replicate the feel even w/ having the drawers on the bottom :)

Thanks so much for pointing me to those pictures : )

• Tom
    13 years ago

beaglesdoitbetter

Are you still happy with Dutch Wood?

Thanks

Tom

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Very much so- I don't know if I posted this or not, but we've committed to him to do the entire house full of cabinets, which is a LOT of cabinets. In fact, I am even happier now because:

1. He made us a sample mock up cabinet door and mailed it to me (very well packaged) so we could see exactly what our style was going to be like. Not only was this incredibly nice of him to make us a whole door as a sample, but the quality and construction on it is also fantastic and it is a very detailed cabinet (double ogee edges inside and out). I'm not 100 percent sure I am keeping that exact style, but that's a style-choice issue w/ my design choices, he had designed it exactly the way I asked. (I also liked the way the package itself was so well packaged... I know it seems silly but attention to detail in all areas is a good sign to me)

2. He met w/ our builder and the two of them are trying to work out some details for a very complicated fireplace design I've made and there were places where he suggested non-cabinet alternatives b/c he thought they'd look better to achieve the look I wanted, which I like both b/c he's brainstorming ideas to help me and b/c he wasn't just trying to sell me cabinets.

3. He also went out and measured, which was very timely (no waiting 4 months like w/ my previous kitchen person- and our house is far from him) AND because he knew I was very concerned about making my appliances fully integrated, he went to the appliance store where we bought our appliances, talked to the appliance person, looked at my fridges to make sure he could do what I wanted, made a plan to make all base cabinets one inch wider, took pictures of the fridge for me and helped me come up w/ a solution to hide the toe kick on the fridge and freezer drawers since the vent can't be covered.

3. We are having him do our pantries and closets in "econoline grade" and I asked him what the difference was and he said that the difference is the econoline grade is 1/2 inch plywood instead of 3/4 (no melamine.) I really really liked that b/c I know the kraftmaid regular cabinets are 1/2 inch plywood, so that made me very happy that their "discount" line is of the quality that some regular lines are, and that they don't use any melamine/particle board.

Sorry, probably a longer answer than you were hoping for. After dealing w/ the first kitchen people we were dealing with, I am just so pleased w/ him that I can't give short ones :)

Did you get your quote from them or from blue mountain? I was wondering what happened w/ that?

• Tom
    13 years ago

Thanks for the great review, just what I wanted to hear! Blue Mtn has not submitted a quote, despite my calls and e-mails with promises to produce a quote. It has been 2 weeks since we were to Blue Mtn. Communications has been shall we say weak??

At this point I think we are going with Dutch Wood. The other quote we got from another local custom cabinet compnay was about $8K higher then Dutch Wood. If we go with maple it is $19K and cherry about $1500 more. I may have to investigate the econoline grade with them to see how much less that will be. Glenn @ DutchWood has been great to work with, very professional, when he said he would have something to us he did!

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I am so glad to hear it :) I know people here had good experiences w/ Blue Mountain but I would shy away from anyone who doesn't do exactly as promised in the initial "woo-ing" phase."

This is the specific details on econoline from Jason's email I got back from him: "The econoline grade is using a thinner plywood Like 1/2'' versu 3/4'' & a cheaper drawer guide ... and on the exposed ends of the cabinets we would do a applied plywood versus having the actual side of the cabinet be the finished end , the workmanship & the Quality of the other cabinetry will exceed the econoline grade , there is no flakeboard in this Econoline grade , it'a all plywood & it's still a quality cabinet , some people couldn't tell the difference w/o really looking at it . stacey's both closets were the econoline grade but those were not in the bright light."

(stacy was the lady whose house we went to before we committed to dutch wood. her closets were gorgeous. floor to ceiling white cabinets w/ glass fronts.)

Our mud room is in regular grade, and I asked how much it would save me to switch to econoline grade for that room. For 1 36x24 cabinet and one 30x20 custom "box" we are having built to house our dog crates, it would have saved us $400 to go to econoline grade over the standard.

If it helps, 6 feet of floor to ceiling 8 inch tall econoline grade cabinets w/o doors for the one wall of my closet is $1350.0 (225/ft) so you can see how that compares to your quote.

• Tom
    13 years ago

Very helpful thanks so much for sharing your experience with us. I will be calling Dutch Wood on Saturday to get the project going!

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I am so glad it worked out for you and glad to be recommending them too since they've been so great to us already. Your kitchen may end up done before ours is since we are delayed on the build b/c of all this bad weather and we still have a ways to go.... so I hope you'll post progress pics :)

• allison0704
    13 years ago

Beagles, check out this other kitchen thread and look at the island ends (a few ideas?)

One has end doors on either side of center and notice another one side has a large panel (fixed) next to the end.

Here is a link that might be useful: islands

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Alison! I actually found a picture in the "where do you put your recycling thread from lolauren that I think was really clever...

I love this idea b/c it would make the trash accessible from the sink on the sink wall w/o having to step around the counter... I am going to check w/ our cabinet maker to see if this will work w/ a pull out bin that pulls out towards the front... of course I know it won't be able to pull out in both directions but even so it would be easier I think if there is some way to do it (I'm worried about how the glides would attach of course if that door is operable, but hopefully he can come up w/ something... IF it can work, I'll put a single door cabinet there I guess and then one to match on the other side of the drawers.

• allison0704
    13 years ago

Saw this today and thought of you:

Here is a link that might be useful:

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Allison! That is a really beautiful cabinet. I love all the glass and I love what they did w/ the mirrors too. I actually had thought about putting mirrors on the fridge and appliance armoires, but then I talked myself out if it w/ the thought that they didn't belong in the kitchen... but maybe they do?

• allison0704
    13 years ago

No all over, but those were nice. Makes it more "room" like and more formal.

Looks at 3 and 4 from bottom on this thread:

Here is a link that might be useful: other end ideas

• herbflavor
    13 years ago

Give yourself a landing area in that china cab wall-take the middle glass cab doors-one, 2, or 3...shorten them-leaving a space below with some counter inserted...you might need this.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Allison. The one w/ the flat end and the cab might work. The other one probably won't b/c of the bookshelves on the other side.

Herbflavor- thanks for the suggestion. Would you then keep glass below as well as above? I'm having a hard time picturing how exactly that is going to look and I can't find any pictures that have anything that has glass above and below w/ protruding counter in between... perhaps I am not searching the right thing!

• herbflavor
    13 years ago

Tall units are 2 pieces-take the base and add a drawer-will raise it to counter height or so. Lay in some marble or something you like. Then a break-15 in or more..the upper glass door cab will be shorter then. The top run will be the same all across. Furniture toe kicks helps with the"hutch" look. Have fun with the 3rd drawer you add in-they can be smaller drawers and add a little pendant type knob-very pretty.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I see what you are saying herbflavor. I don't know if I want to break that up though- I really want the wall of glass. It is mostly for display. But I see the practicality of having a landing space too. I'll have to think about it...