SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chris401_gw

Oil-based white paint yellowed in days -- need replacement

chris401
9 years ago

Hi all, many thanks to the community. We are nearing the end of building our new house. The builder used an oil-based paint on all doors, trim, and cabinets (color: BM super white). It yellowed within days in some areas, and dramatically now that it has been a few months. The pocket doors in particular look like they were painted a specific marigold yellow or similar.

We learned from the painting sub and the BM store that both warned our builder about yellowing for oil-based paints, but that he ignored them and went with it anyway. After some back and forth, he has agreed to re-paint.

The plan now: use Stix primer (no sanding apparently needed). Then apply latex or acrylic or something. I'm not sure I understand the difference. BM's Aura has been suggested. So has BM's Hybrid Advance. I have no idea if there are cost issues or not. I just want the best quality product that will keep the Super White color as long as possible. The house design is modern, so crisp white fits better than a cream or antique or buttery white (or, in the case of the dark closets and pocket doors, straight up yellow). Apparently we need to decide very soon (today or tomorrow?).

Many many thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Comments (10)