SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
humnbrd

Cedar home nightmare

humnbrd
11 years ago

Well, I have been stewing for over a month now, so I thought I would throw this out there for all you stain experts. In a nutshell: Our 12-year-old Western Red Cedar home (we live in the Pacific Northwest) had not been restained in about 8 years. The wood was darkened in several areas from weather exposure, but still in very good to excellent condition. Per the manufacturer's directions, we contracted out to have the old stain stripped with a product called "Safe-Strip" by Gemini, and then stained and backbrushed with TWP 116 Rustic semi-transparent stain.

The results were a mixed bag, but the worst part was the lap siding on one side of the house. The boss was off at another jobsite, and he left one worker to do the entire eastern side of the house in one afternoon. The results were horrible...shiny, dark areas from what we believed was overapplication of stain. We had the contractor come out to take a look, and he told us it was as good as it would get because we had let the house go too long between stain jobs.

The folks at TWP told us it did not sound like the siding was the problem, but most certainly an application problem. We were advised that the darkened areas, which are almost black now in some places, would crack off like a crust over the winter. This could be followed by a light pressure wash in spring, versus stripping and restaining the entire thing (I would rather eat worms than go through this he** again.)

What say you? How would you go about fixing this mess? I will post pictures, if at all possible.

Thanks in advance.

Comments (9)