SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
needsometips08

Waiting for the end result with panic and dread

needsometips08
14 years ago

My kitchen is going to start coming together in about 2 weeks and I am almost dreading it.

I don't expect anyone to actually respond to this post, but I need to vent before I explode with panic and anxiety.

I feel like we have picked the riskiest choices known to mankind. My kitchen hasn't even been installed yet and I already feel like I don't want anyone to ever come over to see it.

I am downright terrified beyond belief. I am having visions of sanding down and staining my brand new hickory floor cause what if it turns out zebra even though the very large sample didn't show a hint of zebra. But it is hickory; it could go that direction. What if we didn't buy high enough quality and it looks terrible in 3 years?

I am having other visions of having to sand down my brand new birch island and attempt to paint and glaze it to match my other painted pieces because it's too much zebra hickory mixed with too much unique-style-stained birch that looked really cool in the door sample, but is just way over the top as a whole kitchen - and the island is the one piece of the birch I can change.

I am having yet more visions of having to hire an interior designer to come over and recommend what can be done to make my big mistake of a brand new kitchen look at least OK.

I ADORE the arches that were put in on 2 walls of the dining room, but I wasn't there when they did the 7' arch. I approved the arch for the 6' opening - and LOVE LOVE it, but my brother and DH did the 7' one on the adjacent walland it's not at the same arc. I don't know whether to tear it out and undo several hours of my brothers labor of love and re-do it to lower each side 1" to make a deeper arc that matches the other arch or to just leave it! After all, that's the arch that matches the other arched details in my house. The arch I love is really the misfit. But what if it's sheetrocked in and it's yet ANOTHER thing that's all wrong with my kitchen?

My husband says I am over-reacting. He loves all our choices. So do I....individually. I have no clue how they will all come together and scale out over a whole kitchen. My designer said this is truly going to be a street of dreams kitchen. But really who knows - it's so risky it could all hugely backfire.

I almost wish I'd just picked a travertine floor and backsplash, light colored Ceasarstone, maple cabinetry, and light beige paint. Not much texture or color, but at least then it would be safe, safe, safe. And I wouldn't be almost sick with worry and fear.

I think I am worrying way, way above and beyond what is normal, and I think most people look forward with anticipation not dread. How wonderful it must be to feel confident and comfortable with my choices - so if you feel peace about it, don't take it for granted cause kitchen hell is no fun! I fear this could be the most monetarily expensive mistake of my life, even though it has been wonderful fun and we've thoroughly enjoyed the project.

Comments (23)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County