SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
raspycat

Ace Cabinet paint vs. Aura for Kitchen cabinets

raspycat
14 years ago

I am currently doing my homework in preparation for painting my currently stained and poly-ed oak kitchen cabinets. I have tried three paints on some spare doors left over from construction 19 years ago (yep, I'm a pack rat) and have narrowed the topcoats down to the two listed above (I am using a dark color and don't want to use an oil, so my choices were limited). The two paints seem totally different, so I need some advice.

I cleaned and sanded per Brushwork's instructions. I primed with 123, then sanded again.

The Aura covers the open grain of the oak very nicely, but is a bit of a bear to work with, and sets up quickly. The Ace cabinet paint is quite thin and goes on much easier (at least to this novice) and looks great - nary a brushstroke to be seen. However, it seems to raise the grain of the oak instead of covering it (this is with two coats).

So my questions are:

1. The aura seems so much thicker. Would it be significantly more durable than the Ace cabinet paint? If it is, I'd go with Aura and practice a bit more before I got started.

2. If durability is equal or close, I'd go with the Ace. If I do, is there any way to get rid of the raised grain that is happening? Apply another coat of primer with a sanding in between? A different primer perhaps? I'd be willing to go with an oil based primer if this would help.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Liz

Comments (2)