SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grasswhisperer

Epoxy Garage Floor Paint

grasswhisperer
14 years ago

I am investigating painting our garage floor - and would love some advice from anyone who has experience with this.

To summarize:

Our garage floor is poured concrete - 7 years old. I don't believe it was "sealed" - but I'm told it was polished. It does not have a sheen to it (perhaps it did a bit more when newer) - but I wouldn't describe it as rough, either. In short - if wet - it is trecherous - very slippery. If snow gets on it - worse than ice. Thus our desire to paint (presumably with sand or other material) to improve traction.

I realize I should clean properly and dull the "finish" to ensure better adhering. I have also read about how important to keep hot tires off, etc...

I have seen at Lowes/HD a few options. Basically it would appear I can choose from a 1-part (usually sold in 1 gallon) epoxy or a 2-part (usually 2.5 gallon) epoxy.

I'm going to assume that the 2-part works better - but really - I just don't know. Is it worth it? What exactly is the difference? They say 1-part type can be tinted (not that important to me, but nice). The 2-part can't. Also - not clear weather or not I can add sand to the 2-part kind?

I also noticed that the optional flakes might add some traction - but not sure I want to go that route, asthetically speaking...

Any insight, tips, experience greatly appreciated! This is a relatively big job that would appear to have huge undesirable (not easily reversed) consequences if not done properly...

Many thanks -

Brad in MA

Comments (2)