SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
techprincesse

Paint riddle... How do I fix this?

techprincesse
14 years ago

How do you know your "pro" painter knows LESS then you do about painting?

1. They tell you you do not need to prime when changing paint color.

2. They tell you primer is more expensive then paint.

3. They call Lowe's/HD paint "quality" paint. And then tell you the Sherwin Williams paint you bought is not good paint.

4. They put joint compound on the wall and paint over it without priming the area first.

5. They ask YOU to buy painter's tape in order for them to do THEIR job.

Okay, that was just a FEW of the massive issues I encountered yesterday when hiring a supposed "professional painter" with 27 years experience. I closed on my first home last week, a forclosure that has some adventurous colors in it. I look up in the online directory for some painters because the ceilings are pretty high for me (14 feet) and I do not want to rent a scaffolding. On top of that I relocated so I have no family around here to help me do this. So I hired people who basically talked the talk. THe ceiling needed paint as well as the living room AND its ceiling was this wild neon yellow color. The painters told me to buy Duron, but I never heard of Duron so I went to Sherwin Williams (across the street from Duron) and bought 4 gallons of ivory colored paint and I got 4 cans of Zinsser Latex primer from Home Depot.

I hired two painters for the day for a flat rate. As it was only a living room and small dining room attached they assured me over the hone that they would be able to do the living/dining room AND have time to spare to do the 2 bedrooms upstairs. NOT. Please beleive me when I said I tolld them the measurements ahead of time (which is 17 x12 for the living room and 10x10 for the dining room, both share the same ceiling). The day they got here (yesterday) and started edging the paint in the actual wall color I asked them why they werent using the primer, and this guy tells me in this LONG drawn out answer that since the existing paint is light yellow and my new color is light tan, I won't need primer at all. He proceeds to say that since primer is more expensive then paint after they are done I can return all of the primer and "save some money." Right there I thought, Holy cow, am I screwed. Anyway, I took the day off and stayed in the house the whole day only going out for about a half hour each time and they barely even took a lunch break which I had to tell them to go get food. few times I asked why the paint wasnt going up on the wall smoothly, it was very splotchy looking, they guys told me I got crappy paint! I spent $400 on that Sherwin Williams paint so since I didnt want to rebuy the whole thing, I just let them continue. My kid and me are set to move in this weekend and I only had the one day off, so I was stuck.

By 6pm the main huge 14 by 12 wall that you see when you come in the house had multiple patches in it. It had a shelf on it which they took down and ASSURED me they would patch and paint. So they painted AROUND the joint compound on the wall since they said it was not dry and it couldnt be painted. Well they left it that way. I had to make a stink and demand they paint it cause I didnt want to 8 foot long patch of neon yellow paint in the middle of the main focus wall. So they grudgingly painted it and left. Well that one coat of paint on that huge wall since it wasnt primed has splotchy neon yellow peeking thru. And the joint compound is SO visible I think a one eyed pup would notice it.

They guy offered to come back today for 2 hours (for $60 for ONE hour no less) and do the second coat over the whole wall. But I am VERY reluctant because since the joint compund is so prominent, the shelf that was there went from one corner to the next and the previous owner used huge screws and anchors, so the patch is about 8-9 feet long and about 3 inches tall as some of the drywall came off when it was removed since it was painted over as well. They had so much attitude and at times got so snippy with me I just shut up so they could hurry up and finish as I didnt want them to walk off and leave.

So my question in this whole story is, should I just let him do the 2nd coat? OR do I pay someone else to actually PRIME the entire wall and start over the right way for that wall to come out smooth? I have one whole can of the matching paint left. I dont want that huge patch to show up. I can try to prime and paint it myself after work today and tomorrow but I dont have a ladder or the paint brushes/rollers so it would probably cost me $60 to do it myself anyway? Can I just prime over the joint compound and then do a 2nd coat??? I am so confused and hurt that this didnt get done and they have my money! *SIGH*

Sorry to be so long winded I wanted togive as much info as possible so you guys knew the condition of how the wall got here. Please help, I've been had and I know it, but I need this fixed before our furniture gets moved in this weekend. Thanks much in advance.

Comments (5)