SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
palimpsest

Maybe Not Designing to Sell.

palimpsest
15 years ago

There is a lot of television based upon the assumption that homes must be 'freshened up" and depersonalized, because buyers aren't intelligent enough to look past your own taste.

Taking down some really outdated drapes or wallpaper I am all for, but a lot of these shows do superfast kitchen facelifts etc, and I want to offer some food for thought.

There are a group of houses nearby that I look at every time one comes on the market (There are perhaps thirty c.1964 traditional row houses).

The baths are colored tile: french blue, yellow, peach, with accents in pink, mint, cream, etc, including baths sinks and toilets...dated, right?

I have got to say after looking at perhaps 7 of these houses over the years, (one of them three times!) that the updated or newly renovated baths were without exception, a major step down in both quality of materials and workmanship compared to the originals.

Of the houses with the original tile, one or two managed to find some nice wallpaper that made the whole thing look intentional, or some kind of minor update that made you not see the tile in such a negative way.

If you are going to do a facelift with cheap materials, think twice, despite the current prevailing thoughts.

An extreme example of this is a story I heard from a realtor. Her clients, a year before they moved, decided to do a complete kitchen remodel of their original kitchen (knowing they were moving). They did an expensive remodel (40K thereabouts,expensive neighborhood) complete with Rutt Custom Cabinetry. They were able to use it for a few months before they put the house on the market.

The the new owners told the realtor after the closing the first thing they were going to do was tear out that "Horrendous Kitchen"!

**I have no idea what the kitchen looked like, it may have been beautiful, but it was obviously not the new owners' taste**

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer