SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
faron79

FPE users...'Fun-C'...and others...

Faron79
14 years ago

Hey Gang!

Thinkin' about bringin'-in some FPE product.

Wouldn't be tinting anything, so it would be "whites & Primers" only...

* Is that a wacky idea?!?

* No tinting...cuz the system is pretty expensive. Two separate colorant groups, etc.

I've never used their paints, but comments seems favorable.

For those of you who've used it, or have it in your homes...Whad'ya think of it!?

(Fun-C...you can email me separately if you wish!!)

Faron

Comments (17)

• amysrq
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I would think about bringing in the Dutch Door kits, if you feel it would be appropriate for the local architectural style. That way, you'd have a complete line and a way to introduce your customers to the high-end line and get a feel for how it will fly.

If I found a store that just had whites and primers, I would be pretty disappointed...maybe even annoyed. Feels like a tease to me. But, I neeed color!

Why not F&B instead? They have a more limited range of colors which might allow you to stock a somewhat "complete" selection and special order the rest. At the very least, you could carry the sample pots available for every color.

I also think that from a business standpoint, F&B has better editorial coverage and ad space in the shelter mags than FPE does. It is fast becoming a "known" brand in the mainstream. I don't think FPE is as far along yet.

• Faron79
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you Amy!!
    Very interesting points...

Have you seen/used any F&B stuff?

I'm a little embarrassed to admit..."the Shelter Mags"...do ya mean the higher-end Decorating/Home magazines??

>>> Faron sheepishly typing here Faron

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    14 years ago

Yep, the decorating magazines are shelter mags.

Why. What's the point of bringing in an uber brand? FPE or F&B? What do you think it's going to get ya or do that all the brands you currently stock are not? If you know what you want it to do, what void you expect it to fill, then maybe you'd know if just whites or just primers or FPE or F&B is indeed part of the solution.

• amysrq
    14 years ago

Faron, I am assuming you guys are having success with C2, which isn't quite as "upscale" as the F&B/FPE, but a big step up nonetheless. FC's question is a good one...what do you hope to accomplish? If you are looking to bring some prestige to your product line and think that kind of "snob appeal" will drive another layer of business, then I say go for it.

I have worked with the F&B paints and I love them. The palette is limited but the colors are gorgeous and easy to work with as a collection. But, what sets the paint apart is the finish -- the Estate Emulsion is just spectacular.

I've worked with C2 and F&B and feel that they both have their merits/targets. The C2 feels a bit more fashion-forward to me and the F&B much more traditional. I think they could be distinct consumer markets, with overlap of course, but running up two different avenues.

The beauty of F&B is that there is no in-store tinting. Everything is done in the factory. I have not tried to mix lots but I would imagine there is a lot of control/consistency that you don't get tinting at the retail level. Of course, there is less investment in equipment for you.

As for the shelter mags, yes that means decorating magazines! :-) What I see is not only that F&B is taking out ad space in national magazines, but they seem to be getting more and more editorial time such as regular mention in House Beautiful's monthly paint color column. I am seeing far more decorating articles in the magazines where F&B colors have been used in the homes and the colors are mentioned by name. Heck, I've even seen museum exhibits where the backdrop colors were provided by F&B. So, I think they're making a big push in the last year or two. Of course, their prices have also gone up since I started using the paint. And so it goes...

• paintguy22
    14 years ago

I live in a suburb of Chicago and the closest place for me to go to get FPE is like 25 miles away. I would love to get it from my local Ace. I would also love for my local Ace to carry Aura though.

• Faron79
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Good stuff/challenges here guys!

To me, it's more of the "Bold-stroke" thinking...trying something no one's thought of doing yet.

Other comparative reason's...
    * There's BBQ grills here well into the 4-$$digits.
    * Snowblowers in the $1,500+ area.
    * Some riding tractors w/mowers nearing $5G's.
    * Leather furniture/accessories/paintings...well...you get the idea$$$!
    * A 5-Gal bucket of Sikkens Log & Siding is now nearing $400 here...Gallons are $80+ (hefty cost increases from Sikkens last winter). People rarely bat an eye though...they know how good it is.
    * Soooo, in a way... to have an "Ultimate Paint" choice just seems like a natural progression. Against these kinds of items, a $100 paint can seems like peanuts...?!??!?

(In the families Sports stores...there's racing (PEDAL)bikes in the UPPER FOUR-digits...)

I hate to admit it, but the "snob-factor" drives many kinds of stores' choices, IMO....and into our store(s) as well. Many clientele come in here 'cuz they know we're not scared of trying/stocking something $pendy.
    >>> There's some very expensive homes in the area too!

Surprisingly, it NOT NEARLY as expensive getting into FPE's setup as C2's was...just the 2 huge chip-racks for C2 cost 3x what my Jimmys' worth now.......

PLEASE keep any feedback coming!!

Faron

• pirula
    14 years ago

I've used all 3: C2, F&B, and FPE. The C2, while great paint, can't hold a candle to either really. So we're talking a different league here altogether Faron.

I have one store that carries the F&B, but only a limited number of colors/cans. So in the end, I end up ordering from them and waiting (PITA) or I just order it from Cox Paints in the first place and save myself the admittedly short trip to the paint store. Something to consider with F&B as they add more finishes (Modern emulsion is relatively new in the last three years) and colors. You'll need a lot of storage/inventory and all the problems that entails, in order to have a ready product. You could just carry the more "common/popular" colors I suppose..

The FPE machine is expensive. The store that sells it here explained it to me once, oh so many years ago. FPE is terrific paint, but after discovering F&B, I've only used FPE for specific applications. Their ECO for use on outside windows, exterior doors, and the kitchen cabinets. So really specialized stuff. I never found a color (and FPE has a gazillion) I liked as much as an F&B color that warranted use/price of their regular wall paint.

So um, there it is. No help whatsoever. Just my thoughts!

• Faron79
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Pirula (and others!!)...
    Thank you so much. I value your inputs.

I've been studying a bunch of info. they've sent me....
    * Dealer set-up, fees, etc.
    * 2 separate MANUAL tinters...MUCH cheaper than I thought!
    (anything seems cheap after these 2 COROBS we have though...)
    * Products cost-structure, typical display methods/fixtures, etc.
    * They also sent some product-hide draw-downs on black/white striped sample cards. This was especially dramatic!!!
    * I COULD NOT see through a sample of their White Eurolux Interior Matte. I honestly was quite stunned. It's such a cool finish!

I can't wait...
    Mr. Lahey is sending us some samples to try!
    Among them is a Eurogallon of Eurolux acrylic "Wine Red" matte heading my way!!

One other reason I'm kinda taken with FPE is their connection to the Pantone color-standards organization.
    FPE is the only paint-line that can legally (and actually hit) duplicate Pantone's colors from the manymanymany decks they have.
    We sometimes get calls asking if we can tint Pantone's colors...hmmmm
    (I've also received comments that we're the only store that's ever HEARD of Pantone....)

Faron

• curlz
    14 years ago

FPE is the BEST paint I've used on woodwork. I was first introduced to it when I lived in Europe and my love affair with it hasn't diminished over time. I'm very particular and take my time when painting, especially doors and trim work. So I'm more than willing to pay extra for high quality paint that gives me results that are in line with the time and effort I put into painting. But as picky as I am, there are plenty of other things I'd rather be doing than painting. (smile)

I've used the components in the FPE Dutch Door Kit (Hollandlac in Dutch Chocolate). And though I love the high gloss finish, it's not a look that's meshes well with the architecture of my current home in southern California. So when I painted the front door on this house, I first put on a coat of the Swedish Putty (the door is exposed all afternoon to directly sunlight plus heat from brick steps reflects back onto the door all of which caused cracks on the lower portion of the door). Then I put on a coat of primer and then two coats of the Brilliant (sanding after each coat). Then I put on two coats of the Satin (sanding between coats). It's been four years since I painted the door. To maintain it, I put a coat of wax on it each fall. The sun hasn't faded the color yet nor has the paint oxidized at all (unlike the original paint applied by the builder).

It's not uncommon for real estate agents who are selling houses in the neighborhood to leave notes on my door asking me what kind of paint was used on my door and who painted it. So I'm guessing that others like the curb appeal of my standard tract home quality front door, too.

I've also used Eurolux Interior Gloss (White from the Classic European Color Group) on all the trim work in the house as well as on some cabinets and bookcases I've built to look like "built-ins". Not a single brush mark in site on hundreds and hundreds of linear feet of trim and shelving. I brush on one coat of primer and then depending on where the trim is located, I put on either one coat of Gloss followed by one coat of Satin or two coats of the Gloss. (I lightly sand between each coat of paint.) The painting goes faster than it sounds like it would -- because I don't have to be overly careful about ensuring I end up with no brush marks. The brush marks seem to almost automatically level themselves out of existence.

The Eurolux paint cures to a rock-hard finish. Best of all ... no wear marks yet even after 5 years on the stair railing. Despite three teenage boys who can't seem use the stairs without dragging their hands along the entire length of the railing in an effort to help propel 185+ pounds of body weight up or down the stairs. (smile) A quick swipe with a damp paper towel once a week removes the residual grime.

PS: I believe the paint store in my area originally carried only the Classic European Colors. And they heavily promoted the Dutch Door Kit. As contractors and homeowners became accustomed to seeing it, they've since expanded into the additional colorant groups.

• Faron79
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Curlz,
    I'm now a convert too!

I mentioned on the other thread here that I'm prepping some pieces with my newly arrived samples.
    One sample is the Hollandlac-Brilliant in a dark Green.

O...M....G....it looks like GLASS after 1 coat. Lordy...Lordy....

Faron

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    14 years ago

Pantone, huh. :~D

If you figure out how, what, why Pantone colors are relevant to coloring human environments, you'll hafta clue me in. I've always wondered how well the Pantone colors sell for FPE and who uses them and how they use them -- which ones are the more popular sellers.

"Pantone" is indeed quite the color buzzword. Probably smart that someone has taken the brand name and color ordering system and crossed it over into paint world. Just not sure that it means as much to someone who designs with color 3D as it does to those in graphics and printing. Also, I think there could be discussion about what exactly makes colors viable, livable, useable wall colors.

• amysrq
    14 years ago

Funcolors, I am glad you said that....about Pantone. I didn't really get the feeling that those colors make sense for walls, but I figured I must be missing something. Now, I'll stand by my hunch with more confidence. :-)

• Faron79
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the "Devils-Advocate-ism" guys!

Pantone/FPE has a LOT of fandecks, I'm finding out.
    Including a very nice Historical Mt. Vernon deck.
    Apparently FPE has partnered with the Ladies Association there to develope accurate colors from the Estate interiors, etc.
    I have a fondness for the place ever since I visited there in 1978 (in HS!).

Separately...
    I was looking in awe at my 2nd coat (halfway cured) of Hollandlac "Coach Green" Brilliant.
    * Dear G*D...I can see my reflection in it!!!
    * It's LITERALLY like looking into a dark green mirror...
    * I've never seen anything like this.

Faron

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    14 years ago

Yeah, they do have multiple palettes. It's a shoot then aim mentality of color IMO.

• mindstorm
    14 years ago

Faron,
    Now you're talking my language. I have painted my front doors Hollandlac Brilliant (high gloss) in Coach Green. I think it is stunning stuff!

• Faron79
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Mindstorm,
    Yea...Coach Green Brilliant is what I've been brushing-out too!
    (it's one of the samples they sent me...)

I'm quite taken by this FPE-stuff!!
    The opacity and gloss of these paints is, as you say...Stunning.
    (...and I thought I was kinda spoiled by C2!)

I'm very fortunate, I think...I MAY be the only guy (west of MPLS.) in quite a radius around ND, to have used this stuff. There is a retailer in Excelsior, MN, a western suburb of Minneapolis.

Faron

• mindstorm
    14 years ago

and aside from the finish, isn't just using the blasted thing amazingly fun?! It felt like stretching rubber over the door when I was painting it. I was an instant convert to the wonders that is FPE Hollandlac brilliant.

That said, I believe the US is going to disallow the import of oil-based paints starting 2010. So, you may have to think about how good an investment for you their products beyond Hollandlac would be, if they have the same draw/cache/snob-value etc. , if you are going to start getting into a relationship with them just as one of their most stunning products start to become disallowed.

Amy makes a very good point about perhaps thinking about F&B instead - also a premium product and truly outstanding paint. Of course I know nothing about the expense associated with investing in these brands BUT since F&B sells their paints premixed at the factory, you won't have to invest in a lot of paraphernalia as you won't be "mixing" their paints - just retailing it. If you try this paint take note of the smell; or rather, the lack of it! ;-) Their signature estate emulsion is amazing and the complete and total utter converse of FPE Hollandlac Brilliant - it is *matte*. Paint a wall in it (I have several) and you feel like you have walls carved from limestone. ;-)