SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dilettante_gw

Best metallic paints & colors for lamps?

dilettante_gw
13 years ago

I have two metal floor lamps that I'm planning to re-paint with a metallic finish. Both are made of steel and have a small amount of rust. The lamps aren't valuable, but they have nice shapes. One is a vintage lamp, probably from the '40's, that has a fluted column and an ornate base and the other is more modern.

I'd like to paint the older one a mid-tone bronze (not ORB) and the modern one a satin nickel. I was thinking of using a spray paint but I don't mind using a brush-on. What's the best brand? The stores around here carry Krylon and Rust-oleum. Both companies have several lines of metallic paints, which I find very confusing. I called Rustoleum and the person I spoke to wasn't at all helpful in sorting them out.

I'd also like color recommendations. The color choices are completely different in the various lines. Neither the Krylon nor the Rust-oleum site has real-life photos of their metallic paints, and somehow I don't trust the accuracy of the colors on the plastic caps on the paint cans. For the vintage lamp, I was thinking of using one of the following:

* Rust-oleum American Accents "Classic Bronze"

* Rust-oleum Metallic "Burnished Brass"

* Krylon Premium "Gilded Brass"

and for the modern lamp:

* Rustoleum American Accents Designer Metallic "Satin Nickel"

* Rustoleum Stops Rust Metallic "Matte Nickel"

* Krylon Premium Metallic "Sterling Silver"

* Krylon Brushed Metallic "Satin Nickel"

Has anyone here used any of these colors? How did they turn out?

Also, what about primers? I'm not really changing the orginal colors of the lamps, but they both have a little rust, which I can remove.

Thanks!

Comment