SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lindseylulu_gw

Need help choosing shade of green for exterior

lindseylulu
14 years ago

I've been searching since March, for juuust the right shade of green for the exterior of my home. I've brought home over 10 samples that I've adored in the store, but as soon as I get them outside (and on the house) they morph. My husband says I've been blessed with an eye for color....I think I've been cursed with it. I am able to see tiny nuances of blue, or gray, or yellow, in every single paint sample we'be put on the house. So much so, that I've discounted ALL of them. We have one month left to paint our home before our son's outdoor birthday party, and I've been given a deadline of this Sunday to finalize my color selection. I need help desperately!

The home is 1/2 brick and 1/2 shingles (currently painted white). I have a Classic Burgundy front door and crisp white trim. My goal is to find a slightly beige, slightly gray, medium toned green that will blend just perfectly with the brick and allow the white and red to pop.

Here's a list of the colors I've tried thus far, and the reasons I've counted them out (HELP!!):

Ben Moore:

Dry Sage - great shade, too dark

Tree Moss - thought this was the one! Turned completely gray outside/on the house.

Mesquite - too pastel

Nantucket Gray - closer to the tone/intensity I'm looking for, way too beige in the natural outdoor light

Soft Fern - way too light outside

Rosemary Sprig (next one down from Soft Fern) - way too dark

Sherwin Williams:

Svelte Sage - great tone, but I see a hint of blue

Prairie Grass - looks like bile on my house, blech

Grassland - I've seen photos on this site of gorgeous rooms in Grassland, but haven't tried it on the exterior...anyone?

I'm considering trying California's Fenland, but at this point, I'm also considering refreshing the house's boring white paint just to call it a day. All advice welcomed...any photos of green EXTERIORS (these paints look so different inside) encouraged!

Comments (2)