SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
diymadness

backsplash ideas for my oak kitchen?

diymadness
16 years ago

Hello,

I am nearing completion of my major diy kitchen redo (whew -- it was a lot of work). You can see it in the photo below (please excuse the clutter and unfinished details). The floor is not visible but it will be golden slate. But I am having trouble deciding on a backsplash. I think the problem is that I have lost touch with what style I am going for. My house is old, but has had all its period details stripped away by earlier renos. So I decided to go for a craftsman look, since that is very common in my neighbourhood and suits the age of the house. So -- I was originally planning on white or cream subway tiles for the backsplash. But now I wonder if that will look a bit plain and stark (with so many nice earth tones in the room). Also -- I think that the room looks more contemporary than I expected. So I've been thinking about something more edgy -- such as olive green glass mosaic tiles. I've also thought of going with something more artsy -- such as handmade ceramic tiles with a few art tiles as accents (maybe tiles with wheat sheafs since we live in a farming area and my dh is a wheat farmer). I really appreciate unique and artisic spaces, but I worry a bit about resale, since I will probably only be in this house for five more years.

Overall, I've been working on this kitchen for so long that I've really lost perspective. I can't see what it really looks like anymore. So I would love your imput.

Thanks!

>

>

Comments (17)