SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lmhartman

How much damage to cabinets when removing glued down counter?

lmhartman
15 years ago

Ok, I know this is all relative, but I'd love a little insight into this. I tried doing a search here and couldn't find any info.

We purchased new construction last summer. One of the items we wrote as part of out contract was for the builder to replace the granite tile counters (I'm not a fan of tiled counters). They refused.

Fast forward to now. We're now at the point where we'd like to have this work done. However, the plywood that the tile is laid on is glued not screwed to the cabinets. After talking with some granite fabricators and installers, they have let us know that the cabinets more than likely will be damaged when removing the existing countertops.

Having never had this sort of work done before, can anyone give me an idea of how much damage to expect? And how difficult is it to have the damage repaired? We are not DIYers for this sort of project, so would hire the work out.

I don't want to get into this if the cabinets are going to look horrible and are terribly difficult for a professional to repair when all is said and done.

Comments (2)