SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
izzie_gw

Exterior painting/prep work

izzie
14 years ago

Last time I painted I used Sherwin W. satin. I am going w/satin again, just like the way the rain beads up. Don't care for the gloss so much but oh well I'm not too picky anymore I have hardboard siding (Hate it) But anyway, house really needs painting. I think I will go with the Duration paint over the Super Paint they carry because he said it was self primer paint, is it really better that just plain old paint. I want to wash house before painting. There is some bird doo, a few dirty areas. Last time I just hosed off house about 5 days b4 painting. I purchased some simple green/tsp replacement siding wash. I just noticed its ready to use and it came in a 128 oz bottle...I thought I could dilute this and put in hose end sprayer, maybe scrub a few spots, then rinse w/ water. I really don't think scrubing whole house by hand is the thing to do. I don't want to use power sprayer, but maybe I just want to have a clean surface for paint to adhere to. Any suggestions, I really don't want to turn this into rocket science and didn't have any issues w/ paint last time I painted.

Should I use this simple green stuff?

Any pointers..how many days should house be dry for?

My husband and I will probably have to break this task down in 3-5 day pieces. I really hate ladders!

Comments (5)