SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
canishel

How to paint ceiling after popcorn removal? (Very long)

canishel
15 years ago

IÂm removing the popcorn from the ceilings. The ceilings look good for about a month or more, then the paint looks uneven (you can see roller marks) and the repaired sections are visible. But the ceiling feels smooth, other than the paint roughness. How can I fix this mess?

I have more ceilings to do, so what am I doing wrong?

This is my method:

1.Spray ceiling sections with water using a garden sprayer.

2.Scrape with putty knife

3.Repeat until most of the popcorn is removed

4.Wipe with damp cloth to get rid of/smooth the stuff that didnÂt scrape off.

5.Allow to dry (at least 2 days)

Note: the ceiling never gets soggy, nor do I have any gouges. This scraping is done over several days, based on time and energy available

6.Apply drywall compound over joints, fastener spots, and any other places that look uneven. Dry for at least 24 hours.

7.Dry sand the entire ceiling. The drywall that didnÂt get a skim coat gets a "wipe" with the dry sanding block (the spongy kind). IÂve tried skim coating the entire ceiling, but all that extra work doesnÂt seem to make a difference, other than more dust and sore arms. Again, this is done over several days.

8.Repeat drywall compound and sanding.

9.Wait a few days and prime the entire ceiling with 3/8" nap roller ((Moorcraft SuperSpec alkyd). I do this to get a better feel for any bumps or places where I canÂt tell whether the texture difference is due to drywall vs. drywall compound, or not enough drywall repairs. Priming is done as fast as I can, to keep a wet edge. I donÂt know how to use a paint sprayer without making a mess.

10.Wait a few days and fix any sections with more drywall compound

11.Wait a few days and prime again (regardless of whether I needed to apply any more drywall compound). I do this because the primer is so thin, but cheaper than paint.

12.Wait a few days and paint with MooreÂs Muresco Ceiling White vinyl Acrylic latex flat paint (3/8" roller). Since the paint dries so fast, I try to paint on a humid or rainy day, to keep a wet edge. IÂve also added Floetrol, which helps a little.

13.Wait a few days and apply second coat of paint.

In summary, it takes me at least a month to do one ceiling,mainly because it wears me out. It looks very good, until, I guess, the paint cures. This is so demoralizing.

Thanks for any help.

Comments (10)