SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gwer2007

Michael, Faron, Dave, everybody - URGENT

eleena
16 years ago

Guys,

I need your input before Monday afternoon - PLEASE!

After a long-drawn "saga", I am finally getting my (tint base) Cabinet Coat from ACE Hardware. I need it tinted in one of BM off-white colors. The ACE guy told me to bring the chip and said he would not guarantee whether they can tint it or not until he sees the color - even though I gave him the color name and number. I do not understand why he cannot look up the formula? I thought all major companies had access to each other's formulas?

My BM dealer would sell me the colorant but wouldn't tint someone else's paint (company policy). As I understand, no paint store would mix a colorant I bring into their paint and guarantee the color UNLESS they know how a particular formula translates into their colorant system. And that is because not all OYs, Greens, Reds, and Blacks 'are created equal' - some may be more intense than others.

I am not sure what to do - let ACE match the color based on the chip or get the colorant and mix it with paint myself?

I personally mistrust color-matching using a paper chip but I hate the second option even more (what if turns out yellowish or something?). Is there another way? I know the ACE store carries ICI paints. Does anyone know how BM OY and Black translate into ICI colorants?

Thank you so much in advance!

Comments (19)

• moonshadow
    16 years ago

I'm not one of the guys, but have lots of experience with CC (have used it everywhere in recent years, rentals, our house, doors, trim, cabinets). It's a fantastic product, but it's my understanding it's one that's not so easy to custom tint. (No black for sure, much to my dismay.) Although CC does have their own color palette, it's a bit limited if you're the color adventurous type, or very particular about undertones. I'm sure the pros here could explain the science behind CC & tinting, I sure can't ;)

• Faron79
    16 years ago

Hello Eleena (if you're still up!?),
    Say...how's that hairstyle change I inquired about...;)

I'll try and keep it simple...
    * A paint store only has access to other lines' formula's IF you buy the "electronic formula books" and/or licensing; depending on who produced their dispensing software.
    * BUT...these are usually just scanned "matches" anyway that a store could buy if they wanted to. Not many do though, since most stores have a scanner set up to tint into their OWN lines.
    * However, as you stated, every colorant line is different.
    * Similarly, even if I had BM's formula-book, it would be mostly meaningless, since ACE's colorants are different. I would have to SCAN the sample anyway to get the ACE translation of "color X".

Soooo...Because CC is carried by so many types of dealers (meaning many different colorant sources), they (CC) can't have THEIR OWN formulas.
    * Example: This late winter, I made Ralph-Lauren's "Cottonwood" #TH29, into the CC Tint-base. I just shot the RL formula, starting with the QT amount (you can always ADD to a formula, but can't take it out!).
    * Another "issue" behind-the-scenes...every different brand has a different level of White in the light tint-bases. Therefore, you're always "fighting" an uncertain am't. of it!

>>> What to do???...No perfect answer...
    Have-'em scan (or find a similiar ACE color) your BM chip.
    * It'll be a starting point for the colorants they CAN use.
    * Start with a QT.-dispense (OF THE GALLON FORMULA) into a gallon, and see how it turns out...repeat another QT.-dispense...check again.
    * ALSO...Not every store has a tinter that can accuately tint 1/4-shots. This MAY be an issue with your color. Ask the staff first.

>>> Bottom-line, you may have to settle for "real close"!

Regards,
    Faron

• eleena
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you guys!

Moonshadow, what do you mean by you are "not one of the guys"?! I said "everybody"! I only listed the names I could remember as I got off the phone with the store and typed the message in a hurry.

Faron, my hairstyle is only getting shorter - it's summer time, you know! And I am fixing to go on a long trip - there goes the long hair... Maybe, after I get back... LOL.

BTW, I am very close to finding my perfect silvery gray. More details when I actually have it in my hands (keeping fingers crossed).

Thanks for such a detailed explanation! I'll settle for "really close" because it is in different rooms.

Talk to you when I get back.

• moonshadow
    16 years ago

It was pure teasing, hope it didn't come across anything other than that ;D

Will you keep us posted as to how well you do with tinting? (The CC, and the hair LOL) My newest local Ace (a chain owned by the same family) is reluctant to experiment much outside the box. I have had other indy dealers tell me they'd custom tint, but the price they charge for CC is insane (special order, not stocked on shelves like Ace does). So if something went south with the color not only would I be stuck, I'd be out a huge chunk of change. Faron needs to move east a few states. My Ace guys don't wear ties to work ;D

• Faron79
    16 years ago

Hey Moon...
    I'm flattered you remembered my "tied" situation...;) !!
    Pretty funny comment about Eleena's "tinting" issues (hee-hee!)!
    >>> What kind of prices for CC are you guys finding out there??
    >>> Dear Eleena...ah well...is my only hope of a longer/wavy hairstyle for you on hold 'till September?!?!?! >>> insert devilish wink here...! >>> Well something straight like the woman in the sidebar-ads here for that "Burn Notice" USA-movie would be acceptable too...dear Lord...!!
    (I'm not sure if I'd remember how to run the C2 tinter if she walked in...;) lordy...lordy)

Faron

• Michael
    16 years ago

The guys didn't even need to get involved here. Moon handles it well enough without us. *S*

Michael

• moonshadow
    16 years ago

Michael: you make me ~blush~ ;D
    You guys are a hoot ;)
    Faron, I was getting CC for $32/gal from Ace. $36 - $38 for special order from indy dealers. I was in Ace the other day because I need a new gallon for some rental spruce up. They have increased it to a whopping $39.95/gal. ~ouch~ !

• eleena
    Original Author
    16 years ago

They charged me $38/gallon and did not guarantee the color. I don't have it yet - checked Monday afternoon and was told they'd call me when they get trough opening all the stuff. Still waiting... It was already paid for. Now I am wishing I had paid my painter for priming the wood surfaces and gone with BM Waterborne acrylic instead.

It is all your fault, guys!

You have talked me into using something nobody carries around here. No store even knew what I was talking about. They all had to check either with Insl-x or their main warehouse.

With things going so badly, now I would HAVE to skip a few haircuts to make up for the price of that paint. And here comes the long hairstyle (don't know about wavy though - I will be too broke to pay for curling it...)

I guess I am not taking advice from you anymore! Especially, that you all are having fun at my expense. LOL

• Faron79
    16 years ago

Michael...you're right...with Moon here, we may as well just read posts all night!!! ;-)

Dearest Eleena...Sorry about your $price increa$e$...ours have been going up some too. We've got the CC @ $38.99/gal.

>>> Paint thinner has been getting ridiculous!! Two years ago, a gal. of ACE paint thinner was $1.49. Now it's $5.99!! And that's in the PLASTIC gallon!!
    >>> At least my evil master plan is working (evil twisting of moustache...and beady eyes shifting back & forth...)!!!
    With Eleena paying higher prices for paint, she'll HAVE to cut back on frilly things like haircuts...as she said...!!
    >>> Summer humidity will take care of the curling too...
    >>> I'll see that long wavy hair on her yet!!!

** blink...blink *** Wow! must've drifted off there!
    Later,
    Faron

• eleena
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Faron,

I was not upset about the price (how much do you think BM ECO SPEC is?) but about the delays and the fact that nobody was promising that the color would turn out OK. That is, if didn't, I'd have to pay another $38.99/gallon for X gallons??? I was not ready for THAT!

I got the paint today but they did not tint it (long story). I was so upset with the whole thing that I went and got my hair cut VERY short. So, now you have to get really helpful if you want to see it "long and wavy". LOL
    For example, you can tell me (so I can "them") the formula for 1/2 of ICI A1997 color (i.e., I am cutting it in half).

** blink...blink ***

Thank you!

• eleena
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Damn typos - I meant "so I can TELL them".

Correction - what would be the formula to make CC to LOOK like 1/2 ICI A1997 (286)? That is a "blinking" question, isn't it? (Picture *me* rapidly blinking because of being completely "lost" about it...)

• Michael
    16 years ago

eleena,

If you are not completely satisfied with the CC, Moonshadow will shave her head.

Michael

• eleena
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Michael,

You are not being helpful - for the first time!

Oh, no, wait - not the first time - you were one of the "guys" who talked me into the CC!

Moon, I did not get the Memo - since when "guys" applies to guys only? I was teasing you too, BTW. LOL

Well, let's both shave our heads to protest the treatment we get from the "guys" on this forum, so they stop "winking and blinking" and go back to being helpful! LOL

• Faron79
    16 years ago

Hi guys....
    I'm laughing so hard here my side hurts!!!
    ....Then I can try to decipher Eleena's ramblings...
    ooops....BOOOM....fell on floor laughing again...!!!
    (I don't THINK I was blinking...)

Moon....bald???...well, more wig options then...

Faron (the "bad" boy ;)

• Faron79
    16 years ago

Eleena,
    Since I have no idea what ICI 9af48q23ht08wy4% looks like, I can't give you any formula...
    (he-hee-HAA-HAAA...!)

What are you cutting in half BTW; the formula or your hair...?

SERIOUSLY, for a change, I could scan that color at work, & see what ACE colorants are involved?! I think we have that fandeck...

Faron

• moonshadow
    16 years ago

If I have to shave my head I guess I could send my locks to eleena and she could have them woven into her hair as extensions. Mine are light golden brown/blonde highlights, does that flow with the tint of your locks eleena? We must have flow with color here, lest you come out looking like a skunk or somethin' if you are say the dark exotic looking type.

All this winkin' and blinkin' is makin' me feel twitchy!

• Faron79
    16 years ago

I should be FIRM here...NO further CC/formula help until that long/wavy hair-thing happens...hmmm?!?!!?
    ;)
    (short hair does nothin' for me...;))

Faron/Dr. Evil

• eleena
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Things have been crazy here, so I could not check "in" for awhile, sorry.

Moon, I'll 'tint' mine to match yours! But I thought we both were shaving?

Faron, I'll be on my way to buy that wig as soon as I get the formula. SOOO, all you guys can do is talk and wink? And when a girl needs a formula, no help?

What do you mean you don't know what that color is? Does not ACE sell ICI paints?

• Faron79
    16 years ago

Eleena...dearest Eleena...,

There's no ACE stores around here that handle ICI. There IS a separate ICI-store in town though. Sells mainly to the "contractor-trade".
    >>> I think there's VERY FEW ACE stores that handle ICI.
    >>> ICI likes to have their own stores for their label.

We DO handle Ralph-Lauren though, which is made by ICI. As you're prob'ly aware, ICI also makes Fuller-O'-Brian, Devoe, Glidden, & a few others.

I forgot to look in our ICI fandeck last Friday. I'll look Monday. I hope it's the right deck!

P.S. How will I know it's YOU when you come in?!? ;)
    Will it be some HOT chick with long wavy hair who winks a lot...hmmm?!?!?!

;) Faron ;)

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012