SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greenandgold_gw

Does this labor estimate seem reasonable?

greenandgold
16 years ago

Hey everyone! Ive been lurking here awhile and I wanted to get your opinion on the labor estimates I have received so far. I have learned so much from reading all of your posts! WeÂve spent about a year researching everything for our kitchen remodel, and needless to say, I am encountering a bit of sticker shock as to how much this really will cost! In my opinion, we are making fairly basic choices (the most outlandish thing we seem to have chosen is the premium price of painted white cabinets.) The most recent estimates that have me re-thinking my expenses are from the two contractors that have come in to review my labor needs. Bear in mind that we live in the San Francisco Bay Area, where everything seems to be more expensive. Having never done a project like this, however, IÂm at a loss as to how much these things really cost.

To give you an idea of what weÂve encountered in our region for other home repairs, the other two major projects we have done are:

Partial foundation repairs (including some seismic work and replacement of garage slab) $32,000.

Full house exterior painting (stucco body and wood trim) $7,500.

Our kitchen is of modest size (145 sq. ft) and thus doesnÂt offer much room to go crazy. However, virtually everything needs to be replaced.

Here are the broken down numbers from the first estimate we received:

Site Work (prepping the area) $350

Demolition (we are removing one small wall approximately 2 feet wide placed in between the existing kitchen and tiny sunroom. We have been told that it is not load-bearing, we also need to raise height of pass thru 4" to accommodate new range height) $1600

Wall to remove:

Pass thru:

Frame: $450

Electrical & Lighting (can lighting plus outlets, etc. right now we have minimal outlets and 2 ceiling lights) $3400

Plumbing (the sink does need to be moved a foot to the right, waterline to fridge, 1st time dishwasher install) $1150

Insulation $120

Sheetrock work $1400

Cabinet Installation (28 feet lowers, 8 feet uppers)$3200

Floor installation (vinyl tile100 sq. ft. ) $950

Painting $850

Finish Carpentry $600

Finish Electric $1400

Finish Plumbing $1500

Finish Work $500

Cleanup $250

GRAND TOTAL: $17,720

All of these figures (except the flooring and cabinetry) include labor and materials. As you can see, the countertop and backsplash tile are not included. This also does not include any permits.

I was quite surprised that the figure was so high, and then the estimate came in from the second contractor at $22,000. Both of these come from contractors that will handle all tasks and manage the project. Perhaps I could save a bit of money by hiring individually and managing the project myself, but the timing of everything makes that a bit daunting to me. Also, there isnÂt really much of this (aside from the painting) that I would feel comfortable doing myself. I am willing to tackle projects, but for my dream kitchen, I feel that would be penny wise, pound foolish.

So my two questions are:

1. Do these numbers seem out of line compared to what you are seeing for your projects?

2. Would any of you recommend that I manage this project myself to save some money?

Thanks in advance! (Sorry for the really lengthy post!)

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH