SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
valinsv

Painted Living Room Wilmington Tan-Ready for Next Step

Valerie Noronha
16 years ago

We painted the living room and entry last weekend in Wilmington Tan and I wanted to share the results (so far) and get some advice on our next steps. At this point, we are leaning towards keeping the accent wall--unless the majority here say to paint it. Once we finalize the rug, we will revisit that decision. Hopefully this week the crown will be installed and the drapes the following week. I tried a few different furniture arrangements and this is what I came up with.

{{gwi:1609210}}

{{gwi:1609211}}

{{gwi:1609212}}

{{gwi:1609213}}

I was concerned how the new color would go with the existing color in the dining room, but I like the combination of colors better than I though I would:

{{gwi:1609215}}

Another option we had considered was the do the sofa opposite the fireplace and the bergere chairs to either side, but we find the view to be obstructed by the sofa. I am open to other suggestions as well as any other pieces of furniture I should get for the room. There are a few other pieces I'm considering for this room. Namely, a coffee table, console table for behind the sofa, and a corner mahogany curio cabinet to balance out the tall plant.

Here is where I'd really like some feedback:

1. rug: are there any rules for size? I was thinking getting it large enough so that it goes under the front legs of the sofa and chairs. Would love some ideas what you think would look good in this room.

2. coffee table: What size and shape would look good? Should I keep to the Duncan Phyfe leg style or do something different? I have two very different visions: one is to do something with metal and glass so the rug shows below and provides a balance to all the wood--at the same time I'm concerned I may look out of place/period. The second one is to get a mahogany lyre style coffee table--like I've been eyeing for the past two months. After months of searching Craigslist, I found the following one on CL:

{{gwi:1609216}}

The price is right and the seller wants to hold on to it until the end of the month--which seems a bit odd, but gives me a bit of a breather to decide. However, I'm not sure that a rectanglar coffee table works. Perhaps it should be square? I've not seen any 1940's style that are sqyare, though.

3. art work: I know I want to put a painting over the mantle; but am also considering something over the piano--esp. if I keep it in the center. Ideas? Another large painting or a mirror? Perhaps two? Is there a rule of thumb regarding artwork where there should be one main one (fireplace which is the focal point) and others are more supporting pieces? What about this mirror? http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/fur/563181457.html or this one: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/fur/562929398.html

4. mirror: Where should I put the mirror I bought a few weeks ago at the estate sale? I have two possible locations: one is in the entry over the game table and the second is in my master bedroom. Earlier Les had suggested an oval mirror for the entry and I had also received feedback to put a mirror over my dressor in order to deemphasize the TV.

entry:

{{gwi:1609217}}

master bedroom location:

{{gwi:1609218}}

Last question is not about my living room, but my master. I had purchased a TV/VCR swivel stand for the TV that is on the dresser. The finish is in cherry, but is lighter than my dresser. I'm thinking of exchanging it for black. the options were really limited and I had to mail order so unfortunately, I need to be pretty sure before I send it back that it will work.

{{gwi:1609219}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Lyre/harp coffee table

Comments (131)

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

ok, I've shifted the chairs a bit as I was trying to describe and pulled the sofa back more towards the window (instead of trying to pull it in to center all the seating around the fp). Hoping the ottoman can still fit, as it looks great.

Anyway, forget about perfect accessories -- I'm just tryin' to get something out there :) I think it looks fabu!

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

btw, this was the 14:02 pic, and both chairs are also moved and still are a bit offset.

• Related Discussions

Next step...

Q

Comments (3)
    I understand the drive for perfection, but I have to say your lawn actually looks very nice, with only normal issues and not many of those. >>He's got one of the nicest organic KBG lawns on the planet and knows what he's talking about. See, I like being complimented. A lot. :) Planet? Probably not. City? Yes. Right now, I'm experiencing Late Summer Blues myself. It's normal. August featured low rainfall and I hate throwing drinking water on a lawn, so I have burned spots, just as you do. The patio furniture is causing a lot of compaction and wear on the grass, so that little area may never look that great. You learn to live with it. Although something like white clover would be an option there, I don't recommend it. Clover attracts bees. Lots of bees, Right at your feet. Not a good idea. :) I'm not a fan of aeration and counsel against it in most cases, but like David, if you're set on doing it and have the cash to burn, I also don't particularly object. There are other methods of doing the same thing better and more permanently. I can't tell how much sun you get as I'm not sure when you took the photo nor how many blocking trees overshadow the lawn. If that shot was at noon, you have too much shade for KBG. My investigative skills (poor) say it was about 3 PM and that your lawn gets good morning and mid-day sun. If that's true, KBG will do fine except under the tree. Getting rid of weeds is a nightmare. I tend to use Tenacity (bottlebrush plant extract) on most of them, although it's not a perfect cure for some things and they won't respond to it. Then and only then do I step it up to something else--usually I paint a little Round Up on the leaves, which is easy on the one or two garden weeds that remain after Tenacity. Forcing out weeds by encouraging the lawn is, fortunately, very effective. At this point, I feed organically four times per year--May, August, September, and October, and then winterize in November when growth stops on the lawn. However, one year I dumped 37 pounds of organic nitrogen per thousand square feet. The lawn just grew like mad, spread like mad, and turned an incredible dark green. It's hard to mess up organics. Re the winterization when top growth stops, that actually is the most important feeding. It has to be done synthetically as temperatures are too cold for organics to decay in and work properly, but many people choose a urea nitrogen source as urea (although synthesized these days) is still an organic molecule that we produce naturally in our urine, and that the soil bacteria can handle easily and are used to. I'm sort of all over the map here, but it's a question of the actual sunlight amount the lawn sees. Answer that and we'll have a better route to where you want to go.
    ...See More

benjamin moore wilmington tan

Q

Comments (3)
    You might get more answers on the home decorating forum. The folks on that forum are pretty knowledgeable and experienced with colors. It seems like this paint forum is the place when discussing everything from choosing the correct paint (type), stripping, prepping as well as tools and techniques. Just a suggestion. Kathe
    ...See More

BM Wilmington Tan, can I go wrong?

Q

Comments (15)
    valinsv~I have always enjoyed looking at your room. I wasn't online for a little while, missed your posts, and wondered about your rug choice. It looks great! jan~I love your pics, I'm looking for a neutral to go with my new furniture (similar to yours) and my red DR, very excited to see how nice the BM WT looks in a home with furniture and rooms similar to mine! I was afraid that WT might be too much like the sofa, so it just blended in, I want it to stand out. p.s. I love your rug/drapes. balego~Please share a pic of BM Driftwood in your LR. My DD just gave us a new sectional (yay!), and now the kids want me to repaint the walls "cocoa". I really want a neutral that is darker, but not too dark. The adjoining DR is red, pillows on the sofa are red and fake cowhide (cream and brown). I know, I need to get some samples too.
    ...See More

Wilmington Tan too dark?

Q

Comments (15)
    I painted my foyer Wilmington Tan and it was just too dark and a bit orangish gold in my space. It looked much darker than the pictures above showing Johnatemp's house. There is a lot of red in the color, which didn't work too well with my dark wood entry doors and floors and minimal lighting (no windows other than sidelights and transom). My DH, who so did not want to repaint this room, would call me in during the late afternoon when the sun was streaming through the transom and point out how nice the color looked on the one piece of wall that got direct light! I agreed it was very nice in the direct light, but unfortunately my room only gets direct light for a very short period of time during the day. I will say that other people thought the color looked fine, and I did live with it for a month or so to see if I changed my mind, but it never grew on me. After spending a small fortune on the WT (my foyer took almost 4 gallons), I then spent another small fortune on the SW Believable Buff when I repainted (love the BB!). Definitely paint a large swatch or use big sample boards. My DH cut very large pieces of drywall for me so that I could decide which color I wanted to use to replace the WT (wish I would have done this in the first place!). I moved them around the room all throughout the day to get a feel for how the color would look in the different light. I chose Believable Buff, a light goldish tan, because it looked the nicest against my dark stained doors. BTW - I have an extra gallon if you're in the So Cal area!
    ...See More
  • gk5040
    16 years ago

The above picture is the best senario....if you want to keep all those pieces in the room. It really looks nicely put together, with all the accessories and pictures....way to go squirrelheaven! Just need to finish the crown molding. What do you think about extending molding from the fireplace up the wall to the ceiling. Its actually easy to do, they continue molding up the wall, add thicker crown at the top, so it juts out, and paint the middle white like the rest of the fireplace trim. It would make the fireplace pop. Can you put a rug in there too:) Then the picture is complete!

• jjam
    16 years ago

I told myself I would stay out of this one, since it seems I'm on the same wavelength as the person from Ethan Allen, but I checked in this morning and couldn't resist a thought . I am not surprised at the discovery that when having another couple over, it's awkward for one person to be separated from the conversation area. When we get stuck it's often good to ask ourselves what it is we are trying to achieve. If it is a room that will be used primarily for practicing piano, or for one or two people to use to read, rest, or in general, have a quiet place, then any number of the arrangements you have will be fine . Quite often, living rooms are used primarily for just those things. If, in addition to any of the above, you would like to incorporate a comfortable area to relax and visit with friends, I would really try to have that wonderful couch and beautiful chairs facing each other, somehow. Over time, you and your guests and family members will love that feature of the room; comfort, relaxed style, and a great place to visit and laugh together. Let the function of the room be the guide, and your great eye for color and scale will make the room sing. Best of Luck, and enjoy that beautiful space.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

ok, here's showing the accent in WT as you were thinking a bit earlier. The green wall is hard to change for some reason, so you have to squint and imagine a bit as it comes out quite yellow. Then, well ....

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Ha! Looking back over all the pics. It looks like this is back to square one. Although, I've done a relaxed fit by pulling the entrance chair/table out and around more and offset. The fp chair is also more forward. I think that looks like a good conversational distance, myself. Looking at some of the other arrangements, I'd be wanting to bolt and feel clostrophic just looking at the pics. Truly. Everyone doesn't like to sit that close :) Loveseats are a good example -- most people don't like to sit that close, so its usually just seating for one.

• jjam
    16 years ago

Squirrel, those look great! Beautiful job, as usual.

• les917
    16 years ago

The last pix from Squirrel are great, as always, but they are back to one of the first arrangements. The reason I don't think that worked then or works now is there isn't as much depth as it appears, so the piano is almost in between the two chairs like a table, not set that far behind them. Look back at some of the original pix and you will see what I mean.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Real depth, not a virtually contructed room. All I did was clip the chairs out of the real room photo and move them. And moved the sofa back which frees up a good bit of depth in the room -- instead of pulling it forward to try to center the seating around the fp opening.

Here's the plan and I just posted a front view, moving the chairs again.

It's actually much what she said was working for her at the outset. Hopefully she's fiddling in there again :) (No errands today, Val!)

The only problem I see is no service for the fp chair, unless someone isn't using the piano bench :) Maybe one of those tiny square 12" tea tables. Or, if the ottoman works there, a tray (but I see that spilling).

{{gwi:1609293}}

• wisrose
    16 years ago

I always thought the original looked balanced and symmetrical as opposed to the others that make the piano looked like it's jammed into a corner. Once everything is together and tweaked it may work out as the best solution.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Deconstructed! The circled chairs are the moved ones.

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    16 years ago

jjam: You make some excellent points about how this room will be used so I will explain. We are a family of 5--with three kids. We just completed a remodel of our home which included swapping the kitchen and family room resulting in more of a great room with a large kitchen central to both family and dining. This is where we spend the bulk of our time to relax and gather as a family and DH is in the process of putting together a home theater system. I am now reclaiming the living room as a place for civilized (i.e. adult) entertaining. I want it to be both a place that gives me joy when I walk by it daily and a place where I can gather in the company of friends to entertain (with the kids for the most part in the family room). I would like it if my daughters started playing piano again more (and the younger one may start lessons), but I wouldn't call it a music room. I'd like seating so that everyone can see everyone else. I like the two chairs together because sometimes people do have side conversations and that provides a more intimate grouping. As a hostess I can see myself taking the piano seat near the entrance so I can pop back-and-forth to the kitchen. I also like it relatively open near the entrance both as it feels more inviting and I can easily move the arm chairs from the dining room to this room for overflow seating and/or move the ottomans to provide extra seating. The cushion of one of the ottomans is not firm so you kind of sink into it--so either I would tuck that one out of the way (or even remove it from the room).

squirrel: You are amazing, what can I say? You really seem to know me and my taste. You are a very perceptive person. This board is truly blessed to have members like you. You know that coffee table you posted is very much like the ones I have been eyeing for months and I realized last night the coffee table would also be the drink table. I had been leaning towards a glass/metal coffee table of late. I can see how adding the coffee table in front of the sofa helps offset the fact that the sofa and chairs are not centered in front of the fireplace. More food for thought. I can't do any tweaking today as the trim guy is working on the crown. My neighbor is doing it for us on a part time basis and it's dragging on. I just did not want any more strangers in my house after the past year on contractors in and out at odd times.

les: I am still debating between these two as I do like the coziness of the two chairs together and makes the tall drum table feel less weighty. I will stay though the new overhead lights are much better with the dimmers to provide more ambient lighting and it distributes it more uniformly throughout the whole room. I see the lamps more for looks than anything else and will probably put only low wattage bulbs in them as I did my dining room buffet lamps.

Sunday or Monday, I'll try to post some new pics to narrow it down--though I think I will just leave one arrangement for a few days to see how it feels.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

No comment on the accent wall?! I loove it darker, lol. I may even vote for the black green! I think it gives the room more depth and really makes your fabric sing :))

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Here's one of those 12" 'tea' tables I was talking about. I like this pie-crust edge one better than the one I was thinking about (which is square with a boxed-in tracery edge around the sides, maybe you've seen them). This looks lovely sitting somewhat in front of the fp if it can be maneuvered in.

I wish to buy your living room. !

Here is a link that might be useful: 12 inch side table

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Hard to see the link to the table below the pic.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

I was wondering about the sofa on a diagonal a while back and just saw this.

Here is a link that might be useful: Room Arrangement

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Squirrel: So do I! There is still a long way to go to get there... rug, coffee table, artworks, lamps, etc. At least I have more of a sense of where I want to head with this room. Thank you! I did just spy this little table on CL like the one you pictured--though it's a bit of a drive, the price is right. If it's there Monday, I may consider it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Small side table

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Wow, that's a great one! Does look pretty small. Might be a 15". What a price, too! Missed this last round of pics, though, lol. Here's a light rug! Adjusted the wall color, too, as I think it's probably not as yellow as the photo shows. From the Karastan site.

To me, from here, having the chair and table curved slightly around to the opening says 'come gather round' rather than not being welcoming :)

You have made amazing and swift progress!!

(Sorry I didn't see the fire screen in the photo -- your lovely one is back!)

{{gwi:1609297}}

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    16 years ago

squirrel: I'm itching to get this arranged IRL and see if it looks as well as in your mockups; unfortunately, the trim is going SLOWLY.... Anyway, a few questions, if I were to go with this off center placement from the fireplace should I go for the larger rug (9x12 vs the 8x10)? I checked the Karastan website and they recommend framing it in around 12-18" all around. The 9x12 would yield an equal sized border of 30" which I prefer showing more hardwood but want the rug large enough to at least anchor the front legs on all my furniture (minus the piano). I was targeting something around 6x9 for my dining room. I'm leaning towards some of the bolder designs. I like your second to the last one better as I feel I have enough neutral already in the room. I also like the ones pictured in the 14:30 version. Is the first one an Aubousson? I do have expensive taste so would not be surprised. If I were to go that route it has the center design and if centered in the room, the center motif would go in the center; but then the way you've placed the coffee table, etc. would it look odd? Perhaps I should stick to these other styles you have with a border design and larger rectangular pattern.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

How lucky the angle on kmcg's great rug places nicely in there! to get a feel for the center motif. Haven't looked at the floor plan yet on size, but the colors and a central oval design look simply splendid, imo. I like the other style, but was on the hunt for something more open and really do like something like that in there.

Did you look at jejvtr's link? Some great rugs on there similar in style, too.

Now to look for that door jam in some of the pics above, lol.

{{gwi:1609298}}

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Here's the entrance included with another photo that lined up very nicely with the fp/room. I had to move the chair/table back just a tad in the virtual. I think it looks great. If having the furniture out into the room a bit by the door bothers you and it can't be adjusted inwards well, maybe a plant to soften the corner and connect?

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

The plan view is photographed on an angle, but here's an approx 6x9 and 8x10, shown flipped both ways. Odd how the 6x9 appears so much more square when flipped horizontally. Same darn rug!

{{gwi:1609303}}

{{gwi:1609304}}

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Actually, Val, if you look at the plan view, the table/chair is pulled into the room more than in the virtual -- which is more what you want anyway for conversation. So just keep tweaking the angles and positioning as you walk around and assess :)

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

It's allllwayyyys meeeee (like the song melody, ooooonly youuuuu). Am I the only one losing sleep over this, lol?

Trying to give you hope :)

{{gwi:1609305}}

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Pulling them away from the door still a bit more :) Seems like the placement just above.

Wondering how the drum table height worked with your chairs and beverages. ???

btw, your little table is in there now :)

{{gwi:1609306}}

• teeda_2006
    16 years ago

Val, your drapes and furniture are just beautiful. I like the latest layouts the best--with the couch against the window wall and the piano opposite.

I must say, though, that I love squirrel's idea of painting the accent wall a much deeper color. It makes the fireplace really pop. I think the softer shade sets up a bit of competition with other focal areas. The piano blends into the other wall a bit more more when the fireplace wall really becomes the stronger focus.

I love the palm in the corner, but will be honest and say that I don't care for the stained glass floor lamp in the room. I don't think it works stylewise. It also draws the eye to that wall. I would rather see a more traditional hinged lamp on the piano itself that could be adjusted to read sheet music.

When you're done this is going to be one gorgeous, comfortable and welcoming room!

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Someone's here! llol.

Val, also wondering if you've shown dh any of the accent wall shots, as he was wanting more contrast.

• diymadness
    16 years ago

Just wanted to chime in. I haven't read all the posts, but I like the darker accent wall. I think that its drama fits better into what is a fairly formal room, with dark wood, etc. The lighter green is more airy, which is pretty, but to my eye doesn't fit your furniture that well.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Here they are again, love those flowers up there with it! I think it's just stunningly beautiful. I really like the darkest one, too, almost bordering on an emerald but still with blue in it. (I made this one just a tad lighter that previously, as the deepest probably would be too daring :)

Gives the room depth, too.

{{gwi:1609308}}

• ctlane
    16 years ago

Hey squirrel, just wanted to let you know you are not alone.:) I have been watching this thread all week and really enjoying it. I love this room and wish I could move in also! It is going to look great when its finished. I wish I had as many options with furniture arrangements as this.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

lol, I never know! Glad you're enjoying it :) I am in love, lol.

• hoyamom
    16 years ago

No, no - you aren't the only one! I am watching you guys figure out this room. I can't contribute bc I am not very good at arranging nor seeing the big picture so this is fascinating to me.

I do love all the furniture and the colors are fantastic!
    My favorite peice is the hall/sofa table - WOW.

Keep up the good work!!

• budge1
    16 years ago

Hi V. (and squirrel). Just came across this thread and wanted to say I love the wall colour.

IMO, you need the couch in front of the window. I like the piano best behind the two chairs. Sorry I didn't read all posts above just looked at the pictures - so apologies if you've decided to do it a different way. The rug really brings it all together.

My dd1 is in her 2nd yr of piano and so far we just have a keyboard, but I am dreading having to fit a real piano in here. You've given me hope.

• karenn
    16 years ago

squrriel you are SUCH an asset to this forum! thank you so much for all the work you put in!

btw, i vote for the darker accent wall also. goes better with the color of the chairs.

• hoyamom
    16 years ago

Val - do you have a rug store near you that you could take your fabric samples/wall color to show them? It is difficult to buy a rug online when you can't see them up close and check the coloring. I think the rug is going to be very important in tying this room together.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

:))

Here are the links to jejvtr's rugs. Such a great rug store.

Rug1

Rug2

Rug3

Rug4

Rug5

Rug6

Rug7

Rug8

Rug9

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Everyone:

Last night after the trim guy left I went ahead and rearranged things like squirrel's mockup. I think she is right on with moving the couch back and not using a console table back there. I couldn't quite get the piano wall to look like it does from her angle--there was a big gap in the right corner (sorry did not take pics) so I tried flipping one of Les' earlier suggestions, but keeping the ottoman in front of the chair, though noticed squirrel took it out. Then, I turned on the fireplace and actually sat in the bergere chair and put my feet up on the ottoman and enjoyed the ambiance.

View from Foyer:

{{gwi:1609309}}

{{gwi:1584954}}

{{gwi:1609310}}

It is coming together more than I ever dreamed it would; thanks to the combined talents on this board and squirrel's amazing ability to help us all to visualize in 3D. I hope I can get the actual room to look half as good. I did purchase some candles and stands for the piano at Kohl's plus found an old turquoise book I put there for some added color.

Unfortuntely real life does not work as fast--the trim guy (our neighbor) is taking forever and I'm less than thrilled with the quality of his work. He has done carpentry as a side business for years and has all the equipment so I thought it would be a simple job, but turns out his job looks amateurish; but DH does not want to sack him so we are hoping end result with be OK with caulk/sand/touchup. Then I am still debating what to do with the rod/drapes. Our ceilings are only 8' high and I'm worried it'll look too squatty if I bring it down--plus with the less than stellar job of the crown, perhaps I should just have the drape guy come back and level out the rods.

Monday, I'll start looking at rugs locally. It helps a lot to get a feel for what works in the space and some suggetions about style for this room.

As for painting the accent wall a darker shade of green, it does look nice; though I will wait until I choose a painting for the mantle and the rug. Squirrel works much faster than I do. Expect to hear more from me with loads more questions; but lucky me to have a picture of my "inspiration" room to guide me.

On the kitchen forum they have an acronym--some of you probably know it--TKO (Totally Kitchen Obsessed). Somewhere along the line, I think I've become TDO (Totally Decorating Obsessed)!

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Ugh, I'd fill the gap with the lamp and such but maybe it's not quite what you want. Post some pics if you'd like and give us a go at it!!

Funny, I was daydreaming about flipping that seating group also. The room looks huge now, lol. You can dance! I think it needs to relax a bit. I'd pull the sofa forward more and tilt the chairs towards each other a bit as the angles don't feel right.

It's possible, with the ceilings being uneven, that you're just seeing things in the rough still, as filling would be necessary. How are the seams joining? Are the long runs laying flat together and cut on an angle?

• jejvtr
    16 years ago

I can't add much to this thread any longer....it's over my head - those of you who are involved are doing a great job & service. Squirrel you are tireless and invaluable - I have an exterior paint job on my home coming up - I think I def need your help!

Squirrel can you ps - rug 1,7,8,9 into vals room - I think from my perspective having a rug anchor may help the rest fall into place.

Val - just one little aside the plant needs a heftier planter

Great work all and good luck val we are all following

• Kathleen McGuire
    16 years ago

WOW! I was having so much fun with this Friday afternoon and haven't ben able to come back and see what was going on! A lot apparently! Everything is coming along quite well. That needlepoint looks fantastic in there! Actually, I like all thye rugs and would have a hard time making choices, but totally agree about the importance of seeing them IRL. This at least gives you a good idea of what the room can look like! Way to go squirrel! I really like the couch back toward the window. It opens the room up! I think the room is a good size for entertaining and conversation withouit having to pull all the funiture to the middle of the room. In a larger room, yes, but I don't think it works well in this room. Love the darker accent wall especially the dark green blue. It looks almost hunter with blue. I know it is a custom mixed squirrelheaven color but it looks gorgeous! I'll throw a monkey wrench in as another option for a rug and I think someone else already mentioned it: A seagrass rug! It totally relaxes a more formal room. Doesn't let it take itself too seriously :) Here are a few looks using natural seagraa or sisal. All of the below rooms all have one thing in common...a seagrass rug!

{{gwi:1609311}}
    {{gwi:1609312}}
    {{gwi:1609313}}
    {{gwi:1609314}}
    {{gwi:1609315}}
    {{gwi:1609316}}

• bac717
    16 years ago

I like this arrangement a lot, but am with squirrel and would try moving the sofa away from window just a little bit more. I especially like the bergere chairs closer to the FP. Now I have a few thoughts about lighting. If you use a table lamp on the round table between the bergere chairs, I'm not sure the floor lamp near the piano will work. You may be able to use a small accent lamp on the piano instead, in the right hand corner. The floor lamp could possibly be used on the right hand side of the sofa.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

lol, you're all funny -- jevjtr and HoyaMom... I'll try to catch your threads.

Val, as far as blank spaces and such, I really do think it's all about the accessories (and color). Arranging things asymmetrically is a trial and error sort of thing, so you just have to keep working things. But! those blank and odd areas add depth and interest to your space, though they may look odd when still incomplete.

Tossing a few more coins on the pile :) Playing with the spaces in varied ways. That's a beautiful little inlaid music box on the piano :)

(I notice some really pretty corner table arrangements in kmcg's pics!)

{{gwi:1609319}}

{{gwi:1609320}}

{{gwi:1609321}}

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

I just love some of those pics, kmcg! Do you think we get more lives???

Val, I was thinking the same thing about lowering the drapes on that wide window -- whether you'll get a squashed effect. Definitely something to think more about.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

You might also have a basket or magazine rack of music behind that chair! :) if the palm were at the fp wall.

(When I worked on the piano wall, it looked much better with a white mat -- but didn't check it out overall, as you just have to keep twiddling at the big picture till the puzzle pieces fall together :) That's what makes it fun!

• Kathleen McGuire
    16 years ago

Good morning! Yeah, had to throw in the monkey wrench like valinsv doesn't have enough to think about already! Seagrass is VERY inexpensive and used quite often by several designer's. Anyway, also notice the table height in most of those pics too. Most seem the same height or a little higher than the chair arm. I think we tend to overthink a lot when it comes to doing our own rooms. Really meant for inspiration more than anything. Also saw a lot of rooms where the rod was hung right under the crown. Over and over. Personally, I think it looks fine that way. In the end tho it has to feel right for your home. Hope you are seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. Thanks for letting me play!

• bungalow_house
    16 years ago

I've been meaning to post here but never get around to it. I love squirrel's arrangement. It's what I was going to suggest. ;)

The piano butted into a corner just looks odd to me.

It's going to be beautiful when you're done!

kcmg...love those rooms!

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    16 years ago

squirrel: I like the one with the red lampshade. I will keep these as my inspiration pictures as I continue to work on this room. You've helped immensely!

kmcg: Love all those pics you posted and they have given me lots of ideas.

bungalo_house: I think I need to get some more pieces to fill out the corners to make it work. Once the crown is done I can play around a bit more--as is, I move everything then the trim guy moves it all out of his way.

If anyone can find me the lyre/harp table that would make my day (and not on eBay as I'm not going to pay an arm-and-a-leg for shipping on something sight unseen after my chair fiasco). You've got me working back in that direction. I think I'm just going to start calling all the antique stores in the area.

BTW: anyone like this floor lamp (with a red shade) better?

Here is a link that might be useful: Craigslist floor lamp

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Val, here's the info on the coffee table. It's on a Raleigh CL, so it's probably something someone posted on your old thread or maybe one you found. But here's a pic for your hunt. Maybe you can put out an ad to buy it from whoever bought it! or contact the po to contact them, lol.

Didn't come across any others like it on a quick google, but did find this other long narrow one which is quite nice. At first I thought there was some sort of detailing on the legs, but I think the squiggly look is just coming from the photo and the pieces are probably smooth.

I see you know how to save photos from the threads! Note that you can also save the whole darn thread also :) I think it's the 'print' option on a r-click -- choose 'To File' when you ask it to print.

{{gwi:1609322}}

{{gwi:1609323}}

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yep, that's the one.... I've been spying them on eBay for past three months. In fact, I was drooling over a drop-leaf console table by Baker with a center lyre base, but the bidding went way up (around $1,000). After the chair fiasco, I want to stick locally; but most of the ones I find are on the east coast. I'll just keep looking.... Don't quite know why I have my heart set on this particular table, but I do. I was all set to switch over to the glass/metal one as these are all rectangular and I wasn't sure how it'd look when I centered the furniture in front on the FP; but you've shown it can be done so now I want it.

• redbazel
    15 years ago

I just found this thread again while looking for something else. And I just wanted to say to Val, that I'm so glad that no one listened to me when I voted against an accent wall. This room looks so nice with the blue-green accent wall.

Red