SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sbpoll

window treatment help - long w/ lots of pictures

sbpoll
16 years ago

My husband and I are nearing then end of a long diy mostly-kitchen remodel. When we re-did the kitchen (opened things up to neighboring rooms, added a walk-in pantry, painted cabinets, new granite & porcelain tile) we went ahead and painted all the downstairs areas a neutral color (SW Nomadic Desert looks a little pink in some of the photos, but not in real life) and are in the process of picking out wood flooring for all the downstairs areas except the kitchen & breakfast where we just put down tile. Although I donÂt claim to have an eye for decorating, weÂve been very pleased with our choices so far. I tend to over think things and as a result, move forward very slowly. Right now IÂm having a hard time deciding what to do with most of my windows. Maybe you guys can give me some input?

IÂd like to start with the breakfast room. IÂve got a nice size bay window that I made some seat cushions and throw pillows for. IÂm pleased with how they turned out. I used one of the pillow fabrics (reddish with beige dragonflies) to make a valance to go above my small kitchen window.

I think the breakfast room needs something above the window. It faces my backyard, and privacy isnÂt a concern. I was thinking about a valance across the top and would like advice on 2 questions. First, IÂve already used a lot of different fabrics in that window seat. IÂm afraid adding something different would be too much, but wonder if using the dragonfly print again would just be too matchy. I photoshopped (complete novice here!) a plain reddish one in  what do you think? Second, since the window is set back in a "box", do I put the window treatment in the back of the box with the windows, or on the wall outside the box? IÂm thinking I like it better outside the box.

Of course, now that IÂve opened up all these walls in my kitchen area, IÂve just made it difficult to tie things together. From the kitchen you can see the den with 2 large windows flanking the fireplace. In the other direction you get the dining room with a faux-painted red wall and a window squeezed between 2 angled ceiling areas. The living area adjoins the dining, with another nice-sized bay window set back in a box. All of these windows will need something for privacy. I do like wood blinds, but if I use them IÂd like to be able to raise them out of sight during the day. I love having big windows, but it seems like all of mine are challenging my limited imagination, being either set back in a box, or squeezed into tight areas! Can anyone help me make sense of this?

Comments (2)