SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flowerfavorite

Staining cedar siding - need lots of input!

flowerfavorite
14 years ago

Hi,

We're planning to re-stain our cedar siding in 2 weeks, and I'm looking for some helpful tips so that we don't make any huge mistakes! We moved into our house 4 years ago; it is 20 years old; and I believe there is a can of stain left from the last time they painted so that we can match the color. I've been searching this forum and the web for tips and here's what I've learned so far (and questions I have):

Brushing is better than spraying.

Make sure that it is dry before starting. (How much time needs to elapse after washing or raining??)

Stick with what is already on the house for color. (Is that right?)

Duration paint from Sherwin Williams is a good choice. (Are there others I should be looking at?)

100% acrylic formulation is best.

I also need some tips on types and sizes of brushes to buy.

Scraping and preparation work (what tools should I get and should it be pressure washed? Should I be sanding with a sander?

My husband and I do have a few helpers coming, but we are not experts at all on painting! Last year it took us a month to stain our deck - no kidding. :) The preparation work alone took us 2 full days. We certainly learned a lot, and I know everyone has to start somewhere. This time, I'm doing some searching to help us be better prepared with the right tools and knowledge before we start. If you have any tips on the topics above or any other ideas that I won't think of, I would greatly appreciate your input!

Thanks.

Comments (6)