SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
valinsv

Pics of our DIY Installation of drapes for sliding door in master

Valerie Noronha
16 years ago

A while back I had posted here with some questions regarding our installation of drapes and sheers in our master bedroom. It took us awhile to get it right, but we've finally completed it and I wanted to share the results.

We have an 8' slider in our master and require privacy as our neighbor's kitchen window would have a view into our bedroom so we needed to put in a layered treatment of sheers under pleated drapery. Since we don't often use the patio door, we decided to forgo a one-way traverse and go with a center traverse and stack the drapes back to either side. I ordered drapes from JC Penny's and DH installed, though we were less than satisfied with our first result:

{{!gwi}}

The outer drapes were a bit narrow as I had not sufficiently calculated for the returns and extra amount required for the outer rod. I had also planned to put another valance on top to hid the ugly traverse rod, but later changed my mind and decided to do a decorative rod on rings (which I could then get by with out the return):

Here they are with sheers closed:

Here they are with sheers open:

Overall I'm very happy with how they turned out, though it did take us 6 months to call this project done. DH and I made several small measuring mistakes (mostly due to how the return and overlap were calculated and how that affected bracket placement); but we sure did learn a lot in the process. I have a couple of decorative knobs I am thinking of putting in on the sides so that the drapes can be pushed behind it when we need to access the slider since they did not fully stack back; though am wondering if they will make the drapes poof out when closed. Any thoughts on that?

Below I am attaching a link to a website that I found very informative in hanging pinch pleats on a traverse rod.

Here is a link that might be useful: Installing pinch pleated drapes

Comments (2)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!