SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sooey_gw

Removing wallpaper paste ??

sooey
13 years ago

Hi Kids,

What is the best way to remove wallpaper paste from the wall once the paper has been removed. I am removing paper from a bathroom that my Dad hung over sheetrock in '75. The paper it comming off with no problem at all. I have removed just over 1/2 of the entire room using no water, just lift an edge, work my fingers under the paper and it lifts off all in one sheet, top to bottom. I now have 7 perfect rolls of used wallpaper that could be re-installed in another room...if it was not wallpaper from '75. As I said, I have not needed any water or solution of any type so far. I would have taken it all down by now but thought I better check in here first. What is left on the walls is the paste. It's dry and sandy feeling. The walls are sheetrock so I hesitate to spray stuff that will get it really wet. Is there something that will remove the paste witout damage to the wallboard? It seems that I should be able to 'wash' it off, no? I would rather not have to sand it off but if that is the only way, I guess I will.

Thanks, Kids, I appreciate any advice you can give me.

sooey

Comments (13)