SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
berryberry_gw

Bill V - and Kevin - A tile and granite question for you

berryberry
16 years ago

Bill and Kevin - thanks first for all your contributions - it has helped educate me on a lot here.

Three questions - one on granite, one on tile, one on using both in a backsplash

1. Bill - what is a fair price for tile installation and how do we go about finding a good tile installer in our area. We will not have a big job. Either 12 to 25 sq feet depending on if we tile one wall or two. We will buy the tile ourselves - it will either be Fallingwater slate in Moss Green by Stone and Pewter Accents (like KSFaustin posted in the linked thread) or Quartz Brick Fire and Ice from Jeffrey Court (like Jody in CA posted on same linked thread). Only one of the 3 KDs who bid our entire job quoted this - and the one who did I think is quite high at $50/sq foot for installation. Now maybe that is high becuase the job is small - but I seem to recall you mentioning $15 / sq foot is a reasonable number.

2. Bill / Kevin - I mentioned this on another thread I posted with a number of other questions. Why would 2 KDs who both use the same granite supplier / fabricator give me such widely different quotes for the same job with same specs (medium grade granite, basic edge, about 60 square feet). One is at $5500, the other $8300. First one says they are simply passing on cost from the fabricator - no markup. Second one says $5500 is below their cost so that can't be right

3. Bill / Kevin / others - we were planning to do a 4" granite backsplash around the counter. Then the decision is to tile (with the mini-slate tile noted aboce in #1) either the range wall or both the range and sink wall (its an L shapped kitchen). My initial inclination is just the range wall. However, one KD says that would look unfinished and strongly suggest we do both. Another would only do the space directly behind the range (not the entire range wall). Your thoughts?

Thanks

Here is a link that might be useful: tile pictures

Comments (13)