SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
dekeoboe

Blocking an archway

dekeoboe
11 years ago

I am moving into a house that I think has a terrible floor plan, so I need some help. My first problem is the formal living room. What was the architect thinking??

{{!gwi}}

(I can't get this to rotate to match the below photo)

{{!gwi}}

As you can see, there are many openings, which makes furniture placement difficult.

{{!gwi}}

This is the archway taken from the living room

{{!gwi}}

This is a better picture of the wall, taken from further away

My plan is to completely cover the archway that divides the entry way from the living room. The archway that divides the living room from the dining room will be uncovered.

{{!gwi}}

I will be using this wall unit to cover the living room side of the archway. The archway opening is 9'5" wide, 8' high in the middle and 7' high on the sides. The wall unit is 10' wide, and 7'1" high in the middle and 6'6" at the sides. I am okay with the fact that it is not quite as tall as the archway opening.

The problem is what to do with the archway opening on the entry way side. My first thought was to staple fabric to the wall on the living room side of the arch and then place the wall unit on the wall. But that was before I measured the wall unit and discovered it is shorter than the opening. If I do that, the staples will show above the wall unit.

I have this armoire that I could put inside the archway on the entry way side.

{{!gwi}}

But, it is only 7' tall and 4'7" wide. I am hoping you can help me figure out how to make this work. Attaching fabric to the back of the wall unit will not work because it breaks down into several pieces.

I sure hope someone can help with this challenge as I am stumped.

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Premier Home Center
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Loudoun County's Full Scope Renovation & Remodeling Experts