SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pam14_gw

Exterior paint color and insects, and neighbor's house color

pam14
14 years ago

Two part question here. My gambrel colonial is currently BM Concord Ivory (deep yellow), with off-white trim, and a red door. This was the color when we moved in. The house needs repainting, and I still like that color scheme, but may go with an even deeper yellow/gold (like BM Stuart Gold or Dorset Gold).

Question #1 - We seem to attract a lot of bugs and/or insects, i.e, ladybugs and stink bugs, to the exterior (especially the south-facing side of the house). Is it because of the color, or the sun?

Question #2 - The other color scheme we're considering (especially if the answer to #1 is that bugs are attracted to yellow), is to paint the house a barn red color. My only problem though is that our neighbor, who lives two doors down, has a red house. If we lived right next door, I wouldn't go with the same color. We all have large lots (2-3 acres each), so when you face my house, you can't even see the other house. So technically, I know I shouldn't worry what the neighbor thinks about me and my house color choice. Their house is a different style colonial also, so it's not like a cookie-cutter neighborhood. Would it bother you if your neighbor (whom you couldn't see), had a similar color house?

Comments (2)