SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kgolby_gw

Should cabinet & backsplash tile match?

kgolby
11 years ago

The attached photo shows the cabinets I've chosen for my kitchen remodel. The floor tile is not changing. I went to a tile store to start looking for backsplash ideas & these are the samples I took home. My idea is subway tile w/ decorative border at bottom. The honeycomb tile is for a niche above the range. Question - should I try and match the subway tile as closely to the cabinets or do the "cream colors" have to match? I'm not sold on the subway tiles so I have no problem w/ another choice. I really do like the small honeycomb tile. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

Comments (48)

• ellendi
    11 years ago

If you look at the finished kitchens here are GW, matching the backsplash to the cabinet color is very popular. This is particularly the case if you have a busy counter.
    That said, some pick up a color in the counter and use that.
    Rarely do you see a very dark color or the backsplash.
    First though, you need to tell us what your counter will be.

• Related Discussions

Backsplash? No backsplash? What kind of backsplash?

Q

Comments (25)
    didn't have time to read all the answers. I have no backsplash and have never regretted it...been over 6 yrs. It is painted with BM matte...which has ceramic in it. It is as beautiful now as it was when first painted. I love the fact that I can showcase other things ...art etc in my kitchen and no competition. Also if I ever want to change it is as quick as a paint brush...expense is minimal..paint only ! All in all I think it is serene as you point out . Here is one pick. Since I have a lot of high heat cooking in my kitchen..built in deep fat fryer as well as gas cook top I can definitely speak to the longevity of paint only. c ( more at this album )
    ...See More

How to make your own tile and back-splash (pic heavy)

Q

Comments (25)
    I'm not sure how I came across this post, I think it was displayed on the right side and I clicked on it being intrigued by the tile making. I was at one time interested in working with papercrete and hypertufa. But after enlisting my brother, who wasn't as enthusiastic, and my niece, who poured cement down my laundry room sink, which original to the house had lasted 70 years, and ruining three blenders, my interest waned. True to form, if I come upon difficulty in a project, I think of it as a sign for me not to continue. And really, after all these years of trying various crafts that result in crap, I should know better. I also should have known better than to ask my brother, who always says it can't be done to any of my unique design ideas. And I should have known better than to ask my niece, who once stayed up all night before having to drive to LA for an art show, cutting mat after mat after measuring once, twice, sometimes ten times, but always coming out with the wrong size. I think we both have math dyslexia. I should video us trying anything crafty to see where we go wrong. I think both of us having ADHD might have something to do with it. Sorry for the backstory and run on sentences. So, I just wanted to see if you continued with your venture. And to say sorry for whatever tragedy occurred to cause you to have to move to Florida. Not that there is anything wrong with Florida, but it isn't Panama. Which is one of my favorite places in the western hemisphere. I hope no one is upset that I brought up a seven year old post.
    ...See More

Kitchen Back-splash - Glass tiles FALLING OFF

Q

Comments (3)
    Here is a link to google, how that backsplash should have been installed. There are some u tube videos too. I watched one video, where they used grout, between the countertop and the backsplash, and grout should not be used there. Caulking shud be done between backsplash and countertop. My backsplash is also caulked in all the corners, rather than grouted. Once you watch these videos and read these articles, you will see that your thinset was put on improperly, and thats why your tiles are falling off. Please read carefully. https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=uI4VW7HdLszKjwTtrqSoAw&q=how+to+install+glass+subway+tile+backsplash&oq=How+to+install+glass+subway+tile+&gs_l=psy-ab.1.0.0l3j0i22i30k1l3.3755.12143.0.14244.41.29.3.9.9.0.173.3348.9j20.29.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.41.3556...0i131k1j33i22i29i30k1.0.70wb9L5GlO8
    ...See More

matching backsplash to white dove cabinets

Q

Comments (17)
    lindsjoyr, did you already paint one cabinet or is that a sample up there? I too think the dark cabs are so pretty with your appliances. If it were me, just grout and then live with it. If you want to paint cabs later, then go for it. (And hide the white coffee grinder ;-)). You have fab appliances and the backsplash is beautiful and classic and will be easy to clean.... You did a beautiful job!
    ...See More
  • kgolby
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Also, attaching a picture of the niche above range. New range will be SS & will not have back panel. I hope the quality of the photos is not too poor - using iPhone.

• kgolby
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's a close up of the granite we've chosen for countertops - Bordeaux River. I'll post a pic of the one of the full slabs too.

• kgolby
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's a pic of the full slab.

• kgolby
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Holding the cabinet sample door.

Don't apologize for your opinions. That's why I'm posting here because I value your opinions. :)

This post was edited by kgolby on Thu, Feb 14, 13 at 19:00

• ntredway
    11 years ago

kgolby,

I don't know what the answer is, but I've got to agree that I don't like the subway tile with your cabs. I do however, LOVE your granite with the cabs! You are on the right track, but I would keep looking for the backsplash.

• dilly_ny
    11 years ago

I love your counters. Not really sure about your backsplash (or mine). Why don't you install cabinets and counters and decide on backsplash later. 9 months later and I'm still without a backsplash though...

• kgolby
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok, thanks for the honest responses. Truly appreciate the feedback. Back splashes are really hard to design - way too many options. I'm going to another tile store tomorrow that sells Encore Ceramics. There are a few styles on their website that I keep going back to.

• raehelen
    11 years ago

Love your granite, and it's going to be gorgeous with those cabinets. Are the stained wood cabinets shown on the bottom staying, or are ALL your cabinets going to be the painted creamy ones?

Have to say, I'm not crazy about any of your BS choices. I looked and looked, and then gave it a rest when we did our kitchen. I'm glad I waited, as the one I choose just wasn't available when we finished kitchen. I would go on Houzz and just go through tons of backsplash pics, and create a folder of all the ones you love. (regardless of whether they would suit your granite or not), After a day or two of searching, you may see a trend in what you seem to like, whether it is colour, shape, texture, etc. that may help you narrow choices down when you actually go tile-shopping.

• kgolby
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, all the maple cabinets are going. They're builders grade so to me it's no big loss - some may end up in our garage.

I love houzz.com and already have an idea book w/ all my favorite back splash images. I have to agree that I no longer like the samples I came home with today.

• Tmnca
    11 years ago

I LOVE your granite, and it's going to be the centerpiece so I would try to match the backsplash to the cabinets, with no accent tiles, and keep it simple so it doesn't compete with that gorgeous granite. However I think in your pic the subway looks too white compared to your cabinet color. Can you get a closer match?

• kgolby
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Tinan, that's exactly what my husband said. Who knew he actually had some good design tips....ha!ha! ðÂÂÂ

I didn't have my cabinet sample w/ me when I went to the tile shop so I should be able to find a much better match. I will be sure to take cabinet w/ me. It's not a true ivory color which is what it's called. I think it has grey undertones - almost like a mushroom color.

• sprtphntc7a
    11 years ago

granite is awesome....!!!!

i would pull out your favorite color in the granite and use that for the b/s.. you have a few to choose from and i think alll would go with the floor and cabs...keep it clean and simple, no deco pieces.....

you could always use the granite for b/s, depending on how much u need or use a piece behind cooktop or even use it for the niche above stove....just some thoughts....

• stacylh
    11 years ago

Ditto the others.....I think you could find a tumbled marble that would work well with your cabs and counter.

The one my MIL has would work well and I think she got hers at Lowe's or Home Depot.

• kgolby
    Original Author
    11 years ago

When y'all are suggesting no deco tiles, keep it simple, are you suggesting the same in the niche? I've looked at back splashes w/ niches on houzz.com & I really like the images that show the niches w/ a different color tile. For example, white subway tile along main wall & the niche has a small harlequin tile in blue & niche is framed w/ decorative border. If I did something similar y'all think that would be overkill?

Here is a link that might be useful: [Image on houzz.com[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/white-kitchen-traditional-kitchen-chicago-phvw-vp~406667)

• ellendi
    11 years ago

I like your example. It works because they have blue on the accent tiles and also blue walls. Nice way to highlight the color element.
    I would not like it as much if they just had a color in the niche without the other elements in blue.

• kgolby
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, I agree, ellendi. I plan on repainting my walls in my kitchen. Not sure of color yet but that's what I was thinking of using the niche tile to accent the color I choose for the walls.

• Tmnca
    11 years ago

Yes I think a different color in the niche would be nice, a slightly contrasting color perhaps a few shades darker. I meant no decorative tiles along the backsplash, it would create too many horizontal lines, with all the curves lines in the granite I think it would not go well. But I'd no expert decorator, that's just my opinion!

I tend to like rooms with one focal point, where everything else quietly complements it. So in this case I would certainly want that granite to be the focal point.

• kgolby
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone for your suggestions & opinions. Greatly appreciated. I'm off to another tile shop today so I hope to have better choices to ask for more opinions. :)

• eam44
    11 years ago

"My idea is subway tile w/ decorative border at bottom."

I'm not a huge fan of the "decorative border" style of bs so if this is what you want, I may not be the best resource for you. Full disclosure: as much as I love your granite, I would not have chosen it with your floor tile. But in case it is helpful to you to get a contrasting point of view let me try to explain why your approach may not give you the look you want.

Busy stones look better with quiet bs tiles, and quiet stones look great with more complex, busy bs tiles. It's all about balance.

In your inspiration image the (busy) deco tile sits on top of a (quiet) black stone in a room with a quiet floor, and they create "interest" (to the extent they do) by using several contrasting tiles (border, field, niche) to highlight individual bs areas. This is not your situation.

You have a busy floor that is staying put, and a really beautiful stone that has a lot of color and movement in it - super busy. For the sake of visual harmony, resist the temptation to choose a busy bs.

Unless of course that is what you want. If you like every inch of your space to pulse with decoration, go for it, but I'd wait, as others have recommended, till the stone is installed and you can better visualize what you've got.

If you love the border look you could always choose a quieter granite. With your current choices I would keep the bs monochromatic and pull the color from the stone. This is Casamood Vetro glass mosaic tile. Good luck!

Vetro Metalli in Platino
    {{!gwi}}

Vetro Neutra available in several sizes, mosaic, sfalsato, dritto..
    Silver Lux mosaic
    {{!gwi}}
    Silver Lux Dritto

Tortora Sfalsato

Here is a link that might be useful: Casadolce

This post was edited by EAM44 on Sat, Feb 16, 13 at 18:12

• kgolby
    Original Author
    11 years ago

EAM44,

You make some valid points about floor & granite being very busy & I should stick w/ a calming bs. I love the images you attached. My favorite is the silver lux mosaic - OMG! It's gorgeous. I'm also attaching an image of the subway tile I was envisioning (minus deco border at top). Is this too much? And if this tile is appropriate should I go matte or glossy? I've found some tile at Ann Sacks that has a couple of colors that may match cabinets.

This post was edited by kgolby on Sun, Feb 17, 13 at 19:21

• eam44
    11 years ago

The beveled subway tile is very pretty and not busy at all. It would be a fine choice. As for matte or glossy, whichever finish you pick for your stone would be great with your tile - they don't have to match, but they may harmonize better if they do. By the way, you could use the hex (honeycomb) tile that you love for the entire bs.

This post was edited by EAM44 on Mon, Feb 18, 13 at 8:38

• kgolby
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok, I went back to the Tile Shop & the gentleman helping me said because of the of high end finish & high end color of my cabinets it will be difficult to find a ceramic or porcelain tile to match exactly. He said I'd probably have to go w/ custom tiles. This was his suggestion - a glass tile that compliments the cabinets, granite & floor tile. What do y'all think about this? He also said to stay consistent w/ same tile in the niche area and outline niche w/ travertine pencil border. The same pencil border would be used to finish off the ends of glass tile. Thoughts would be greatly appreciated. :)

• kgolby
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's another image. Thanks, guys!

Kara

• islanddevil
    11 years ago

If your floor isn't changing I take it your layout will remain the same?

Can you please post a few pictures of your kitchen so we can get a rough idea of how much of the area is backsplash, countertop and cabinets?

Also it's hard to picture the range niche when the photo is so close....and upsidedown :>)

Thanks!

• kgolby
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry the pics are upside down. On my iPad that I use to upload pics to GW my pictures are right side up. If someone can give me pointers why they're appearing upside down it would be greatly appreciated.

Here's an image of my current kitchen - no change to layout. Appliances are being replaced w/ SS, new cabinets, & countertops. Floor is staying the same.

• kgolby
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Counter right of the range & next to refrigerator.

• kgolby
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The left side of range.

• Gooster
    11 years ago

I'm pretty much at the same stage as you, perhaps slightly behind, in my choices.

FWIW, I think the glass tile goes well with the cabinets. You need to ensure, however, that it does not look too busy with your granite.

If you do go the custom route, Sonoma Tilemakers has a wonderful selection of shapes (including subways), textures and sizes in a variety of neutral hues in both ceramic and glass. I've seen people successfully use larger field tile and then more decorative shapes in their niches, as long as the hue remains the same overall.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sonoma Tilemakers

• jerzeegirl
    11 years ago

I saw this picture on houzz and I think something like this would be very pretty with your granite. Sorry that the photo is distorted!

[Traditional Kitchen design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by Portland Kitchen And Bath Robin Rigby Fisher CMKBD/CAPS

Sonoma makes a subway color toast and it looks very much like the one in the photo.

• kgolby
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sonoma has some very pretty tile. There's one showroom where I live that carries Sonoma brand so I'll have to check it out tomorrow. I'm finding the bs to be the most overwhelming decision.

The sales rep at store I went to today said I'd be looking at around $50/sq ft for custom tile. That's WAY out of my price range but hopefully Sonoma will have some good choices. I couldn't find the color you were referencing, jerzeegirl. Thank you though for the attached pic.

• jerzeegirl
    11 years ago

Here is a picture of mine. We decided we wanted it to match the cabinets and then put some bling by using crushed black glass slivers. I am posting the unfinished backsplash because it's a closeup and you can see the detail better.

Here is a link to the Sonoma tiles web site. The toast color is one of the crackle colors. It was between toast and butter and we decided to go with butter (getting hungry? lol).

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• kgolby
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the link! Color is really pretty - can't wait to see if it's a good match tomorrow.

• islanddevil
    11 years ago

Beautiful cabinets and they will look great with your granite!
    Sorry though I don't think the floor matches anything. The color or undertone looks completely wrong, and it adds another pattern that isn't complementary, but it sounds like it's here to stay so I wouldn't add another strong pattern or color in the backsplash. Actually I wouldn't add another anyway. Let the granite shine!

I think a simple backsplash without decorative pieces would be best. I like your idea of a subway tile if you can find a light tone that coordinates with your cabs. Looks great in your inspiration pic and the one jerzee girl posted. Nothing boring about those and a bevel would add a little dimension. You mentioned Ann Sacks and it looks like they have several colors. I wouldn't think you'd have to go custom.

I like the penny round in your first photo and the glass tiles in the others, but I think both are too sleek or modern for your cabinet style and granite pattern.

In general I'm not a huge fan of decorative pieces behind the range, but I like the simple contrasting color one in your inspiration pic, however for your kitchen I think it would look better without one. Even without the backpiece on the range, the range in a corner and the micro overhead makes the space look small and I think it would look cluttered if you added any more pattern. JMO.

Hard for me to tell from the pics, but do your cabs go to the ceiling or into a soffett?
    Just curious, if you're not changing the layout at all, did you consider refacing or are your current cabs shot? That would save a bundle...at least it does on the remodeling shows! :>)

• kgolby
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, I guess once everything is installed & if the floors look horrible we might be changing them. Ugh!!!! Not what I want to do because we have a ton of tile in our house that would have to be removed. That would just absolutely suck.

New cabinets will not go to ceiling & we don't have soffits. My ceilings are 10' high. New cabinets will have a wider crown molding on top & upper cabinets will have some that are staggered higher to make the area not feel so large & tall.

The quality of our current cabinets are builders grade so I wouldn't want to invest anymore money into them but I did inquire about refacing a few years ago. It costs almost the same to replace w/ new cabinets as it does to reface (the biggest expense are the cab doors).

I have requested some sample tiles from AS so I hope to have them soon. Good thing I still have a few weeks before demo starts so I'm not feeling too rushed. Ha!ha!

This post was edited by kgolby on Tue, Feb 19, 13 at 21:55

• islanddevil
    11 years ago

I'd love to have those high ceilings! Thanks for answering my other Qs. I'm sure the floor wil be fine when all is said and done and for all I know my monitor may be misrepresenting the colors. Look forward to seeing your other tile samples and your finished kitchen.
    BTW who makes your cabinets and what's the color? Love the color!

• kgolby
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok, I went to a tile store that carries Sonoma Tilemakers & OMG, I love it! I THINK I've found my backsplash tile. The image below shows the cabinet door, existing tile floor, & 2 tile samples ( L side - Butter & R side - Twine) against the granite. I think I like Butter the best. Jerzeegirl recommended Sonoma (huge thanks!!) in Toast but it was too pink against cabinet sample. I'd like to get it in the beveled subway shape which is beautiful. The sales rep @ tile store said I could do the rhomboid (harlequin) tile in same color in the niche. Haven't made up my mind about that yet. Let me know your thoughts, please.

• kgolby
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's a close up of the 2 samples. Left side - Butter (crackled) & right side - Twine (crackled). Grout samples are on top too.

• kgolby
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's what the beveled tile looks like. I love this style.

Island, the collection is called Victoria Ivory & shockingly the cabinets are from Cabinets To Go. I know CTG doesn't get much love here. To be honest, I was very nervous about ordering these cabinets just because of the reputation of Chinese cabinets but they really are a nice quality cabinet & finish. We didn't order through CTG but our kitchen contractor uses the products in his business. I've been very surprised & relieved when I've been taking the door sample into the tile showrooms the compliments I've received about the quality of the door. We have been able to customize some of our order by working w/ our kitchen contractor. I will post pics after kitchen is complete.

This post was edited by kgolby on Wed, Feb 20, 13 at 15:54

• sprtphntc7a
    11 years ago

my vote:

"twine"

• islanddevil
    11 years ago

Thanks for the cabinet scoop. I've never heard of that company, but I've only started to look at options. What is the color called?
    That looks like a great choice for backsplash in either color. I also prefer butter. It's hard to tell from the small sample, but it looks closer to your cabinet color and doesn't add another shade or undertone to compete with the countertop or floor.

I've read it's best to compare samples by aligning them in the same plane they'll be installed. Vertical for the cabs and backsplash, horizontal for counter and floors, but hard to do with a slab of granite!

Will you be able to get a few subway samples in the colors you like, hopefully more than one of each? if so please post again.

• sumac
    11 years ago

I hate to be a naysayer here, but I think the flooring and granite are competing and don't work well together. Since both are such permanent installs, I would want them to play nicely together.
    Could you place a dozen floor tiles next to your granite choice (which is BEAUTIFUL btw) to get a better visual?
    Love your latest choices, just not with the current floor tile. Sorry, but I think you will be happier in the long run if you plan the major surfaces to coordinate from the get go.

• Tmnca
    11 years ago

I like the butter color, and also love the bevel subway! I am not sure how the granite and floor tile will go - is the floor already installed?

• kgolby
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I really love the beveled tile too, tinan. Only concern is how will it be installed around the niche? When the sales rep @ tile store tried to explain it to me I didn't understand. That's why I think the flat subway may be a better choice.

Yes, floor tile was installed when we bought our house 13 yrs ago. If the tile just absolutely clashes w/ granite then the floors will have to be changed but in the future. Not anything that we could do right away.

• remodelfla
    11 years ago

kgolby... I wanted to revive this thread to ask you about the pricing on Encore Ceramics. Did you see them and if so, could you please share the sq. ft price on the field tile?
    Thanks!

• kgolby
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Remodelfla,

I never got around to seeing Encore Ceramics in person. But by looking at their website again & w/ the tile you are considering I'd guess to pay around $18-$19/sq ft. I say that because it looks very similar to the flat Sonoma Tilemakers tile I liked & that's the pricing the tile store gave me. I ended up going with 3x6 beveled tile. The original quote was around $29/sq ft but negotiated & got it down to $24/sq ft. Hope this helps.

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Love your counter and cabinets - I think you need some contrast or it will look like you were trying to match and failed.
    Of the ones shown, I like the twine the best.

Pull one of the gorgeous colors out of your counter and you will have a winner!

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville