SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
reeree_natural

EK Mocha? Adobe?

reeree_natural
15 years ago

It's getting to that time of year again when I need a change. :) has anyone use EK mocha or adobe? Pictures?? I want to add warmth and color to the family room..it is putnam ivory and I am very tired of it (only had it for a year or so, but time to go!) I would like to have raised paneled walls installed and paint the top half mocha ( all soft white trim)I am waiting for the 90 piece sample pack from EK..can't wait! I spoke with her a few times, she is very nice and helpful..

if any of you used these colors, I would love to see your rooms.

Thanks!!

Ree

here is a photo of the room

[IMG]http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc72/reeree_natural/reesphotos079.jpg[/IMG]

Comments (26)

• amysrq
    15 years ago

Funcolors has a shot of Adobe on her site. I'll give you a link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Adobe

• reeree_natural
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you Amy! Wow..beautiful colors and house..

thanks for the link..it is a beautiful color!
    Ree

• Related Discussions

Do you paint the doors the same as the wall?

Q

Comments (21)
    All of the doors and windows, walls and ceilings in this rental house are the same shade of antique white. I don't think I will paint the dining room trim or doors white white - the rest of the antique white will look dirty. Plus if I paint the trim and doors in the dining and kitchen white, what about the doors, window and trim in the adjoining hall and living room? And the trim is not even the same width on different doors. It would look goofy if I highlighted that cheap design. I plan to paint 3 full walls of dining room EK Taupe. Thanks all for helping. See painting plan below.
    ...See More

Paint question

Q

Comments (2)
    I've done a heck of a lot of painting and I never know what I'll need. I just buy a gallon of each color I want (unless I already know I'll need less, like for an accent wall or just below a chair rail). When/if I run out, I get more. I usually don't run out. Good luck and I can't wait to see your pictures!
    ...See More

How much paint to buy?

Q

Comments (7)
    Hello! If ya haven't run across this already... A gallon of paint (quality-lines anyway!) usually cover 380-400 sq. ft. Any more than that and the films' gettin' too thin. In a 12' x 14' bedroom with 8' ceilings; subtracting out area of a door & avg. window; gives exactly 400 s.f. This example-room would need 2 gallons of paint...1 gal. for each coat. If you wanted, just measure around the bottom of your room for the "baseboard" length, and multiply by 8 if you've got 8' wall-height. Then subtract out the s.f. of all windows/doorways. I'll stop babbling now... Faron
    ...See More

Paint color for this wall?

Q

Comments (9)
    Hi, I agree with brushworks ashen green is the best combination with your unique home decor. Because it have dark color, I think light combination is the best one. You can also try Lichen. I find it very smooth to walls, ceiling & trim, is has the ideal mix of gray, blue and green. It mixes blue's calming, gentleness with green's healing, rejuvenation and balance and adds the relaxing, contemplative qualities of gray. Here is a link that might be useful: Colors
    ...See More
  • User
    15 years ago

Ellen Kennon Mocha:

Ellen Kennon Adobe:

• amysrq
    15 years ago

Thanks for posting, demi. I knew you had these colors, but I thought you might have moved to greener pastures. Nice to see your gorgeous rooms again!

• User
    15 years ago

Thanks, amy, I need to add some finishing touches to the house but was sidetracked with life and recently other life changes; hopefully in the coming year or so I'll have a renewed interest in decorating and complete my plans for the house.

I do like to pop in now and then to see what's new--I still love all of my EK colors!

• reeree_natural
    Original Author
    15 years ago

demifloyd
    omg! what a beautiful home you have.. wow! Thank you so much for sharing ..I appreciate it very much.. I absolutely love the colors, very warm and rich.. You have beautiful furniture and I think you did great with picking these colors, they all compliment each other. I just received my 90 piece sample pack from EK.. I canÂt wait to start painting.. I am definitely using the mocha in my family room, leaning towards the sage in my kitchen and breakfast room.. ( they kind of go Âinto one another) I think they will look wonderful one room to the next.. I may even get a little daring and use "ChristineÂs cloud" on the ceilings, or another one of her very pale blues, I think it will be gorgeous with the browns ..I do have my work cut out for me, thatÂs for sure , but it will be worth it! :)

Thanks again! Enjoyed your pics!
    Ree

• User
    15 years ago

Thank you, reeree. There are actually ten different EK colors in my home. I was originally nervous about using so many different colors, but they transition very well. Here is a photo of the EK Sage, which I used in my small gym and in the laundry room.

• reeree_natural
    Original Author
    15 years ago

demifloyd

I can't believe all of my favorite colors are all in your house!! 3 down, 7 to go.. what other colors do you have... :) Once again, it looks fantastic. I agree. .her paints seem to work very well together, I just love them. I like the sage very much ..my kitchen has dark cherry cabinets, with tan-ish subway tumbled marble and antique bronze accent tiles.. I think it would work well in there.. Have you ever used a pale blue on your ceilings?? I am not a blue person, but I have seen it done in pictures and I think it is a pretty lookÂ. IÂll see how that goes as I have always been a white ceiling personÂ

Thanks again, love it
    Ree

• saltnpeppa
    15 years ago

Wow!! Beautiful rooms, Demifloyd....

Smiles:)

• amysrq
    15 years ago

Reeree, all of my ceilings here are Gustavian Gray. I also used GG and Alex Blue in the last house, but the GG just tends to work better with the wall colors I am drawn to.
    . .
    . .
    . .

Demi, I have heard you allude to some big life changes and I send you warm wishes for peace and the smooth passage of time, which heals most wounds. I am glad Ellen's colors still bring you some joy.

• reeree_natural
    Original Author
    15 years ago

amysrq
    I have the sample card to GG..I like it , a very soft and calm color. Does it lean towards gray or blue? I canÂt figure it out.. sometimes it leans toward blue, other times gray. I also like a fairly new one EK put out, called Christine's Cloud, that is a beautiful one also. What sparked an interest on going towards the pale blue ceiling believe it or not was hollygolightlyÂs guest BR.. She gave me the colors, but we do not have her brand paint around here, but SW can mix it.. when I saw EKÂs colors, I found similar pale blueÂs and I was hooked on her colors across the board. Truly beautiful. If you have a picture of you GG, I would love to see it on your ceiling .
    Thanks
    Ree

Demi

I am not sure what you have been enduring , but I am sending you my thoughts and best wishes .

• User
    15 years ago

Thanks, scoobyruby !

Reeree, I forgot I have Gustavian Grey, as well, on my ceiling in my dressing room, so that's twelve EK colors.

I asked Ellen to custom make several colors for me--one is what a friend of mine described as "Cognac," so that is what Ellen decided to name it! I used Cognac in my living/dining room, and the custom blue she made for me is what she named "Dusk." It is on the barrel ceiling in the dining room and in the foyer--so yes, I have blue ceilings!

Thank you for your good thoughts--I am not comfortable posting details here but let's say that those moments in life that you dread and think are down the road--one day they happen before the sun goes down--or comes up.

• hoyamom
    15 years ago

reeree - Demi's home is an inspiration!
    I loved her Cognac so much that I used it in my master bedroom. I have used 7 of EK's colors and love them all. I have used mustard seed the most - it's in my family room, kitchen and basement. I have Lavender Mist in the guest room, Ashen Green (might be my favorite) in my dining room, Wheat in the common areas, Berry Red in my powder room, Parchment in my master dressing area and master bath. I love them all!!

Good luck choosing - there are so many beautiful colors!

• reeree_natural
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Demi

geez.. your killing me. .lol! besides you having beautiful colors that go perfect together. .your home is amazingly beautiful.. so much detail.. you can tell a lot of love went into it, you must love to come home at the end of the day. .or anytime of the day :) I like the GG.. ah. .decisions, decisions!

thanks again, I love it all!
    Ree

• reeree_natural
    Original Author
    15 years ago

hoyamom

Yes, Demi's house truly is! I remember your home too..beautiful!! I remember your kitchen with honeymoon..it looks beautiful in there. I also remember when you were doing your BR. I almost did my kitchen HM, but I wanted 'light and bright' after I removed all the wall paper.. I went with BM putnam ivory in three rooms that go into one another. .now I need a change. it is very boring to say the least. I love EK colors, they make a statement for sure, so I am ready!

I really missed GW..I haven't been here in a long time. .life took me to other places... every time I pop on someone else is sharing there talent.. so many on here are inspirationsÂ.

Post your pictures, would love to re visit them!
    Thanks!
    Ree

Demi..I forgot to mention.. I have your custom colors in my sample pack.. That is so neat they came from you! That is a huge compliment that Ellen incorporated your custom colors into her line! wow!! One other question. .what white did you use for your trim??

• User
    15 years ago

My trim color is SW Rice Grain--it has a lot of green in it, but so do the EK colors I used.

If you have more beige or pink in your colors, SW Wool Skein is a good off white trim color.

• reeree_natural
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have basically your colors.. I am a green, gold, red person... I was thinking of BM white dove... a lot of my trim in the front of the house is just white..now using browns, I want a white that is not so stark, but still looks white..if that makes sense.. I am still throwing it around...

thanks again..I will check that out too!
    R-

• hoyamom
    15 years ago

reeree - my kitchen is mustard seed and it connects to the family room. I am also a gold/red/green person. EK has pictures of my rooms in her gallery. My kitchen has dark maple cabinets with New Venetian Gold granite. It is still not "finished" - I need to get some window treatments up. I guess when I am ready I will come here for advice.
    Keep us posted on your choices!!

• hoyamom
    15 years ago

reeree - take a look at the post concerning taking a look at 5 houses. Click on the first house - Nantucket - and scan through to the master bedroom. They have painted it a choc brown - might give you inspiration for your Mocha/Adobe room.

• reeree_natural
    Original Author
    15 years ago

hoyamom
    I will have to take another look in EK's gallery and see your rooms on there .. that is pretty neat! I don't know why, I was thinking your kitchen was cherry..my mistake.

I did see the 5 houses thread..I saw the milk chocolate room..as much as I love it, it is too dark for my family room... I was then leaning with Mocha...but in the morning light is seems to take on a gray look... same thing with the edgewood green in my kitchen, but the afternoon light it looks like they are suppose to as to the color card sample..I am also playing with chestnut... I am taking my time to figure it all out..it's amazing how hard it is to get it all right..one thing, after this I want to hang up my brushes for a while :)

• reeree_natural
    Original Author
    15 years ago

hoyamom

I saw your rooms on Ek's site..very pretty! I saw your kitchen again and I remember it well.. They do look like cherry on my monitor... MS looks beautiful in there, very warm. I do have a quick question about EK paints..how much do the colors change? Is it just like any other paint when the lighting is different??

Ree

• hoyamom
    15 years ago

I am not sure if they actually "change" but there is a richness to them. When I have guests they always comment on the paint in that family room - not so much what's IN there (furniture etc) but the paint. The diningroom (Ashen Green) is the same way - just really rich.
    When my painter saw the Ashen Green for the dining room he kind of said it was too dark for my north facing room but when he was finished painting he said it was an awesome color and it ended up looking totally different from what he expected it to. Same here - so I had him put it in my basement bathroom with no windows and it looks great in there.
    So yes, lighting does make a difference. I have Wheat in my common areas and into my husband's office. It's ok, not really my favorite - not really "luminous" so I may have it redone in a few years with some other color - more of a cream. Wheat is too yellow in those areas. I know you aren't considering those colors anyway. I would respect anything that Demi says - she really has an eye for color.

• hoyamom
    15 years ago

I forgot one other color I have - one of my favorites - Aqua!! How could I forget that one? That one looks luminous too.

• reeree_natural
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ahhhh, aqua is a beautiful color. Where did you use that? I will tell you what I think is an incredible combination, I would of never thought of using the two colors together in a million years.. Demi using cognac and dusk together. .that is just gorgeous.. I have my dining room and stair way separated by and entry.. All painted a color almost exactly like mustard seed.. With white raised panels walls on the bottom (entry & stair way only) so now I am thinking to use dusk in the middle (entry) my fear?? It will look horrible when I do it.. lol! I guess you can say, I really need a lift.. I guess I am feeling I am not in love with my house as I once was. Thoughts of moving is always on my mind for years, but this house has good bones and it needs to be brought out. Funny how it comes so natural to help family and friends decorate, but when it comes to my own house, I go blank after nearly 7 years in this house, I finally have ideas in what I want to do with moldings and mill work.. It is challenging to keep it to the house ( circa 1887) Now just getting the colors down pat will be a big plus. Wish you guys lived closer, I would have a decorating party ! But I do appreciate the long distance , cyber world inspiration and help I have received from many of you! I have truly learned so much!!

Thanks again!
    Ree

• hoyamom
    15 years ago

I was going through Ellen's picture pages and saw my bathroom in there - the Aqua one and then I remembered it. It is very close to the Grey Wisp I just put in my DD's room.

I hope you will find what works in your house. I have Cognac in my master bedroom and would love to put some crown molding up and paint the ceiling dusk - it might be very relaxing.

I love this board bc I have a hard time seeing the big picture and putting it all together. The people on this site are so helpful.
    Keep us posted on what you decide.

• levelyn42
    15 years ago

It is good to see you are back, you have been missed. You have helped me with a lot of your favorite cleaning products on the cleaning site. Your house is also beautiful and remember especially your pretty dining room and stair case. I hope you will post how you like the EK paints.
    EV