SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wormgirl

don't like color, changing it to EK - gloss question

wormgirl_8a_WA
17 years ago

I painted my bathroom robin's egg blue, disliked it, and now want to change it to a pastel Ellen Kennon color. The robin's egg color was done in Behr Kitchen & Bath, which is quite glossy, but appropriate for this room (more on that below). It was just painted a few weeks ago, but I plan to reprime with Zinsser 123 in order to be able to make a good color decision in the room's true light. Also to get better coverage, and the gloss/adhesion factor.

The question is: what gloss to get the EK paint in. In this old house -- with no fans in the kitchen or bathroom -- people have used full gloss oil-based paint on the walls in the past. Yeah, old school! (I used a Zinsser alklyd primer to go over the oil paint.) Anyway, it held up really, really well. It's pretty darn moist in the room -- in fact the shower gets some of the walls wet. (It's a faked-up shower in a bathtub-height surround!)

For this reason, I hate to go much lower on gloss than the kitchen/bath that's there now. ISI makes a Satin paint, but EK does not mention it on her webpage. She jumps from eggshell to semigloss. I don't know if there would be an extra fee for her reformulating paints into Satin. The ISI guy told me their paints tend to run glossy. If he'd said the opposite, I'd go to the semigloss, but am worried it might be a bit much. But I'm also worried about it being very scrubbable. I know it shows tons of flaws, but... jeez, the house is 111 years old. I can live with some flaws.

What would you do - try and get Satin, or just go straight to the semigloss? Obviously, a bathroom fan is part of the eventual plan. But realistically, one may not get put in till I truly gut and redo the whole room, which will probably be at least five years from now.

One idea I have is to do an accent wall "shower stall" in full gloss paint. I'd just wrap the accent wall around to where the tile ends. Aesthetic and functional? Or bizarre?

Comments (13)