SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kdw72697

Stagger Heights? Hold Out for New Hood? Both? Neither?

kdw72697
15 years ago

Hello, Helpful Forum Folks!

At the advice of so many of you here I finally began my little kitchen update on a shoestring budget. I stripped off all the wallpaper in both the kitchen and the adjoining dining room and removed my collection of tins and other decor.

I have to wait for some minor drywall repair before I can prime and paint, which has given me time to think (dangerous!).

What super-cheap things can I do in my stove area to help in addition to adding a backsplash? That project is a definite, just as soon as I get up the nerve to try my hand at tiling.

Should I raise up those little cabinets over the stove to stagger the height a little? Can you put crown molding on one little cabinet like that, or would that look weird?

Or put some glass other than clear in the little doors? Mullioned? Stained? Colored?

I'm also tempted to remove those cabinets altogether and get one of those cool chimney-esque range hoods. I've seen some low-end versions on clearance occasionally for under $300, which I might be able to scrounge up over the year. However, the kitchen guy at my local Big Box told me that those hoods need extensive (close to $700) ductwork and rewiring, that I can't just pop out my current hood and hook up the chimney kind. Is this true?

I also love those cabinets with the arched bottom that hide the hood completely, like jnjmom just posted, but another Big Box Kitchen salesperson told me a cabinet like that would run me about $1000. I have pretty low-end cabinets which I'd be trying to approximate, so I find that really hard to believe!

Any suggestions welcome!!

Here is a link that might be useful: photo of my stove wall

Comments (5)