SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sjca

Painting Mildewed Bathroom

15 years ago

I have read most of the previous posts pertaining to this and find myself rather confused, as I've only painted a time or two. I'm sorry that I'm asking repetitive questions, but am hoping someone with a little extra time might be able to help me.

I don't have a fan in the bathroom (which isn't going to change right now,) but do have a good-sized window. The main user of this room is the 16-year-old who takes long showers and sometimes forgets to open the window. I painted the walls a few years ago with cheap paint, which is now cracking and beginning to peel at the ceiling. Ok, here come the questions:

1. Can I sand the peeling spots without scraping? If yes, even where the ceiling and wall meet?

2. Can anyone give me a good formula for something to clean the walls and ceiling with, that will clean the mildew/mold and take away the "structure" so new spots aren't as likely to form--I read that somewhere but can't remember where! I think I read something about such a formula too but silly me, I didn't write it down.

3. Do I need to use primer on the whole thing or just where I've scraped and sanded? I previously used acrylic on the walls and assume the ceiling is acrylic also. It sounds like Zinsser is a what would make sense--is this a primer?

4. I'm really confused about which paint to use. I see Behr gets a thumbs-down from most and I don't care so much whether I get the perfect color, so I don't think I need the very high end paints. BM? SW? I think I understood that one of these stores offers a new-ish paint that is used in bathrooms?

Maybe I'm overthinking everything, but I'm a newbie at paining and don't want to have to paint this room for awhile! Thanks for anything you can offer.

Comments (14)