SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
avesmor_gw

Can a decorative object w/ heavy context be just an object?

avesmor
12 years ago

First - please please don't see this as incendiary. I know it can be a hot button topic, but it doesn't have to be and I really, really am asking this from a place of curiosity (and perhaps etiquette) -- and I'm trusting we can all treat it as such. I will tell "my" story but the only reason I'm using "me" is for the relevance. Treat it as a topic objectively tossed out for conversation.

Neither DH nor I are religious people. A dear friend of mine, also not religious, is a hobby metalworker. For my birthday she sent me two crosses intended to be hung sideways, slighty overlapping each other, as a study in shape. She knows crosses have symbolism, but her intention was in no way a religious statement: she just thinks the crosses are a neat shape to work with. Yes they have religious significance, but they're also a shape (her explanation).

My parents (aware of my non-religiousness) saw them and mom asked, "You're not going to hang those are you?" I asked her why and she said, "You aren't religious. A cross cannot be just a decoration." She is unable to see it removed from its religious context. She also thought it would be fundamentally offensive for me, in particular, to have it hanging. I told her I was thinking about putting them up because as art for art's sake; they were beautiful. We then got into a lengthy discussion about this and never did come to a mutual understanding but we did have an interesting conversation.

I sometimes see objects on people or in their environments that don't quite seem to match up. Largely I assume it's because they don't understand the significance or symbolism of the item, or don't care - because they like the item, and don't even think twice about the context. E.g. when I moved from CA to MO back in the 90s I was surprised to see people who were very open about their anti-homosexual sentiments wearing freedom rings. I asked one of them about it and she said, "What's a freedom ring? I like rainbows." Also e.g. - I see Kokopellis all over the place, but the owners are certainly not Hopi, and most probably don't know that the shape has significance.

In decor, can an item be just an item?

Comments (6)