SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
catroddick

Trying to find Cabinet Paint

Catherine Roddick
11 years ago

I apparently live in paint hell. OK- IâÂÂm likely exaggerating, but it doesnâÂÂt really feel like it right now. Northern California, north east of Sacramento. I have the big box stores. I have a few Ace Hardwares that have some Benjamin Moore paints. I have Kelly Moore.

I went to my Ace Hardware and asked about painting cabinets- I asked about Advance and got a blank stare. I asked about Aura vs. Satin Impervo, and somehow the guy leaped into a discussion of how great Natura is for babyâÂÂs room (who said anything about a baby? IâÂÂm painting cabinets here!!!!!). After I walked out of the store I remembered that you all discussed AceâÂÂs door and trim paint, but since the guy couldnâÂÂt bother to mention it when he was talking at me, I couldnâÂÂt be drawn back in to see if they had it.

I went to Kelly Moore and the guy couldnâÂÂt even walk around the counter in the empty store, just mumbled something about âÂÂDura PoxyâÂÂ, which I could not even find in the store.

So IâÂÂm here to ask you all for help- because it is not forthcoming in my town.

IâÂÂm painting over 2004 builder grade oak cabinets. IâÂÂm good with them looking like painted wood cabinets. IâÂÂll scrub, sand, prime, sand, (prime again, sand again?) and then paint. I donâÂÂt need to completely hide all signs of wood grain, and a little sign of brush strokes do not bother me. IâÂÂm going creamy white- a soft, rich, simple white like whipping cream makes me happy. I will be brushing all the boxes and cabinets, and the ability to touch up in the future is very important to me (though I donâÂÂt want to need to do it all the time).

I am by no means a professional. I do have a twisted love affair with paint, though I fear this project may just knock that out of me.

Apparently I canâÂÂt get Cabinet Coat in CA, unless I drive 2 hours to Reno and sneak it back into the state (yes, IâÂÂve thought about it). Should I be able to find BM Advance here in CA, and just have not had luck yet?

I just found that I do have Sherwin Williams in town, but IâÂÂm deflated. So unless you tell me there is an amazing paint there for me to check out, IâÂÂm not interested. Or is it worth going back to Kelly Moore and making that guy sell me paint? (Not a fan of this idea).

I do have the option of picking up Aura at my local Ace, or driving a half an hour to the store that carries BM Satin Impervo. Thoughts on these two?

And primers- I saw that Ace has both Zinsser and BM Fresh Start. A few threads here have me leaning towards Fresh Start- though I need to figure out which one to use.

I have seen a few threads mention that the newer Behr Ultra has been satisfactory. IâÂÂve rolled A LOT of Ultra on my walls at home, and have been very happy with it. If itâÂÂs truly up to cabinets, IâÂÂll try it. But IâÂÂm really not...

Comments (15)