SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
iwillnotfearthestorm

Rebuilding after Tornado- Feedback on Kitchen Plan?

Hi, we lost our home in a tornado in November and are doing a complete rebuild. Most of our floor plan will be the same as before, except for moving the laundry upstairs and enclosing some unused porch space. The home building forum sent me over here to get some of your expert input and advice on our kitchen layout (you guys come HIGHLY recommended! :)). The kitchen is similar to how it was before, but the island is turned 90 degrees (we used to have a smaller, shorter island with 2 seats with their backs toward the eating area) and the microwave is in a cabinet by the pantry. (It was over the range, then broke, and we put the new one on the countertop to open the area over the range. I'm tall, hubby's short, and we both cook. I liked the extra openness but hated the microwave taking up counter space). I'm wondering if we could somehow fit 4 seats around the island? Also, we're thinking about moving the microwave to an over-the-range model so it's closer to our main workspaces and so we won't have to deal with fitting the cabinet if we need to replace it at some point. What should I be thinking about to decide microwave placement? If we moved it back over the stove, we'd likely extend the pantry to fill in that space. I'd love to hear your thoughts on the kitchen in general, as well as specifics on the island and microwave. We were not planning on building, so we're coming at this with LOTS to learn! Thanks so much for your help!

Comments (22)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville