SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pete978

Looking for Stain/Paint Advice for T1-11 for Shed

pete978
16 years ago

I am building a shed this spring. It is a budget project, so T1-11 will be the siding. I am currently considering translucent stain, solid stain, and paint. In terms of looks, I prefer the solid stain or paint appearance (this is not cedar T&G here). However, my main concern is durability and mold resistance of the finish.

As a side note, our house is rough sawn clapboards and was professionally painted 4 years ago with a yellow tint of P&L Accolade solid stain (one coat primer, two coats stain, after pressure washing and drying for one week). It looked beautiful, but has faded a lot (full sun, especially in winter when the leaves are gone) and started growing mold within a year or two (on the sunny side of house - stain obviously breaking down quickly on that side of the house). Is this because stain is more susceptible to this? There is no peeling or flaking.

The siding on the shed (T1-11) will have a rough texture, so I was leaning toward stain....but would paint more durable? I really don't want to deal with peeling (suggests stain), nor excessive mold.

I was thinking about a solid color stain (maybe Sikkens) that will hide mold well by its color (medium to dark tone - browns, blues, or greens). Is there a better way?

Thanks,

Pete

Comments (8)