SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thndersnow

completed 'white' kitchen

thndersnow
13 years ago

It's not as glamorous as some of the large, luxury kitchens on here (I'll admit it's a bit intimidating to post!), but here is our completed small 11x12 DIY kitchen in our 1938 house. We gutted the entire thing. Total cost was roughly $10k. It took a very long year, but we are finally done!

Fridge - GE Profile - Craigslist

OTR Microwave - GE Profile - Craigslist

Range - Frigidaire Dual Fuel - Craigslist

Dishwasher - GE - GE store online

Cabinets - stock from HD (I know, shame on us...)

Cabinet Hardware - ebay store The Knob Shop

Countertops - Granite Santa Cecilia - Lowes

Sink - Pegasus Chocolate Granite - HD

Faucet - Price Pfister Ashfield - eBay

Flooring - Porcelain tile - HD

Paint - BM Cinnamon Slate soffit and Valspar Lemon Pearl

Center light fixture - Minka Lavery Spazio Three Light Pendant - csnlighting.com clearance center website

Chandelier - Minka Lavery Mini Chandelier in Castlewood Walnut - csnlighting.com clearance center website

Island Cart - from Craigslist... the top on it COMPLETELY clashes with the Santa Cecelia, it's some type of quartz I think with pinkish tones, but for now it will have to do.

BEFORE:

From Progress

AFTER:

From completion
From completion
From completion

Comments (45)

• brianadarnell
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

You shouldn't be intimidated to post this kitchen- it is beautiful! A years worth of work can now finally be enjoyed! Fabulous!

• ellendi
    13 years ago

Great kitchen. (And, yours is larger than mine!)The island doesn't look like it clashes in the photos. Just goes to show you that there are beautiful kitchens out there, no matter what the price. Enjoy!

• Related Discussions

too much contrast?

Q

Comments (7)
    I have white cabinets with marble counters and a cherry island with a black top. It works. Lots of combinations do. What I would be concerned with in yours is that a harsh black might be too much for a sage green. I'd like something like a peacock, uba tuba or something with some green tones and a bit of life -- but not too much or it will fight with the perimeter counter. That's one of the reasons you see black/white combinations, butcher block mixed with granite, but not two different granites as much. It can be tricky to pull off combinations in natural stone patterns.
    ...See More

Can I use the same shade on cabinets&walls?

Q

Comments (0)
    I am envisioning a complete white kitchen with a burst of red on one strip of the wall. I painted my kitchen walls with BM's cloud white last year. Now I am considering SW's divine white on the cabinets and I am wondering about the creaminess or other color tinges in this shade. Maybe I should play it safe by using the same color I used on the wall and have SW color match it. My question is will painting the cabinets the same shade as my walls really bring an exact match. I want an exact match. Will painting wood as opposed to wall bring difference in color.? Thanks for any input.
    ...See More

white Kitchen Redo began May 17th, nearing completion

Q

Comments (6)
    Very pretty -- I especially like your backsplash and your faucet! The combination of the classic white cabinets with the more traditional beadboard doors under the sink, and the more "modern" drawers and backsplash, is really elegant. Can I ask which refrigerator you got, or should I just go digging in the blog archives? We are sticking with our white fridge for now (it's only 3 years old) but I want to keep my eye on what people like in case a good sale comes along... It sounds like you're really happy with the way everything is functioning, so far. Enjoy!
    ...See More

Calling white kitchen owners for ideas of wall colors

Q

Comments (28)
    I realized my biggest problem was that I imagined I could put either a strong turquoise ceramic tile or paint in my kitchen. It just didn't flow when it came to other rooms. I have a smaller home with many adjoining rooms, and it is not on the water. It was just too bold to carry off unless I wanted bold colors outside the kitchen as well and I want warmth outside the kitchen. It really has helped me to have the feedback from so many of you. Boxerpups, I feel lucky, because your pictures are always beautiful and inspirational. There are so many on the GW who share their heartfelt thoughts and ideas, I am really touched. And some amazing homes that truely look like dreams come true. I decided to take a break and try to share a bit more of my progression. Two years ago we began our kitchen remodel. It was stressful. Once we had everyting installed, we stopped at decorating. We haven't even painted around the window frame! The first pics of the old kitchen are for real! The only counter space was in the right corner where I kept my toaster and microwave, I think. I kept a dish rack between the range and sink. No vent. The small window near the range used to be the back door to the house. A neighbor once said that you could always tell when it was Thanksgiving, because people ran around the houses to get to the other side of the table! I am leaning towards the lightest paint colors... a cream and a faint blue/gray. It is just too difficult to start with paint, when I do not have any furniture or carpets to match with a color. If the paint does not work later, it can always be changed. For now, we at least need a finished look and some repairs to both the floor and the walls. I have to purchase the paint by 9 am Monday. Wish me luck! Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen before/after and inspiration
    ...See More
  • Angela
    13 years ago

It's awesome! And it looks waaay more expensive than $10k. Love the chandelier above the sink. What a HUGE improvement!

• bostonpam
    13 years ago

Wow - what a transformation. It looks like you got rid of that popcorn ceiling too. Everything looks well together (on my monitor the island goes with the rest of the kitchen). You did a great job - enjoy!

• joyjoyjoy
    13 years ago

It's gorgeous! Budgets help us get creative.. if you had more money to spend, it might not have turned out as unique and lovely. At least that is what I'm telling myself! :)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    13 years ago

It looks beautiful, anyone would be proud of it. And terrific value.

• stacieann63
    13 years ago

Wow! It's beautiful! Now, I'm gonna be intimidated to post my small budget redo! It really looks lovely. Congratulations

• oldhouse1
    13 years ago

I think your kitchen is absolutely beautiful. I love your lighting fixtures and paint color. It does not look budget or DIY. You did a fabulous job, now relax and enjoy!

• mythreesonsnc
    13 years ago

It looks wonderful! I especially love your backsplash and your granite. Congrats!

• shelayne
    13 years ago

Why on EARTH would you be hestitant to post this beautiful kitchen? Silly! ;^)

IT IS WONDERFUL!

I love your lighting fixtures--they look so good in your space, and that mini chandy over the sink oozes elegance. How wonderful that you were able to get this gorgeous kitchen at such an amazing cost! Way to SHOP!

I cannot tell at all from the photos that the island cart top clashes with your granite.

Congratulations on this obvious labor of love. It is smashing! Now enJOY it! :^)

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    13 years ago

It's lovely, and my favorite things are the light fixtures -- they look like jewelry. Big bang in a little space, well done!

Becky

• scootermom
    13 years ago

I love it! Everything looks so new and fresh. Great lighting. The decor looks bright and inviting, yet calm and restful, all at once. You did great work, no matter how long it took!

• kristinekr
    13 years ago

I love it! Especially the light fixture over the sink and the tile. What color grout did you use? So far, does it seem like the tile and grout will be hard to maintain?

• laxsupermom
    13 years ago

Beautiful transformation! Even more impressive when you consider the tight budget! Love the lighting! Absolutely gorgeous! Enjoy your beautiful new kitchen.

• malhgold
    13 years ago

I think it looks fabulous! You did a great job, on a tight budget. You should be very proud. I love the light fixture. Adds just the right amount of pizazz! Congratulations and enjoy!!!

• thndersnow
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow, thanks for all of the compliments!

Yes, I completely agree about the lighting, I didn't think they would make such a difference but we just installed them yesterday and it just really puts the final touch on it. :)

I guess the island color looks worse in real life... I should thank my camera, then!

Kristinekr - we used white subway tile from Lowes. We also used the Bright White grout from Lowes. It hasn't discolored yet.. I do find that the tiles look pinkish though, as other people have said, just FYI.

I'm not sure if people can view the album, but I have a few more pics..

From completion

Magnetic Dry Erase board...

From completion
    From completion

• jtkaybean
    13 years ago

WOW! It is so beautiful and very impressive that you got your kitchen done for 10K!!

I love it!

• blonde1125
    13 years ago

Very lovely! You should not be intimidated at all to post after all your hard work! You did a great job! Love the chandy over the sink - I have the same one.
    Enjoy your new kitchen!

• bh401
    13 years ago

Very nice. You did an awesome job!
    ditto blonde1125! I think the lighting is a super POP!;)
    You should be proud to show off your work of art. We thank you for sharing:)

• burghmom
    13 years ago

You did a beautiful job! I have to say that the lighting is my favorite--jewelry for sure:-) Congrats on all of your hard work--I hope you enjoy your kitchen for years to come! Bon Appetit!

• xand83
    13 years ago

Great job! I like your new cabinets, but I LOVED your old cabinets! I'm sure there is a reason why you ditched them though. I'm betting the old ones weren't too functional. Good choices and bravo on the execution! DIY is tough, but it's super rewarding!

• beachpea3
    13 years ago

Oh your new kitchen is absolutely lovely! AND you did it yourselves...very impressive!!! You all deserve all the congratulations you are getting here!

• ironcook
    13 years ago

wow, beautiful job. no shame AT ALL because it looks great!

you shopped very wisely, and knew how to pull it all together. your choices are wonderful. you should be very proud and happy!

glad you shared this, and i hope you'll be very happy in your new kitchen. :)

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

Were you just incredibly lucky in your bargain shopping or did you make subsequent decisions based on what you found while bargain shopping?

Impressive job, thndrsnow. Only you are worried about matching the countertops, not me. Do you roll the cart about or does it stay put? I really appreciate examples of cart usage.

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Stunning!!!!!

I love the cool white cabinetry warmed by the rich patterned
    Santa Ceci granite counters that go perfectly with the Minka
    lighting and the matching warmth of the porcelain tile
    floor. The combination of lemon pearl and cinnamon slate
    are a beautiful surprise. Your kitchen is graceful and
    well-designed with a bit of pizzazz that warms the heart.
    You created a wonderful transformation. I would never know
    you found such treasures as the cart, the good quality
    cabinets and the E-bay hardware. You should be beaming with
    pride as this is a glorious kitchen.

Lastly I must tell you, your kitchen is larger than mine.
    I love kitchens with flavor and yours is it!
    ~boxer

• kaysd
    13 years ago

You did a great job of transforming your kitchen. I love your center light fixture - it looks very high end and stylish.

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

Nice looking kitchen!

• cindaintx
    13 years ago

Like so many others, I love your kitchen. The lights are the "jewelry" for the room.
    The one thing that I find like a "light-bulb" idea is your magnetic dry-erase board at the end of the cabinet run. It's easy to have a magazine-pretty kitchen. It's hard to have a magazine-pretty kitchen that works for a family. Having a message center is important, and you found a great place and a novel way to do it.

• ae2ga
    13 years ago

I really like it - the light in the kitchen is beautiful! You should be extremely proud of yourself for creating such a wonderful space.

• worldmom
    13 years ago

It's gorgeous and you deserve an award for doing so much with your budget! I absolutely adore your sink corner. Those windows are wonderful! And your drum pendant is downright yummy. Great job!

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

Stunning space! The kitchen I see on my monitor does not look budget at all! You've picked very timeless colors and material. You have a keen eye for detail and a bargain to have gotten all that for a small budget. I can't decide if my fav part is the lighting or the genius dry erase at the end of the upper. Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful kitchen. You'll have years of fret fun in there!

• bellacucina
    13 years ago

I love all of your choices! Great taste, and so rewarding to DIY -- Congratulations on a fabulous job!! Your lighting is the perfect bling, your mag/white board is a great idea on that end cab. Your paint color is so dramatic and gorgeouslly complements your granite and orb. Lovely!

• dianalo
    13 years ago

I think it is fabulous. Your old kitchen was not so awful, but the knob placement would have annoyed me.
    Your new kitchen is so much nicer. The lighting is lovely and your other choices are warm and pretty.

• caryscott
    13 years ago

Lots to admire. I hope the person who was wondering if a soffit is ever Ok sees your kitchen - the soffit looks smaller than in the old kitchen but with the way you treated it with the darker paint looks great and is a real asset to your design. Good design can happen at a variety of price points - you shouldn't be intimidated you got fantastic value for your budget and terrific aesthetic impact, period (no qualifiers).

I don't like it more but I must confess I really like your old kitchen as well.

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

Congratulations! Totally classic! Enjoy the new kitchen. I think it looks fabulous. Love the light fixture!

• Happyladi
    13 years ago

I think it looks great!

• nini804
    13 years ago

How beautiful! Congrats to you! I love your light fixtures. I know you are enjoying your gorgeous new kitchen.

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

What a wonderful and inviting kitchen! I also liked your old cabs but obviously the layout was poor. Your kitchen is now highly functional and beautiful, too! I love your corner windows, the paint, and lighting (soooo pretty)! Did you make your message board or was it that size when you bought it? And you did it all yourself! You and DH should be bursting with pride! Enjoy!

• kitchenaddict
    13 years ago

hi thnder...

I wasn't expecting to see such a beautiful kitchen..And DIY?? for 10K?? You should be extremely proud of yourself. I'm quite jealous that I don't have your talents...

KA:)

• thndersnow
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks so much again for the compliments, and I should have said this in my original post, but many thanks for all the help I have received from this board during the renovation as well.

To Florantha's question: "Were you just incredibly lucky in your bargain shopping or did you make subsequent decisions based on what you found while bargain shopping?" - I am a huge bargain shopper and will sit all day at the computer until I find the best deal haha. With the Craigslist finds, I think some or maybe most of it was luck, but I usually had to "work" for it by constantly checking and waiting a long time for the items I wanted to appear. None of my appliances are high-end and only my dishwasher is new though. I didn't have exact requirements for the appliances, just stainless. Those items are competitive on Craigslist, at least where I live, so you had to respond within a few minutes of a posting or else you probably lost to someone else. Dishwashers seemed especially popular, and I could never get one that I wanted, so in the end we decided to purchase that new. With my range, I think the owners knew something was about to go wrong, because within a few months after we used it (before the reno), we had to replace the electrical cord. Thank goodness it was only $20 or so.

To Florantha's question: "Do you roll the cart about or does it stay put?" - Since our kitchen is small, the cart works well for us. I use it when cooking, but we definitely move it around often, especially when carrying things in and out of the kitchen since it leads to the back porch.

With the lighting, I also had to wait and check every single day for something to appear on the CSN lighting clearance site. For those that don't know, these are return items to the CSN store that they sell at a heavy discount, usually 50% off or more. I had a dream light that I saw at a local store, but just couldn't shell out full price for it, so I waited for any sort of inspiration on the CSN site, and that ultimately lead me to the fixtures I purchased. The nicer things don't stick around very long on that site though, I remember having something in my cart once and it disappeared before I got to checkout. The website is: http://www.csnlighting.com/asp/public/static/customerservice/return_sales_items.asp?clid=177

With our cabinets, we purchased them when HD had the 20% off all stock cabinets, plus we were able to use the Lowes 10% movers coupon on top of that (varies by cashier). This coupon is available in the mover's packet at the post office, or you could sign up for it online (and print it multiple times to use at HD since they accept competitor's coupons). I think if I had extra money to spare, I would definitely have upgraded the cabinets.. as most people were saying to do. With everything else we purchased from Lowes or HD, we planned out our purchases ahead of time so we could use the 10% coupon.

To flwrs n co's question: Did you make your message board or was it that size when you bought it?
    For the message board, we cut a piece of sheet metal to size, and glued it to the end of the cabinet. Then we purchased a self-stick roll of dry erase sheet, cut it to size, and stuck it on top of the sheet metal.

And finally, to the comments about my old kitchen, the picture probably doesn't make it seem that bad, but it really was! The cabinets were very much peeling and they had an old smell to them. I also don't think they could have been removed and refinished without damaging them because they were so old.. I do think they are more solid than my HD stock cabinets, but at the end of the day, they weren't laid out in the size that we needed, especially since we installed a dishwasher. Which brings us to the dishwasher, which you could see in the "before" picture sitting in the front left. We were originally going to install one when moving into the house because we had inherited it from my in-laws, but decided to wait until we did a full reno. We attached a piece of plywood to the top of it, of which I put contact paper on to look better and it just sat there as storage space for a couple of years - the black plastic covered side exposed and everything. The flooring was one giant piece of laminate that was peeling on the edges, the laminate countertop had green and blue swirls on it. There were pieces of backsplash missing on the walls and large holes drilled into them from the previous owners. The list goes on.. LOL. We did raise the ceiling a few inches and got rid of the popcorn ceiling. And, we did raise the soffit, as someone mentioned and knocked out the soffit on the one side. We couldn't get rid of it on the sink wall, though, unless we did some major structural change.

I just blabbed on and on... haha.. Hopefully some of the above will help someone out. I would be happy to answer any other questions!

• thndersnow
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I certainly do not want to mislead anyone, so perhaps some would find this useful. :)

$700 - Fridge - GE Profile - Craigslist
    $300 - OTR Microwave - GE Profile - Craigslist
    $450 - Range - Frigidaire Dual Fuel - Craigslist
    $550 - Dishwasher - GE - GE store online
    $1500 - Cabinets - stock from HD (I know, shame on us...)
    $50 - Cabinet Hardware - ebay store The Knob Shop
    $2500 - Countertops - Granite Santa Cecilia - Lowes
    $265 - Sink - Pegasus Chocolate Granite - HD
    $103 - Faucet - Price Pfister Ashfield - eBay
    $750 - Flooring - Porcelain tile - HD - $750 (includes material, thinset, grout, tools, etc.)
    $75 - Paint - BM Cinnamon Slate soffit and Valspar Lemon Pearl
    $112 - Center light fixture - Minka Lavery Spazio Three Light Pendant - csnlighting.com clearance center website
    $37 - Chandelier - Minka Lavery Mini Chandelier in Castlewood Walnut - csnlighting.com clearance center website
    $85 Island Cart - Craiglist
    $250 - Center lights and undercabinet lighting - eBay
    $100 - Backsplash - HD
    $2500 give or take - Other (drywall, asbestos removal, insulation, other tools, misc.)

We paid $230 for a guy to help us with mudding the drywall, but otherwise, labor cost was zero.

As you can see, we saved the most on the cabinets, but again, they are stock cabinets from HD. I probably would have gone a different route, but the other fact is that we don't plan to live here for more than 5 additional years.

• never_ending
    13 years ago

Yes totally shame on you for designing an absolutely stunning kitchen!!! You have a beautiful eye, and some beautiful bargains. Money is only one component to a beautiful kitchen. If you don't have an eye for design, it doesn't matter how much $$$ you have to spend. Terrific job.

• young-gardener
    13 years ago

Shame on you?? Are you kidding!? There is nothing wrong wtih buying stock cabinets, especially considering your long range plans. You are SMART to stick to a budget and make hard choices.

You've inspired me! We are getting ready to do a kitchen of a very similar size and age, and this makes me so excited. Your kitchen is gorgeous, and you should be PROUD to post it!! I get more excited over kitchens in this price range than those I know I could never incorporate into my home due to the huge pricetags, so I really appreciate that you shared yours! :) ENJOY IT!

• gsciencechick
    13 years ago

Love it! Wow, you did an awesome job. The light fixtures are just perfect.

• sue_b
    13 years ago

Your kitchen and the detail on your sources and how you lurked on Craigslist are a true inspiration. I know time is money but look at how much you saved by spending the shopping/research time on the bargains you found. I hope you don't mind but I may link to your post for future Kitchen Forum posters looking for money saving tips. Congratulations and thank you.