SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lindybarts_gw

Great Room Coffee Table came...Whoa....

lindybarts
16 years ago

For those that have been following my Great Room Decor saga, I received my delivery of the coffee table, end table and console today. WOW...it's pretty but it's HUGE! Maybe my eyes just need to adjust after having so much open space before. I know I needed something substantial in size to fill it up, but this furniture is made for giants. LOL! I'm going to give it a few days to see if I like it. Plus, I need to accessorize too. I would like to bring in more jewel tones (especially red) on the tables as well as my fireplace mantle. Maybe some more candles, adding some lamps...I don't know. Any ideas to help soften all the brown, please chime in. P.S. Is there an art to placing a throw blanket on a couch? It never looks right to me.

Comments (45)

• terezosa / terriks
    16 years ago

I'm sure that it looks huge to you because you are used to the empty space, but to my eyes the size is just right. The purpose of a coffee table is for the people sitting on the sofa and loveseat to have a place to set a glass, and if the table was smaller it would be too far away.

• IdaClaire
    16 years ago

I think it's perfect too. It unifies your seating arrangement with just the right amount of presence. Very pretty room.

• Related Discussions

Coffee Table/End Tables for Living Room

Q

Comments (5)
    I love your living room, lots of beautiful and interesting choices. Here are some pieces I like for your room http://www.roomandboard.com/catalog/living/end-tables/wilder-end-table http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Zuo-Park-West-Table-Coffee-Table-or-End-Table/9514656/product.html?recset=5e03d613-3102-4b66-a658-f2699e2b4bf9&refccid=5MSISH5W4UQ36M2ILDNEJDE5XM&recalg=870,839&recidx=3 http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Convenience-Concepts-Oslo-Nesting-End-Table-Set/12070797/product.html?recset=5e03d613-3102-4b66-a658-f2699e2b4bf9&refccid=5MSISH5W4UQ36M2ILDNEJDE5XM&recalg=870,839&recidx=18 http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Sculpture-Hardwood-Coffee-Table/10045903/product.html?refccid=D3PWHYUCR2KLMGSLM6WPMK2WGA&searchidx=53 http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/angelo-HOME-Allen-Coffee-and-End-Table/11706623/product.html?recset=78231abb-e5cb-4648-9bd5-74bb1b6c3b4a&refccid=UKMQ2W74W4LIRPKDYPCZAAE5NY&recalg=870,839&recidx=6 http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Allure-Modern-Arch-Legged-Cocktail-Table/8029228/product.html?recset=57657eda-7846-4682-b3f1-b7dff969dfe1&refccid=364K5MTXMB4KW5CIW3YU57H26Q&recalg=870,839&recidx=2
    ...See More

Coffee table, marble top with steel legs or glass coffee table silver

Q

Comments (4)
    I like the 4 tables they can be moved when you have a party and that space needs a large table so they work nicely > IMO the layout of the space is a bit odd since the seats facing the TV do not look comfy for TV watching but maybe the TV is not important to you.
    ...See More

What does my living room need (and what color coffee table is best?)

Q

Comments (7)
    I think the room looks nice. And I really like the blue paint color you chose but it doesn't complement the FP. I would get an oval glass & brass coffee table. I would put the cabinet the TV is sitting on the wall where the pine cabinet is and get a TV stand that is at least 25% wider than the TV and a bit lower. It would fill the wall better. I would get it closer to the brown of the FP. I would prefer art over the FP because the mirror is reflecting anything worth seeking twice. If you move that tv cabinet, you could then hang the mirror over it and it would reflect the art over the FP. I think the chair would be better where the plant is now.
    ...See More

Living room coffee table and table lamp advice

Q

Comments (30)
    This room would be greatly improved by a colored rug. Here are some examples. To many rectangles and squares in this room. I would move the ottoman to the near side of the sofa and for coffee table I would do a round table, either a single round table or two round tables next to each other, usually one is higher than the other. If going with a Persian rug or Caucasus rug as shown above, some people like to use glass-topped table to show the pattern of the rug below. Here are some coffee table ideas- Here is a similar one with some glitz- The one below comes in different wood finishes This is a modern rug on Houzz from Mohawk Home, but the colors are just perfect.
    ...See More
  • dgmarie
    16 years ago

I think you just aren't used to it. I like it a lot.

Is your floor capreted? For some reason I thought you had wood floors?

Stick a little froo fro silk greenery there in a pretty pot and it will look divine!

• chicoryflower
    16 years ago

Swank digs, Lindy!

Check out the gorgeous stuff on this link. It's Turkish brass and copper... there's even a sort of Bohemian tea set with ruby cups.

You could put ornate brass candle pillars with red candles, copper or brass pots with apples or beaded fruit or decorative balls.

Here is a link that might be useful: Yurdan

• parma42
    16 years ago

I have a very large square coffee table. Thought it was pretty big at first but couldn't live without it now. We just made sure there was a path for the vacuum and it's the most used piece of furniture we own.

Don't know if you have to "soften" the brown as much as lighten it up a bit. You've already started with the light gold pillows. There are lots of good colors in the rug to pluck out and use as accent colors. Can't see the brick that well but it might be another source.

I love throws on my furniture but have stopped trying with my one piece of leather. Just keeps slipping down(but then so do I) Guess I haven't figured out the art of sitting on leather.

• lindybarts
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh Thank you! I am starting to get used to it. With the exception of the sofa table. It's about 4 inches too high behind that couch. Maybe I could cut the legs down a tad??

Chicory...great link. Thanks! I love all the coppery stuff.

dgmarie, I have hardwood in the adjoining kitchen, hall and dining room. The Great room is carpeted and then I added the area rug to anchor all the furniture.

LOL parma! Slippery stuff that leather, isnt' it? Here's a quick pic of the fireplace. The stone is brown and gold. I'd like to replace that ugly silk plant with something red. Maybe even a leaning picture?? And then change out these candles to red.

• paddytc
    16 years ago

Lindybarts, love your tables. Your house is beautiful. Sorry no help with the throws.

• DLM2000-GW
    16 years ago

I don't have a problem with the size or depth of color but it does seem 'heavy' to me. Something the same size but with chunky legs that allow a view of the rug beneath would stil feel in keeping with the mass of the leather pieces without being quite as bulky - like a shorter version of the legs on the side table. I don't think its terrible but I do think you have a LOT of mass going on there!

As for the tossing a throw on a couch, I have 2 methods. On some, I do like it folded in a rectangle and placed over an arm so that it hangs a bit above the floor - might be a good look with your leather. The other method you need to get your 'fling' in motion! Open the throw, grab a fist full of it somewhat off center on the long dimension but centered on the short dimension, shake it then fling it on an angle over the back. May not work with your leather though - the throw needs to 'grab' the fabric of the sofa to look right. It's all about making it look like it just happens that way - you know.... staging nonchalance ;-)

• johnmari
    16 years ago

I know this isn't QUITE what you asked but I think the coffee table itself is fine given the distance you prefer to have between the seating pieces, but the console table is too big (tall and the legs are too massy) for the couch and the end table is awfully large as well. I think it's the three pieces together that sort of clobber you over the head with the sense of hugeness. :-) Would you be willing to consider returning the console and end tables and keeping the coffee table? Perhaps replace the end table with something round or oval and a little bit lower, maybe something not-wood and a little more open, like a wrought iron base and a stone top? Someone had posted a picture of their urn-shaped copper table here recently (a post about lamps, maybe?), something like that would look terrific. Ditto for the console table, it needs to be a bit lighter to balance all the heavy-heavy. If you want the look of glass-topped tables without the breakability, you can replace the glass with a piece of acrylic or polycarbonate (Lexan) - it is available up to 1/2" thick (thicker can usually be ordered) through most glass companies and can be custom cut to the size you need. Some companies can even put on special edges like an ogee or bullnose, most can polish the edge so that it's completely clear instead of the normal frosted look.

Would you consider changing out a couple of your pillows for something in a pattern with some red in it?

I think instead of the usual semi-predictable group of candles, tchotchke on a stack of books, or basket/tray of whatever on the coffee table, it might be worth looking for an interesting piece of sculpture or some kind of three-dimensional artwork. Something that really grabs you down at the gut level instead of just being a space-taker-upper. A bronze piece if it's light in color; ceramic, glass (anchor it down with Quakehold against those kids!), carved wood (light color), stone or pseudostone. Novica.com has some really gorgeous things.

As for the "art of the throw", I can't really help you there. My stepmother was adamant about not having things draped over the furniture so I think throws just look a bit messy. :-) However, I do think if you use one, it should go over the back of one of the chairs instead of on the couch - you already have pillows on the couches, but there's nothing to fancy up the chairs any.

• msjay
    16 years ago

I love your tables! I think they are perfect!

• cinlo
    16 years ago

Those are beautiful tables! I'll be interested to see what red accessories you come up with as I'm trying to do the same with my leather furniture.

• powermuffin
    16 years ago

I agree with Johnmari. The coffee table is fine; the other two look out of scale with the (relatively) low backs of the furniture. Also you've got so much matching there that I would lighten the load by switching out the other two tables for something that looks lighter weight. Even though the tables are a different color than the furniture, over all they have the same value and make the grouping look too heavy, IMO.
    Diane

• wodka
    16 years ago

Re: your fireplace.....I have been having a problem finding the right accent pieces to go on my mantle. Similar to yours - only our fireplace is old brick, floor to ceiling (11 ft ceilings.) A friend of mine was in town last weekend and we went shopping and we found the perfect fit....a very large round mirror, border is black iron, with sections divided by burnished gold/copper looking leaves. I know it sounds strange, but it is a perfect fit and absolutely stunning.

I think if you found something really dramatic for your fireplace, it would also complement and balance out your coffee table, etc.

Whatever you do, it's a beautiful room!

• kats
    16 years ago

Lindy,
    I also like the table. It looks good. Don't worry, by next week you'll be loving it and just know it's the right one for your room.
    I like the link Chicoryflower posted. Might work nicely with your rug but then again you're still in that brown zone. I found this link if you like copper. They have some very nice items also.
    http://www.handhammeredcopper.com/copper_catalog.htm

I know exactly what you mean though about wanting to incorporate another brighter color into an all brown leather room. I have two red objects in mine (a 6' tall rooster and & an antique tricycle). And I would like to add some red tapestry pillows and a throw to the back of one of my leather couches. I've also set my sights and hope to get a red blown glass vase later this year from Kela's gallery (located in Kapaa, Kauai). Their glass is a step above other artistic glass I've ever seen. Though Kela's has maybe 30 artists they work with I especially like Michael Mortara's art. I've linked to his page on the Kela gallery website for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kela's Art Gallery- Kapaa, Kauai

• lyfia
    16 years ago

I like the table. Looks great. I'm sure you just need a little time to adjust to it. BTW are your chairs recliner's? If so who makes them if you don't mind me asking? We are trying to find one to fit my DH that doesn't look humoungous and yours look like the perfect scale and would fit a 6' guy.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

I like all the brown -- and I like the coffee table! It looks great :) I think the accessories will finish things off beautifully.

Your home is gorgeous, Lindy!

(P.S. I'd put the throw on the chair to the left, lol :)

• lindybarts
    Original Author
    16 years ago

paddy..thank you!

dlm2000, I know what you mean about the heavy feeling. We were afraid of that. But ultimately, we couldn't find one that we liked better. This one has so much of our style we decided to chance it. Maybe I can balance it out somehow with accessories. Thank you so much for the "throw blanket lessons" ;c)

Johnmari, yes I agree about the console table and end table. Dh are just discussing it right now. I have to find out if we can return just a portion of the order because they came as a set (Costco) I read your idea about a sculpture and just came back from Pier One with a cute copper, horse sculpture. My daughter and I love it...dh hates it. Maybe she'll convince him to keep it. LOL

Thanks powermuffin. We're thinking about returning just the console and end table.

wodka, great idea. I'll look around for some big mirrors. Where did you get yours? I'm also keeping my eye out for a nice picture with some rich jewel tones in it for the fireplace mantle.

Kats ..Thanks so much. You're speaking my language girl. We loved some of the glass art we saw in Hawaii last year too. Thanks for the links!

Lyfia, thanks! Those are non other than Barcaloungers. Dh is also a big guy. 6'3" and down to 215 lbs. (he lost 25 lbs since Christmas) He was the one who picked those out. He just melts into that chair every night. They are very comfortable.

Thanks Squirrel!!!!

• allison0704
    16 years ago

I might keep the coffee table if you can slide the sofas back off the rug to open up the room. I also agree with Johnmari, the console table is too tall for the sofa. I think the table between the chairs is also on the tall side. Do all three tables match? A more airy coffee table would open up the area - chairs and sofa already add a lot of weight to the room.

Yes, you need a large piece of artwork on your FP wall.

Are you enjoying your new home?

• gk5040
    16 years ago

I am going to suggest you rearrange the furniture. The sofa table is a bit tall, but I think you can work with it by moving the sofa with its high table to a different side. I am not sure of the room layout, but I think you need to hide the sofa table from view so it doesnt stand out as being too big. I think the placement now is too obvious. Can you move the sofa so it faces the fireplace or directly across from where it is? Second, I think the end table need to anchor with the couch and loveseat to make an "L" shape. The two other chairs need to be either opposite the couch (if you flip flop the couch position. I would place a skirted table between the two chairs. I love the coffee table. I agree that everything needs to back up a few spaces to give the big coffee table some room.

• kim2007
    16 years ago

chicoryflower: "...Check out the gorgeous stuff on this link. It's Turkish brass and copper... there's even a sort of Bohemian tea set with ruby cups...."

Hey, I love that link--I want some copper!
    And every home ought to have its own samovar, don't you think?!

• nys29
    16 years ago

I think your new furniture looks great! This reminds me of a funny story. I bought a new coffee table for the lroom, after months of having nothing in the space. Son came home from college and said "Who died? What's that coffin doing in the LR?" I fretted a while thinking it was too big--after a month or so it fit beautifully in its new home :) Now I tell my son to take his huge feet off the "coffin"...

• lionstail
    16 years ago

Gorgeous! I love the furniture!

Question - What type of lighting do you have in there?

Accessories is all you need and it will feel so much better in my opinion.

Maybe some small art work in frames or picture frames? Coasters? Silk flowers? A runner on the table?
    hope this helps!

• lindybarts
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Allison, yes we are loving the house and the neighborhood alot!!!

nys29...LOL...the "coffin table"

lionstail, thank you! The lighting is very minimal right now. We opted not to put the floor plugs in the floor until we decide where the furniture was going. Thank God we did that because we're still rearranging. There is one floor lamp in the corner right now and only one row of canned lights above the fireplace area. Will probably add a lamp to the end table and maybe a light on the sofa table if we keep it.

gk5040..I've rearranged many times and the problem is always that it looks good on paper but the TV viewing is usually compromised. I tried what you suggested though and it's possible it could work. The area behind where you suggest the sofa table is where the slider to the backyard is and it would make a very narrow walkway. But maybe doable????? I had to move everything over a bit but still there is only a foot or so behind the table and now the everything is off center from the fireplace. Still...I may make hubby move stuff. He'll love me!

• ladyamity
    16 years ago

Not a single Decor Gene within this bod so I can't give any input but just wanted to say...
    I love your room, love your fireplace, love your furniture!

Oh, if only I had a room that looked like yours *sigh*.

Beautiful things, beautiful setting.

• kats
    16 years ago

Lindybarts,
    Hope you don't mind an OT question......
    I was just looking at your first photo again. I was wondering if you might share a picture of your island counter chairs and where you got them? Do they swivel? And can you get them in tapestry? Yours are beautiful from what I can see.
    We're having a terrible time finding round swivel counter height chairs to match our wood island. We actually just received a 5 week long order of one chair. We thought it might work but the store didn't have one in stock to look at so we only ordered the one. It's now banished to DH's garage because the wood was way darker than we thought it would be. Yours look like they might work for us. My wood counter is the same color as my cabinets. Both are shown in this picture.

• kabergs
    16 years ago

Lindy, I think the coffee table looks great! You just need to get used to having something there and once you accessorize it it'll look wonderful.

Your house is beautiful!

• lindybarts
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Kats, the barstools are from JCPenney and are called Village Stools. Yes, they swivel but no, only one fabric. It's a gold color with little, burgundy dots. We loved the first 4 we got last summer and they are very comfortable. We just ordered a 5th one and for some reason the cushion is hard as a rock. They're manufactured by Hillsdale and I know other retailers carry that line. Maybe you could find out if they come in another fabric by contacting Hillsdale directly?? I've also seen them called "Salsberg Stools" on another website. Here's the Penney's site (I got mine on sale for $199) Penney's Village Stool

I've spent the morning pushing around furniture. Man, that coffee table is heavy. It's heavier than the couch. I tried gk5040's ideas and I think I really like it in the L-shape with the sofa table facing the kitchen now. It seems to work better although the table is still probably too large. I'm getting used to seeing it though and I think with accessories, it'll be fine. Costco said they won't take back just one table, it has to be the whole set. What do you think of the new arrangement? Johnmari, notice the new horse sculpture on the sofa table. I had it on the coffee table but dh was complaining about his TV view again...men...LOL!

wodka, notice the round mirror on the mantle. I borrowed it from the upstairs hall. Not quite right, but I do like the idea of a mirror OR back to the picture idea with something red in it. Also still searching for some red pillows.

Still working on the placement of the end table. I had it angled but didn't like it.

• no_green_thumb
    16 years ago

Lindy, love your room and your furniture. I know what you mean about the table looking too large. I am having a similar problem with drapes I just hung - thinking they are too high. I think it's just that you are not used to looking at it. Your room certainly looks large enough to handle a table that size. I love all of the leather. My family room will be my next project --- if I ever get my bedroom done!! It takes me a very long time to get used to something new!!!

• wodka
    16 years ago

Lindy - that was smart of you to try out the mirror - I agree, perhaps not the exact one, but it does give you an idea of how it pulls the room together.

What if you go for the "best of both worlds" - a mirror with reds in it - Horchow's website has some gorgeous ones, and some, believe it or not, not so pricey.

I bought my mirror at a local home decor and gifts shop. The receipt just has Mirror-Regency, #5814. I googled, but couldn't find anything. I'll have to take a picture of it and show you.

• johnatemp
    16 years ago

Lindy,
    I like the tables very much. Your room can definately handle them. I also like the 2nd arrangement. It looks great. Maybe you could have like a furniture medic cut off the bottom of the legs on the sofa table a little bit.

Have you tried the horse on the mantel? Seems like he has the right mass to really stand out up there.

Also, I think the rug should run the same direction as the sofa. I know, I know alot of moving around.

Lookin' good, girl.

Smiles:)

• lindybarts
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks again all...as of this five minutes, dh doesn't like his "Daddy chair" moved. He also doesn't like how the sofa table blocks the flow from the kitchen to the Great Room now. Okay...maybe back to the original placement?? Or I could try one more time to make it fit like the room layout drawing above. Furniture arranging is hard.

• kats
    16 years ago

Shame, I really like the new layout look. Tell your DH he can have steak and beer for a whole week (maybe two if he's really stubborn) so long as he agrees to let things stay as they are.

• graciesmom284
    16 years ago

i love your furniture. the table looks great. the console table does overpower the others, maybe there is another place for it? i like your area rug too. i agree you should change the way the rug runs. i can't wait to see it when your do your accessorizing and all the finishing touches! good luck!

• lyfia
    16 years ago

I think either arrangement is fine. Though now seeing the sofa table it does look very out of scale. Beautiful, but large. Would it be possible to put it elsewhere? Buffet in the dining room, entry, or breakfast area? Then find a smaller scale sofa table.

Thanks for the info on the chairs. I'd sent that chair to DH a while back to go look at so being able to tell him somebody's DH that is 6'3" is comfortable in it and sending him a location near his work to go and test sit made him finally agree to go and check it out.

• polkadots
    16 years ago

Lindy, the house is looking beautiful. If you want opinions...I like the new arrangement better. I like how the coffee table and end table are not lined up in the center (if that makes sense). DH may not agree, so may be a moot point! Like some of the others, I would really think about moving the sofa table to another spot. Maybe DH will like it better without the sofa table there. I really think it is just too big.

I like the way a round mirror looks on the mantle, nice to have that shape up there.

Just think of all the calories you are burning moving things around!! :) The room is going to be great!

• gk5040
    16 years ago

It looks great. I definately like the end table better next to the sofa instead of between the two chairs. I have a similar set up only my sofa table is not that tall. I have a lamp on the sofa table on the left side and another lamp on the end table to the right side. A skirted or smaller table will look nice between your two chairs. I might pull the loveseat closer to the end table. Is it possible to switch the tv to the other bookcase, I am assuming its not. We had a similar set up in our previous house and we had to switch the cable. Looks nice, I will try to post a picture of my set up.

• tinker_2006
    16 years ago

Everything looks great, and in all the furniture stores, these big coffee tables are on display. I like your new layout too, however, I tend to agree with the others that the sofa table (although beautiful) is too large and dominates the sofa. (I overheard the decorator in the furniture store, that the sofa should be the focal point).

I also really like your fireplace, and may end up doing something similar!

• mommyto4boys
    16 years ago

I love the new arrangement too, perhaps your dh can adjust to it in time. The tables look awesome and the coffee table is a great size in your room. I now know where the inspiration for our great room built ins came from.. They are yours! Hope you don't mind...I'll share pictures after they are installed. I have an amish man making everything for me. Your home is beautiful!!!

• paddytc
    16 years ago

Lindybarts, I love the new arrangement. It looks great. Now maybe a round accent table between the two chairs.. Maybe something bronze with glass top to bring out the nail heads trim in chairs.

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/family.aspx?c=982&f=14811

Had to recommend since I was just in CB ordering stools :) It is a beautiful table.

• annzgw
    16 years ago

I agree with others that the sofa table is too large.
    If DH doesn't want a table there, what about a couple of tall urns and a plant?

• gk5040
    16 years ago

Yeh, the sofa table is big, is it awful, no....can it work, maybe.......once the room is decorated it might not be so obvious that its BIG. Adding some greenry next to it, or baskets under it. Here is an idea, what about shorting the legs on the sofa table...cut them down....the bottom of the leg has a tip, that could be done away with. Or do you have a wall you could place it against...is there a wall on the side where you used to have the sofa?

• lindybarts
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks gk5040. You're in my head...dh and I were just talking about cutting the legs down a bit. I'm not sure how expensive that would be but I think it would help alot. We absolutely love the coffee table now and the end table (also still too big) is growing on us. But that sofa table...gosh that would have looked nice in my dining room but we already have a sideboard table in there. There are no other walls in the house that can accomodate it. The Great room is completely open and no wall space at all. Soooo...I think we are going to move the arrangement back the way it was, decorate some more and check into the cost of cutting it down. Thanks so much for everyone's help! My forearms are aching this morning from moving furniture. ;c)

• patricianat
    16 years ago

I think it is the heaviness of the look of the table and not the size that makes it look bulky. I have the same size table with leather sofa, wood floors, etc., but I chose a glass, wrought iron and wood combination which gives it a more airy look.

• lindybarts
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey Patricia, you just gave me a new idea. I'm wondering the cost feasibility of changing out the legs? Maybe it's too expensive but that might solve alot of problems. I really do love the look of the top part. The distressed wood and color are right up my alley. But the legs are just too bulky. Hmmm...going to call that furniture medic today and see if they even offer that. thanks for the idea!

• allison0704
    16 years ago

I saw a magazine ad tonight and thought of your room, Lindybarts. It was the Bernhardt Repertoire - the iron base with wood top. I'm posting a link to all the tables in the line for you to see, in case you change your mind.

I can see coffee table 802-022 and end table 802-122 in your room, along with one of the sofa tables and another end table, if needed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Repertoire