SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cjzimmer1

What do I need to know to install a ducted range hood

cjzimmer
13 years ago

Our current range hood is a cheap builder's unit. I almost never use it unless I smoke up the space when I pan sear steaks.

Our new stove is black/stainless steel and our dishwasher is black as well. So I wanted to swap our white range hood for a black one to match the colors. I now realize this won't be a 5 minute project. Everything I read says a ducted hood is better than non-ducted. I'm 99.9% sure what we have is non-ducted.

Stove is on an interior wall. A bedroom sits directly behind it. 1st question: Will a duct fit in the space between walls? Because I don't see how it would install if it doesn't fit in the space since the rooms are finished on both sides.

2nd Question: I can go straight up (but we have cathedral ceilings and there is 4 feet between the top of the range hood and the ceiling) and then through the attic and then through the roof or turn it behind the stove and travel about 6 feet to get to an exterior side wall. Which is preferable? From what I've read, straight up is better but I think that is a greater distance (although I'm not sure how much attic space is there) than going to the side wall. Which install is typically more difficult (aka more expensive)? How long would you expect a reasonably knowledgeable handyman (not us!) to take to do this?

3rd Question: I've read that make up air is important in tightly sealed homes. Our house is extremely tight. The energy service people said ours is one of the tightest sealed they've ever seen. We have a whole house fan (installed in the bathroom) to compensate for the extreme moisture problems we use to have. I have no clue what is involved with obtaining make up air with a ducted range hood. Is this a separate opening? Will our whole house fan automatically bring in enough air? We are cooking on electric (new stove will be induction) so I don't have gas fumes to deal with.

Anything else I need to consider/learn about/figure out? I thought picking out a stove was bad enough but I had no idea how much would be involved in a range hood. I'm half tempted to just put in another non-ducted one because then I wouldn't have to think so hard but of course I've done just enough research to know that is probably not the best choice.

Comments (8)