SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
telly2_gw

I need help choosing a paint color for a kitchen island

telly2
14 years ago

I have a very nice solid wood rolling kitchen island that was given to me. It originally had 4x4 white ceramic tile on top, which I replaced with a smaller bluish-green, more rustic finish tile. The new tile has small areas of a dark taupe color also.

The original finish of the wood was sort of an pickled look, like a natural stain with a white-wash effect. I have removed this finish and it is now bare wood.

My dilemma is that I want to paint this wood now, and not only choose a color that sets off the tile, but will work in various rooms...I don't plan on using the island only in my kitchen (where I have oak colored cabinets and a light beige floor), but also on my sun porch ( which is white finished aluminum).

I have read that the trend is to treat kitchen islands as pieces of furniture, and have them to be a different color from your cabinets, so as to have them stand out more. I was thinking of a dark taupe color for the wood, since I think this would look very nice with the tile. But will it look horrible in my kitchen with the oak cabinets ?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert