SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jemdandy

Mailbox meets Snow Plow

jemdandy
10 years ago

In a match up between our mailbox and the snow plow, the plow won!

According to a village employee, a plow operator was trying to clear the street as close to the curb as he could when the wing plow struck ice in front of our maibox and bounced up smaking the defender under the ribs and laid it low for the count. The defender did not bounce back - end of the match - Snow Plow won! This event happened between 4 am and 5 am Saturday morning (01 Mar 1914) while snow was lightly falling.

This event defined what I did on Saturday. It was impossible to set a new post with the frozen ground, so I patched the post back together holding it together with metal band clamps (like long hose clamps) and nailed a couple of pieces back on. It was cold. My feet got cold before I finished, but I think that it will hold until milder weather. Just to make things interesting, it snowed another 1/2 inch on me and my tools while I was re-mounting the box.

We called the Police to report the property damage and at that time, we did not know what had happened. All we knew was that our box was down. The Police soon discovered what had happened and called us back a couple of hours later to inform us. I was told to contact the Village Hall on Monday to work out details. The street dept. had entered a report of the damage. (I wonder how long it would have taken city hall to call us if we had not called the police?)

That was my Saturday in the hinterlands.

Comments (21)